X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8E45E
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by sirbum
    Now, as we all know, todays "smart cars" make it too easy and convenient to get lazy.
    As far as I know, most Public Service vehicles STILL have this above the driver's door handle; even on the new ones!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• sirbum
    replied
    Huh, things I just was mindful of in retrospect. Usually there is a rule that air captive tires will lose generally one pound of air every 30 days (one month) So, I've had my 2007 car for 8 months, they door sticker says to keep tires inflated to 32 pounds. So, I fall into that gerneral rule of air loss per month. Secondly, I remember making my kids check there fluids and air in the tires every Saturday before they would drive away for the day. They always had an excuse during the week. That was plausible, but Saturdays, no drive the car without checking first. It was tough, but staying on top of them made it safer for both of us. Now, as we all know, todays "smart cars" make it too easy and convenient to get lazy.

Leave a comment:

• sirbum
    replied
    Huh, things I just was mindful of in retrospect. Usually there is a rule that air captive tires will lose generally one pound of air every 30 days (one month) So, I've had my 2007 car for 8 months, they door sticker says to keep tires inflated to 32 pounds. So, I fall into that gerneral rule of air loss per month. Secondly, I remember making my kids check there fluids and air in the tires every Saturday before they would drive away for the day. They always had an excuse during the week. That was plausible, but Saturdays, no drive the car without checking first. It was tough, but staying on top of them made it safer for both of us. Now, as we all know, todays "smart cars" make it too easy and convenient to get lazy.

Leave a comment:

• cjsteak
    replied
    My 1995 F150 (208k and still runs like new ) Had it's original battery until 2004. I figured it had to be a record of some sort. It was a Motorcraft battery and was date coded 1994 which is common for Ford "soft" parts to be dated a year or two prior to actual use.

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Leave a comment:

• cjsteak
    replied
    My 1995 F150 (208k and still runs like new ) Had it's original battery until 2004. I figured it had to be a record of some sort. It was a Motorcraft battery and was date coded 1994 which is common for Ford "soft" parts to be dated a year or two prior to actual use.

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Just replaced the original battery on my 2002 Explorer two Sunday's ago. It died where I store a number of my items so I was able to jump it off my rollback truck and get home.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Just replaced the original battery on my 2002 Explorer two Sunday's ago. It died where I store a number of my items so I was able to jump it off my rollback truck and get home.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

On newer cars, a bad battery won't give you that slow crank warning that we know and love... there is a voltage switch (bistable) that once the voltage is below, prevents any start. Consequently, the car starts fine until that point is reached, then no start.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
    At approximately what voltage level does this cut off happen?

A related question - What is the average lifespan of an original equipment battery these days? I have one car 79 months and another car 88 months on the original batteries. I was going to replace them on principle, but most tell me to just wait for them to go bad.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

On newer cars, a bad battery won't give you that slow crank warning that we know and love... there is a voltage switch (bistable) that once the voltage is below, prevents any start. Consequently, the car starts fine until that point is reached, then no start.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
    At approximately what voltage level does this cut off happen?

A related question - What is the average lifespan of an original equipment battery these days? I have one car 79 months and another car 88 months on the original batteries. I was going to replace them on principle, but most tell me to just wait for them to go bad.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    Scary world when the automobiles we drive are smarter than we are![B)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• Mark57
    replied
    Scary world when the automobiles we drive are smarter than we are![B)]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>

Leave a comment:

• dictator27
    replied
    How about cars that have a warning light that comes on when the oil level is too high? Chrysler Crossfire.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• dictator27
    replied
    How about cars that have a warning light that comes on when the oil level is too high? Chrysler Crossfire.

Terry

Leave a comment:

• doug
    replied
    first comment - I check all the cars on the 1st saturday of every month and add air to most of the tires. They all seep air through the rubber.

second comment. I have 4 tire gauges and they all read different pressures on the same tire. If you have only one, do you believe what it says. How do you check the claibration?

Leave a comment:

• doug
    replied
    first comment - I check all the cars on the 1st saturday of every month and add air to most of the tires. They all seep air through the rubber.

second comment. I have 4 tire gauges and they all read different pressures on the same tire. If you have only one, do you believe what it says. How do you check the claibration?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X