Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upholstery cost 1962 GT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Upholstery cost 1962 GT

    The time has come to fix the floor of my "rust free" 1962 GT and I am going to do the interior. What is a reasonable price to do the seats and the carpet?? The local guy is taking the seats down to the bare frame and building them up from there with all new materials and covering with vinyl with cloth inserts and replacing the carpet. Just going to freshen up the door panels with some dying of the faded portions. Anyone have an idea what a reasonable price for this should be????

  • #2
    GT seat covers and carpet from SE Studebaker, which is as close as possible to "correct", costs around $1200, last I heard; it includes separate carpet pieces for bottom of door panels, rear panels, kick panels, firewall, etc.. But then, you'd have to install it yourself, which is easier said than done.

    If you can find someone to fabricate & install same professionally, and it is "correct" enough for you, then I'd say $1000-$1500 for what you are describing is acceptable, considering the price of materials & labor.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I actually made money when I put the new interior in my '62 GT. Picked up another '62 GT from JDP in Maryland which had a brand new interior and hauled it back to Richmond. Pulled the seats and carpet from mine, installed new carpet and added the seats from the "Looks Like Hell Hawk". Bought some cheap mismatched front and rear seats from N8N and put them in the LLHH. Turned around and sold the LLHH for $250 more than I paid for it and still had the original interior with mine (which only had loose map pockets and a couple of cracked spots).
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

      The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

      �Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

      For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

      "All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 30seagrave View Post
        The time has come to fix the floor of my "rust free" 1962 GT and I am going to do the interior. What is a reasonable price to do the seats and the carpet?? The local guy is taking the seats down to the bare frame and building them up from there with all new materials and covering with vinyl with cloth inserts and replacing the carpet. Just going to freshen up the door panels with some dying of the faded portions. Anyone have an idea what a reasonable price for this should be????
        My question to you is, "What is your expectations on the final look?"

        I'm stunned that you did not have a quote price from the provider before you started. If you did, why ask the question now?

        There are 100s of upholstery terms and looks that vary prices to the final product.

        BUT

        Be careful of an upholster that will not give you a price upfront. You should have drawings and colors and material picked out before you hand anything over.. If not, You could be looking at a constant milking of your bank account, Or worse, a look you will not real be happy with..

        I have had front and rear seats done for $500, no foam rebuild, but I did not expect them to look like this..



        You do not want to know what this cost...

        Comment


        • #5
          Where is N8N these days? I haven't heard from him in a few years.

          Originally posted by Guido View Post
          I actually made money when I put the new interior in my '62 GT. Picked up another '62 GT from JDP in Maryland which had a brand new interior and hauled it back to Richmond. Pulled the seats and carpet from mine, installed new carpet and added the seats from the "Looks Like Hell Hawk". Bought some cheap mismatched front and rear seats from N8N and put them in the LLHH. Turned around and sold the LLHH for $250 more than I paid for it and still had the original interior with mine (which only had loose map pockets and a couple of cracked spots).
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

          Comment


          • #6
            To install covers without foam rebuild is like taking the rattiest lookin, rusted out Stude you can find and simply shooting paint on it. Both of them are gonna look like crap. I often see GT Hawks with beautiful front seat covers, yet the foam supported side cushions look dilapidated, because someone simply slipped the covers over worn out foam. Makes me want to ask, why would someone do that?

            So for the OP, in shopping for someone to make and/or install your upholstery, be sure to address foam renewal. Though a PITA, buying the kit and installing it yourself, may be worth considering, and you will learn a lot if never done that kinda work before. I used extra firm memory foam in the bottom front bench seat of a couple of 56Js, and they looked good and sat very well. I also used horsehair backed, Mercedes seat bottoms in a couple of GTs and they turned out well. When it comes to carpet, if pre-cut, it is easy to install.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              Where is N8N these days? I haven't heard from him in a few years.
              He has lost interest. I still have his 55 coupe returning to nature in my back yard. I just got it started and moved out of pity after 3 years. He's going to send me the title so I can prep and sell it.
              JDP Maryland

              Comment


              • #8
                I do have an estimate for this work...I thought it was on the steep side but good paint is not cheap either...$3500.00...it is down to the bare frames and back up with all new materials

                Comment


                • #9
                  Is that just the seats or is that door panels and carpet with head liner? complete thats a good price. Just the seats a little on the high side.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Musta found a girl. As one Stude addict told me many, many years ago, the difference between cars and women is that when you get pissed at a car, you can slam the garage door and it will still be there later. Tell him "Hey!"

                    Originally posted by JDP View Post
                    He has lost interest. I still have his 55 coupe returning to nature in my back yard. I just got it started and moved out of pity after 3 years. He's going to send me the title so I can prep and sell it.
                    Ron Dame
                    '63 Champ

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      seats and carpet...dye and freshen up the door panels and minor tweaking to the head liner

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        We do not need to know!.....if you have the funds and it makes you happy........go at it!!.......for the great majority of those reading this we all have more in the rear than in the front!.....the interior looks absolute beautiful!.......and my uncle was in the interior business for over 60 yrs! Wish my Avanti looked this good:-)
                        Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                        My question to you is, "What is your expectations on the final look?"

                        I'm stunned that you did not have a quote price from the provider before you started. If you did, why ask the question now?

                        There are 100s of upholstery terms and looks that vary prices to the final product.

                        BUT

                        Be careful of an upholster that will not give you a price upfront. You should have drawings and colors and material picked out before you hand anything over.. If not, You could be looking at a constant milking of your bank account, Or worse, a look you will not real be happy with..

                        I have had front and rear seats done for $500, no foam rebuild, but I did not expect them to look like this..



                        You do not want to know what this cost...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As my father cautioned me many many years ago, if it has tires or breasts it's gonna be trouble:-(
                          Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                          Musta found a girl. As one Stude addict told me many, many years ago, the difference between cars and women is that when you get pissed at a car, you can slam the garage door and it will still be there later. Tell him "Hey!"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
                            Where is N8N these days? I haven't heard from him in a few years.
                            I have contact with Nate regularly on Facebook. Lots of people who have left the forum still socialize together on Facebook.
                            Proud NON-CASO

                            I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

                            If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

                            GOD BLESS AMERICA

                            Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

                            Illegitimi non carborundum

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X