'57 Packard Clipper 4 door on e-bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Packard Clipper 4 door on e-bay

Car is located in Ohio, no supercharger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-...QQcmdZViewItem

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

An exquisite Automobile, [^] the most luxurious car that Studebaker ever built!

The '55 President State Sedan was just about as luxurious INSIDE, but certainly not as Classy and pretty as this on the outside.

While not perfect, this one does look to be in very fine museum quality condition.[^]

MAY not be too pretty under the hood and underneath, (since they don't show it) but great on the outside.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

An exquisite Automobile, [^] the most luxurious car that Studebaker ever built!

The '55 President State Sedan was just about as luxurious INSIDE, but certainly not as Classy and pretty as this on the outside.

While not perfect, this one does look to be in very fine museum quality condition.[^]

MAY not be too pretty under the hood and underneath, (since they don't show it) but great on the outside.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Looks like a wonderful 1957 Packard. If you are looking for a clean, SURVIVOR Packard from 1957 this car IS IT. Bid!!!!

Studedude1961
        --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Looks like a wonderful 1957 Packard. If you are looking for a clean, SURVIVOR Packard from 1957 this car IS IT. Bid!!!!

Studedude1961
          --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Hi

Man, would I love that Packard, the only thing keeping me from hitting the "Bid" button is my lack of good storage for it.

Those are the classiest and most luxurious Studebaker of the Post-War years, but only just a slight notch above the '56 President Classic on which they are based.

I wish Studebaker had kept 120" wheelbase Y-body sedans in President and even a Commander version after the '58 model year. Those models would have been a good complement to the Larks and Hawks. They would also resulted in more sales to loyal customers for whom neither the Lark or Hawk was the type of car they wanted. I think many buyers of Presidents and Packard models from the '55-'58 years turned to other makes at trade-in time when they could no longer buy a full size four door luxury sedan from their Studebaker dealer.

Steve

Comment

Hi

Man, would I love that Packard, the only thing keeping me from hitting the "Bid" button is my lack of good storage for it.

Those are the classiest and most luxurious Studebaker of the Post-War years, but only just a slight notch above the '56 President Classic on which they are based.

I wish Studebaker had kept 120" wheelbase Y-body sedans in President and even a Commander version after the '58 model year. Those models would have been a good complement to the Larks and Hawks. They would also resulted in more sales to loyal customers for whom neither the Lark or Hawk was the type of car they wanted. I think many buyers of Presidents and Packard models from the '55-'58 years turned to other makes at trade-in time when they could no longer buy a full size four door luxury sedan from their Studebaker dealer.

Steve

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 56H-Y6

Steve
                Some folks would argue against your point, Steve, but the facts are with you. They probably just didn't have enough money to market a long-wheelbase car in 1959 and 1960, except the taxicab. When they glamorized the taxicab to create the 1961 Cruiser, it was a resounding success as percentage of overall sales.

Fred Fox did a feature article on long-wheelbase postwar sedans a few years ago. I was among those who were surprised at how popular they were, again, as percentage of overall sales. [:0] BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 56H-Y6

Steve
                  Some folks would argue against your point, Steve, but the facts are with you. They probably just didn't have enough money to market a long-wheelbase car in 1959 and 1960, except the taxicab. When they glamorized the taxicab to create the 1961 Cruiser, it was a resounding success as percentage of overall sales.

Fred Fox did a feature article on long-wheelbase postwar sedans a few years ago. I was among those who were surprised at how popular they were, again, as percentage of overall sales. [:0] BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi Bob
                    Thanks for the insights, I suspect that financing was in such short supply that continuation of the 120" wheelbase Y-body was precluded.

As further insight into the profitability of the Y-body Studebakers and Packards in 1957 and after, order a copy of "Automotive History Review" Fall 2006, Issue Number 46. The issue is available directly from the Society of Automotive Historians.

The article is "Packards From South Bend: Economic Perspectives on "The Last Packards" Decision Part I" by Robert R Ebert, Ph. D. and Niccole M. Pamphilis.
                    It is the best analysis of the why and wherefores of those cars you will ever read and has many deeper insights than one will ever find in any other source. Once you've read the article, you will understand that continuing the full size Y-body sedans would have been positive to the bottom line. Those sedans were a high profit margin model.

If you reread Fred Fox's fine luxury sedans articles, you will find my observation regarding the conceptual parallels between the Land Cruiser body layout and the '42 and '46-'47 Cadillac 60 Special.
                    I had checked the percentage of overall production the Y-Body sedans had generated through their variation. It averages out to 10% of Studebakers' overall production for those years 1947-'58. My theory is, as high profit models, their continuation might have added another 10% to overall sales and more much need cash to the coffers.
                    Steve

Comment

Hi Bob
                      Thanks for the insights, I suspect that financing was in such short supply that continuation of the 120" wheelbase Y-body was precluded.

As further insight into the profitability of the Y-body Studebakers and Packards in 1957 and after, order a copy of "Automotive History Review" Fall 2006, Issue Number 46. The issue is available directly from the Society of Automotive Historians.

The article is "Packards From South Bend: Economic Perspectives on "The Last Packards" Decision Part I" by Robert R Ebert, Ph. D. and Niccole M. Pamphilis.
                      It is the best analysis of the why and wherefores of those cars you will ever read and has many deeper insights than one will ever find in any other source. Once you've read the article, you will understand that continuing the full size Y-body sedans would have been positive to the bottom line. Those sedans were a high profit margin model.

If you reread Fred Fox's fine luxury sedans articles, you will find my observation regarding the conceptual parallels between the Land Cruiser body layout and the '42 and '46-'47 Cadillac 60 Special.
                      I had checked the percentage of overall production the Y-Body sedans had generated through their variation. It averages out to 10% of Studebakers' overall production for those years 1947-'58. My theory is, as high profit models, their continuation might have added another 10% to overall sales and more much need cash to the coffers.
                      Steve

Comment

Wow, that's a pretty car! I think I'm gonna add a '57 Packardbaker to my 'want' list.

Matthew Burnette
                        '59 Scotsman
                        '63 Daytona
                        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Wow, that's a pretty car! I think I'm gonna add a '57 Packardbaker to my 'want' list.

Matthew Burnette
                          '59 Scotsman
                          '63 Daytona
                          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

When you say, "no super-charger", does that mean it had one and it was taken off? Pretty car. My mothers '55 Packard Patrician was beautiful. Had new tires, battery, fabulous interior appointments and tranny went south(1966) and they sold it for $50 bucks! My dad had just had a stroke and we needed a car so my mother could go to the hospital to visit. I still miss that car. ernie

Comment

When you say, "no super-charger", does that mean it had one and it was taken off? Pretty car. My mothers '55 Packard Patrician was beautiful. Had new tires, battery, fabulous interior appointments and tranny went south(1966) and they sold it for $50 bucks! My dad had just had a stroke and we needed a car so my mother could go to the hospital to visit. I still miss that car. ernie

Comment

Working...
                              X