Lead Substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead Substitute

How many of you still add it to your Studebaker's diet? Every tank full?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I'm no Joe Hall, but I have used Studes as daily drivers. Never added anything to the fuel tank except for fuel.

Comment

never have used that in the fuel, but use non-ethanol gas now. i have used ZDDP additive in the oil or a brand that has it included in its formulation.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I try to only use non ethanol and add 4 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each 10 gallons. I use this in my 50 Champ, Model A and all my small engines.

Comment

Stay away from ethanol if at all possible. As for lead subs I do not use them. As I understand it they are just oil but its your choice, your car.

Comment

Lead substitute is generally nothing more than top oil. Doesn't hurt anything but most folks don't drive their Studebakers enough to have any problems with valves due to insufficient lead anyway. My car has hardened valves so it's not an issue, but I still run a half tank or so of 100LL avgas every now and then for some TEL treatment.

Comment

There was a recommendation in the AOAI mag, I believe, to add a cup or so of Diesel to a tank of gas. It might be to help preserve the rubber and plastic parts in the fuel system. I will give it a go and see where it leads. The problem being enough people have said they do nothing and have no problems but others say they have had problems so will be trying a different tact. There doesn't seem to be any consistency. My thought is if it doesn't hurt the environment or my car it can't be all that bad. How good it is....? I will wait and see.

In the mean time, if/when someone finds a fully documented, scientifically proven solution to this question, be it from a news article or Brand-X forum, please post it or provide a link. Inquiring minds need to know! Thanks...

Comment

I use lead additive and Marvel Mystery Oil with each fill up. I burned several valves in my 64 GT Hawk back in the late 80's when low lead fuel was offered. My mechanic suggested using the two and I have never had any trouble since. I do not have the hardened valves in my Studebakers.
                sigpicBob Coolidge
                DeLand, FL

Comment

We've discussed fuel and oil additives here so many times I've lost count and your opinions and results may vary, but personally, I don't use any additives and don't believe in adulterating fuel or oils.

Once more, I have a good friend who's a petroleum engineer. He says, "If it's an additive in the auto parts store shelf, it's snake oil. Think about it. Those marketers buy their petro stock from us and repackage it. If it worked, we could add it to our oil/gas for pennies instead of the dollars per can they charge. Why would we not sell it and brag about it if that additive had any value?"

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by StudeNorm View Post
                    There was a recommendation in the AOAI mag, I believe, to add a cup or so of Diesel to a tank of gas. It might be to help preserve the rubber and plastic parts in the fuel system. I will give it a go and see where it leads. The problem being enough people have said they do nothing and have no problems but others say they have had problems so will be trying a different tact. There doesn't seem to be any consistency. My thought is if it doesn't hurt the environment or my car it can't be all that bad. How good it is....? I will wait and see.

In the mean time, if/when someone finds a fully documented, scientifically proven solution to this question, be it from a news article or Brand-X forum, please post it or provide a link. Inquiring minds need to know! Thanks...
                    My father used to mix kerosene in the gas tank of his '39 Ford, claimed it prevented vapor lock. Makes sense, since it would reduce the vapor point of the gasoline mixture. I guess it worked because he never had problems with vapor lock during all the hot western mountain states vacations we took! He was a chemist and always checked things out from a scientific point of view. He also put moth balls in the tank, swore it increased the octane rating of cheap gas (and the kerosene mix) which is what he usually bought.

Comment

The only additive I add to my gas tank is Stabil Ethanol gas treatment because I don't drive my Stude all the time. I don't want the lousy gas to foul up my carburetor. Seems to be working just fine. It also stabilizes the fuel in my car during the winter. I haven't had my car out all winter because of the icy roads and road salt. Not taking any chances. I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for spring. This has been one miserable winter here on Long Island. In fact, it's snowing now. Shouldn't be too bad though. It's expected to change to rain when the temperature rises tonight and tomorrow.
                      Rog
                      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                      Smithtown,NY
                      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Like Rog I use Sta-Bil Marine (blue) and also Marvel Mystery Oil with each ten gallons. Most winters I drive the car on a day when it is mild and the streets are dry and clear of salt residue. That last happened in December. There is a pile of snow 10' high in the parking spot across the street, so those conditions won't happen for a long time!
                        "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	stp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1695619
                          Studebaker's take on what and when to add to the oil. Of course, they owned the company.

Comment

Never added any to our 51 Commander no trouble in 40000 miles runs great.

Comment

Working...
                            X