Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starliner hood for '56 Skyhawk

Hello all,

I am working on a '56 Skyhawk with the original hood and a trunklid from a starliner. The questions I have is will a hood from a starliner work on the hawk? Do I need fenders from a starliner also? Last but most important, where can I find one for sale?

Thank you

Hello all,

I am working on a '56 Skyhawk with the original hood and a trunklid from a starliner. The questions I have is will a hood from a starliner work on the hawk? Do I need fenders from a starliner also? Last but most important, where can I find one for sale?

Why you would want to ruin a perfectly good '56 Sky Hawk like mine, is beyond my comprehension. Why not just buy a Starliner? Did you know that according to my research, there are only 66 of the original 3,050 Sky Hawks registered in the country? In addition, you would reduce the value of your car as it's no longer authentic. I think you need to think this through before you do anything like this.
    peter lee

Comment

You can make it work with the original fenders,but you must change everything in front of the engine.Radiator,core support,shroud,grill section,bumper,etc.

And I agree with plee4139.I would keep the Sky Hawk,or sell it and buy a 53/54 if that is what you like.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Welcome to the forum...don't mind the resistance towards customizing your own car. Many of us have modified cars and get along well for the most part with the purists. You're not the only one around who wants to, or has made these mods to their car. Starliner hoods, grills, bumpers can be found if you keep your eyes opened, but if they're in good shape, they generally aren't cheap. Any parts from a 53/4 coupe or hardtop should fit. There are also fiberglass hoods made that may fit the bill. Make a post on this forum looking for parts, and use the Studebaker Swap Page. Cheers, Junior.
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I would think out of 66 purported to be extant, less than that are complete and or driveable.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
            You can make it work with the original fenders,but you must change everything in front of the engine.Radiator,core support,shroud,grill section,bumper,etc.

And I agree with plee4139.I would keep the Sky Hawk,or sell it and buy a 53/54 if that is what you like.
            I agree and would keep it historically accurate. There are too many modified cars and not enough nice original cars at every car show I attend.

Comment

To continue Junior's thought, Some of the other necessary parts, the grill surrounds and bars will set one back well over $1000 for decent ones with NOS almost impossible to find and excellent rechromed much more valuable than the $1000. The lower grill sheet metal is also quite difficult to find and expensive if found.

Welcome to the forum, I modify most of what I drive but you should know the economics of what you are suggesting and the difficulty in finding some of the most unobtanium parts in Studedom.

Bob

Comment

If you have a rotted out decklid, it will be a simple bolt-on to replace it with a '53, '54 or a '55 C or K Body Type Lid.

The Hood as you have heard, is not interchangeable. The inner fenders even have to be replaced to use your outer fenders.

None of the parts to do a complete front clip swap are available New in any quantity or reasonable price.

So the best plan is to sell it and buy a '53-'54.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I am glad the OP asked this question. I have been wanting to ask the same question, but re: 56J.

Comment

Good one Joe!!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I think that plee4139's statement about lowering the value of your car is incorrect, I see the market for restored original Studebakers everyday on E bay, just search the ads. The modified vehicles are 40k and up, originals struggle to break 25K (museum quality.) So with out trying to fuel the purists war, I think you should build it the way you will enjoy it. There are plenty of parts and pieces out there, P.M. Bob @ C and B Studebakers, he can find what you need and good luck with whatever you decide, just remember, you are the one that has to drive it, so build it with that in mind!
                      sigpic

Comment

These swaps have been done for decades. Its not terribly difficult to do. You don't need new fenders. All the 53 front end parts can be made to fit with slight modifications. Some body work will need to be done and new bumpers and brackets also are going to be needed. I firmly believe in doing what you want to your own car, but in all honesty, it may be easier and cheaper in the long run to sell the Sky Hawk and get a 53 or 54. Most of the parts you'll need to make the swap complete will end up being very expensive if you buy them piece by piece.
                        And don't mind the nay-sayers. Do what you want. Some folks will moan over the loss of a rusted out Lark 4 door.
                        sals54

Comment

One of the best options rather than trying to buy parts piecemeal is to find a complete parts car. '53-'54 roller cars show up from time to time and can usually be had in the $1200-$2000 range depending on condition and location. By getting a complete car you will have everything you need to do the swap and will probably have pieces left over to sell and recover some of your investment. Understand at that price point pieces may/likely need rust repair or rechroming. And just in case you do not know, sedan sheet metal will not interchange with C-K cars. A friend of mine is just wrapping up a project converting a '55 Commander to '53 nose and that was his method.

That said, as others have opined, if you want the '53-'54 look, selling your desirable '56 Skyhawk and finding a car that meets your desires may be an easier route to take.
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                          X