Junk Yard Auction in Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Yard Auction in Indiana

Very interesting cars. I only saw one Studebaker...a 63 Lark.

http://www.brewerauctionservice.com/

Click on this topic:

Saturday, November 17 - 9:00 a.m. - CLASSIC CARS

* Mitchell, Indiana

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Ummm, just wondering....is this a Muntz Jet with a 55 Chevy grille?

Mark Anderson
    1965 Cruiser
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm
    Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

Ummm, just wondering....is this a Muntz Jet with a 55 Chevy grille?

Mark Anderson
      1965 Cruiser
      http://home.alltel.net/anderm
      Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

Unbelievable. They post another photo of the Stude later on, Leonard; it is a 1963 Cruiser. (You're right; that's the only Stude I saw, too!)

This can't be but a quarter-mile down Route 60 and on the other side of the road from a memorable auction of exactly this nature that took place in Mitchell circa 1977. The eccentric Mitchell Ford dealer made all his money selling new Ford school bus chassis to a local school bus plant, and cared little about the automobile business. He just parked all his trade-ins in a field west of 37 on 60 for decades.

Finally, the land was worth so much by the mid-70s that they held a huge auction to clear out the area; hundreds of cars going back to the teens. I was there and helped a friend buy and remove intact(!) two postwar Mercury convertibles: a 1947 and a 1948. Few Studebakers, as this current auction bill confirms: The Stude dealer in the area must not have been very good.

Boy, I hate to see sales like these; most of the cars will break in two if you try to extract them whole...but at least hobbyists get a crack at them and their parts before the land becomes a Wal-Mart...or that new Crown Jewel of United States "industry": a distribution center for China-made goods. [xx(]

BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Unbelievable. They post another photo of the Stude later on, Leonard; it is a 1963 Cruiser. (You're right; that's the only Stude I saw, too!)

This can't be but a quarter-mile down Route 60 and on the other side of the road from a memorable auction of exactly this nature that took place in Mitchell circa 1977. The eccentric Mitchell Ford dealer made all his money selling new Ford school bus chassis to a local school bus plant, and cared little about the automobile business. He just parked all his trade-ins in a field west of 37 on 60 for decades.

Finally, the land was worth so much by the mid-70s that they held a huge auction to clear out the area; hundreds of cars going back to the teens. I was there and helped a friend buy and remove intact(!) two postwar Mercury convertibles: a 1947 and a 1948. Few Studebakers, as this current auction bill confirms: The Stude dealer in the area must not have been very good.

Boy, I hate to see sales like these; most of the cars will break in two if you try to extract them whole...but at least hobbyists get a crack at them and their parts before the land becomes a Wal-Mart...or that new Crown Jewel of United States "industry": a distribution center for China-made goods. [xx(]

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The Studebaker is so desirable the pictued it twice. we are on top now....

Erin Hays
            "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
            RZRECTD
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Lark
            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

The Studebaker is so desirable the pictued it twice. we are on top now....

Erin Hays
              "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
              RZRECTD
              1961 Hawk
              1962 Lark
              1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Just went to this type of sale in Penna. where ll of the cars were Studebakers and yes they fell apart when moved. Another sad day for the hobbyist where there may be a few parts but little else. I think that is a Muntz Jet in that one picture.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Just went to this type of sale in Penna. where ll of the cars were Studebakers and yes they fell apart when moved. Another sad day for the hobbyist where there may be a few parts but little else. I think that is a Muntz Jet in that one picture.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

BP: "...but at least hobbyists get a crack at them and their parts before the land becomes a Wal-Mart...or that new Crown Jewel of United States "industry": a distribution center for China-made goods..."

Kind of redundant don't you think Bob?

55 Commander
                    58 Transtar
                    62 GT Hawk
                    66 Cruiser

Comment

BP: "...but at least hobbyists get a crack at them and their parts before the land becomes a Wal-Mart...or that new Crown Jewel of United States "industry": a distribution center for China-made goods..."

Kind of redundant don't you think Bob?

55 Commander
                      58 Transtar
                      62 GT Hawk
                      66 Cruiser

Comment

Or as a fellow SDCer (to remain anonymous) once called Wal-Mart "The marketing arm of the Communist Chinese government".

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Or as a fellow SDCer (to remain anonymous) once called Wal-Mart "The marketing arm of the Communist Chinese government".

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I do not think the car pictured is a Muntz Jet. IIRC, The Muntz had a very wide section of the front fender outboard of the headlight, not more convential placement as on the car pictured. I believe that there were less than 400 Muntz Jets built and a small number survive.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I do not think the car pictured is a Muntz Jet. IIRC, The Muntz had a very wide section of the front fender outboard of the headlight, not more convential placement as on the car pictured. I believe that there were less than 400 Muntz Jets built and a small number survive.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X