Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket heater for 54 C body

Hello all,
    I have picked up a 54 commander c body. The PO put in a sbchevy, Turbo350, dual exhaust etc. While I'm not a real street rod afficiando, I couldn't pass the car up. The installation makes it impossible to use factory floor heater. As I live on the Oregon Coast where the sun comes out once a year LOL.....anyone have a suggestion for an aftermarker heater/defroster set up? Not looking for adding ac. Just want to drive it with heat and clear windows..any help would be welcomed. Mark

Originally posted by CoosBayMark View Post
    Hello all,
    The installation makes it impossible to use factory floor heater.
    Mark, can you give a little more detail on why you can't use the factory floor heater...many of us have modified C/K body Studes with working factory style heaters. Cheers, Junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

i think "Junior" is correct. but if not - Jegs and probably others have "Hot Rod" heaters with accessories for a defroster.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-506101

Comment

this Vintage Air unit seems like a good alternative, fairly compact too, and probably do a better job of keeping the windshield clear then the factory defroster system, especially in a cool, humid climate like Oregon. My only concern would is that it would be out in plain view for all to see, no where to hide it in a c/k interior without putting it behind some sort of cover/console. The stock stude defroster may be weak, but I find the heater to keep me nice and toasty and the whole system is neat and out of all visible sightlines when sitting in the car. cheers, junior
          sigpic
          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

There were lots of firewall heaters available in the 40's and 50's. They were sold by Sears, Firestone tire, Pep boys, and the like.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
            X