Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying exactly what model I have.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying exactly what model I have.

My 49 Commander starlight has a cowl tag of 16A-C3.Is this a base model Commander or is it a Regal Deluxe?Thanks

C3 would be a lower trim level coupe, I believe. Not sure about '49, but by '53 that was Deluxe.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Another quick way of telling is if the windshield and rear window have stainless trim over the rubber seal. If it does not then it is NOT the Regal trim package. There are other ways to tell but that is one of the more obvious ways of telling.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Car does not have the chrome around windshield, but it did have the more highly optioned grille package not seen on most the Commanders I have seen..Thus the confusion. lol

Comment

C-1 Custom; C-2 Custom Deluxe; C-3 Regal Deluxe.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
            C-1 Custom; C-2 Custom Deluxe; C-3 Regal Deluxe.
            I do not believe that you are correct for a 1949 Commander, the subject car.

1949 Commander: 16A-C3 is Deluxe Starlight coupe; 16A-C5 is Regal Deluxe Starlight copupe
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As difficult as it is to install those Mouldings with a Rubber Seal or Glass replacement, I am not surprised that they are missing. It's just a C3 without!

If there were ALL those lower level Customs, wouldn't the Top TWO have Stainless Windshield and Backglass Mouldings?

What about Door Window surround Mouldings, does it have those? That could be the difference between C3 and C5.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My car does have the chrome surround around the door windows, but does not have the chrome surround on the windshield, although I would like to put that chrome on the car.It also does not have chrome wing window frames either,and has painted ribbed seat trim instead of the chrome ones.And did not have the chrome ribs on the lower door panel.It also had no outside rear view mirror.It seems the optioned grille package is the only "extras" this car came with.

Comment

Working...
                X