No announcement yet.

Air apparent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about cars that have a warning light that comes on when the oil level is too high? Chrysler Crossfire.

Terry

Comment

How about cars that have a warning light that comes on when the oil level is too high? Chrysler Crossfire.

Terry

Comment

Scary world when the automobiles we drive are smarter than we are![B)]

<h5>Mark
        '57 Transtar
        3E-6/7-122
        </h5>

Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Scary world when the automobiles we drive are smarter than we are![B)]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>

Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

On newer cars, a bad battery won't give you that slow crank warning that we know and love... there is a voltage switch (bistable) that once the voltage is below, prevents any start. Consequently, the car starts fine until that point is reached, then no start.

Las Vegas, NV
            '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
            At approximately what voltage level does this cut off happen?

A related question - What is the average lifespan of an original equipment battery these days? I have one car 79 months and another car 88 months on the original batteries. I was going to replace them on principle, but most tell me to just wait for them to go bad.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

On newer cars, a bad battery won't give you that slow crank warning that we know and love... there is a voltage switch (bistable) that once the voltage is below, prevents any start. Consequently, the car starts fine until that point is reached, then no start.

Las Vegas, NV
              '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434
              At approximately what voltage level does this cut off happen?

A related question - What is the average lifespan of an original equipment battery these days? I have one car 79 months and another car 88 months on the original batteries. I was going to replace them on principle, but most tell me to just wait for them to go bad.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Just replaced the original battery on my 2002 Explorer two Sunday's ago. It died where I store a number of my items so I was able to jump it off my rollback truck and get home.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Just replaced the original battery on my 2002 Explorer two Sunday's ago. It died where I store a number of my items so I was able to jump it off my rollback truck and get home.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

My 1995 F150 (208k and still runs like new ) Had it's original battery until 2004. I figured it had to be a record of some sort. It was a Motorcraft battery and was date coded 1994 which is common for Ford "soft" parts to be dated a year or two prior to actual use.

Chris Salisbury
                    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

My 1995 F150 (208k and still runs like new ) Had it's original battery until 2004. I figured it had to be a record of some sort. It was a Motorcraft battery and was date coded 1994 which is common for Ford "soft" parts to be dated a year or two prior to actual use.

Chris Salisbury
                      Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

Huh, things I just was mindful of in retrospect. Usually there is a rule that air captive tires will lose generally one pound of air every 30 days (one month) So, I've had my 2007 car for 8 months, they door sticker says to keep tires inflated to 32 pounds. So, I fall into that gerneral rule of air loss per month. Secondly, I remember making my kids check there fluids and air in the tires every Saturday before they would drive away for the day. They always had an excuse during the week. That was plausible, but Saturdays, no drive the car without checking first. It was tough, but staying on top of them made it safer for both of us. Now, as we all know, todays "smart cars" make it too easy and convenient to get lazy.

Comment

Huh, things I just was mindful of in retrospect. Usually there is a rule that air captive tires will lose generally one pound of air every 30 days (one month) So, I've had my 2007 car for 8 months, they door sticker says to keep tires inflated to 32 pounds. So, I fall into that gerneral rule of air loss per month. Secondly, I remember making my kids check there fluids and air in the tires every Saturday before they would drive away for the day. They always had an excuse during the week. That was plausible, but Saturdays, no drive the car without checking first. It was tough, but staying on top of them made it safer for both of us. Now, as we all know, todays "smart cars" make it too easy and convenient to get lazy.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sirbum
                            Now, as we all know, todays "smart cars" make it too easy and convenient to get lazy.
                            As far as I know, most Public Service vehicles STILL have this above the driver's door handle; even on the new ones!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sirbum
                              Now, as we all know, todays "smart cars" make it too easy and convenient to get lazy.
                              As far as I know, most Public Service vehicles STILL have this above the driver's door handle; even on the new ones!

Craig

Comment

Craig - That must be a Canadian thing. For example, last Thursday, I went to an auction of more than 100 vehicles that were government owned - various police agencies, Office for the Aging, Mental Health Dept., etc., and not one had anything like that sticker. When I worked for a livery company, we had a pre-trip checklist, but I never remember seeing a sticker even similar to the one that you posted. (I didn't want to "reply with quote" in order to prevent redoing your sticker post.)

Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                                X