No announcement yet.

15,000 mile 67 Avanti II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was basically my point, I'm buying it back like it looks now, not fresh off the barn floor and if it's fine now, that's all I care about. Unless we have a severe case of global warming and sea level rise, it's unlikely Ohio will be on the coast. I did not see it with the body off, so I'll take your word for the scaling, but even in a barn is better than on the road in Ohio. I could not see the top of the frame when I had it, but did bang on the bottom before I bought it the first time and it sure did not look like it had been in a lake. I guess I'll see for myself when I get it, but I'll bet Ray sand blasted and painted the frame. Of course the fact that Avanti II framed were stored outside in South Bend did not help keep them nice either.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date
    $$60,984.29
    63 R2 SuperHawk
    63 Lark 2 door
    54 Starlight
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

You're correct I guess, just a knee jerk reaction to a comment i did not understand about a car I thought knew.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT cost to date
      $$60,984.29
      63 R2 SuperHawk
      63 Lark 2 door
      54 Starlight
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

You're correct I guess, just a knee jerk reaction to a comment i did not understand about a car I thought knew.

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT cost to date
        $$60,984.29
        63 R2 SuperHawk
        63 Lark 2 door
        54 Starlight
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That must be a very early Avanti II, is that 1966 or 1967? It has no side marker lights
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          1968 would be the first model year with side marker lights.
          If we knew the serial number, that should put any question of year to rest.
          There were only 41 Avanti IIs built in 1967. I believe that was the lowest production year for Avantis until 1986 when none were built and then the 1991 Kevlar convertibles.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

That must be a very early Avanti II, is that 1966 or 1967? It has no side marker lights
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            1968 would be the first model year with side marker lights.
            If we knew the serial number, that should put any question of year to rest.
            There were only 41 Avanti IIs built in 1967. I believe that was the lowest production year for Avantis until 1986 when none were built and then the 1991 Kevlar convertibles.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Here's what I got from Ray on his part of the restoration on the car, Scott's NASCAR guys did the drive line after.:

"We did a good job reworking the frame, and the replacing the end of one damaged trough.I don't think there will be any future issues there. The rest of the troughs were very solid (how the he** they survived is beyond me). The suspension was totally rebuilt... with the addition of a later disk setup that a friend here in NC designed. You use the original Studebaker hub with the drum removed- and longer studs installed. A Chrysler rotor slips over the studs. The bracket uses GM Calipers. All the mechanical systems were rebuilt. I just remember every stinking nut/bolt stripping, breaking, or having to be cut-off, drilled and tapped. Not a single thing went "easily" on that car. It was very discouraging to work on (always something)... Fortunately- there isn't anything left that HASN'T been repaired/replaced.
              This car was built to be a solid DRIVER... NOT a show piece. So, we took some "liberties" with original pieces that would have been replaced for a show-car.

Brian had a (NASCAR)racing guy build and install the eng/trans, so I never got to drive, adjust, shakedown the car....

To be honest.... I don't remember everything that was done, or replaced, etc... I still have many photos, but the disk I stored ALL the pictures of the restoration process- got corrupted. I'm not positive- but I think Brian may have a copy.
              Here's a general list from my (not too specific) invoices:

1. rebuild front susp (new KP needle bearings and upper thrust, bushings were OK), wheel bearings, seals, I think the outer bushings were OK? I can't remember what we used for inners (originals or delrin?)- and I don't have a clear enough photo.I found a pic of them completely disassembled though.

2. Retro-fit early-style center pin (bellcrank w/bearings)
              3. Pull/align frame, weld X-member, replace rusty areas of lower plate, rework damaged spring pocket,
              4. New bushings in frame and rear springs
              5. rebuild control valve, steering box clean/renewal (new pitman shaft seal),
              6. Frame sandblasted- POR15'd

7. all new metal brake lines, fuel lines,
              8. Historic Auto seat covers (door panels/other interior is original)
              9. LOTS of fiberglass repair
              10. exterior body stripped- jambs/trunk OK..., plastic media blasted
              11. Bumpers rechromed
              12. all new weatherstrips,
              13. all small parts- brackets, hinges etc... detailed
              14. dyed dash, interior parts,

All totaled. he spent about 17K with me... but that included almost all of the parts , interior, tires, etc... just
              If you have any other questions ... call me

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT cost to date
              $60,984.29
              63 R2 SuperHawk
              63 Lark 2 door
              54 Starlight
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Here's what I got from Ray on his part of the restoration on the car, Scott's NASCAR guys did the drive line after.:

"We did a good job reworking the frame, and the replacing the end of one damaged trough.I don't think there will be any future issues there. The rest of the troughs were very solid (how the he** they survived is beyond me). The suspension was totally rebuilt... with the addition of a later disk setup that a friend here in NC designed. You use the original Studebaker hub with the drum removed- and longer studs installed. A Chrysler rotor slips over the studs. The bracket uses GM Calipers. All the mechanical systems were rebuilt. I just remember every stinking nut/bolt stripping, breaking, or having to be cut-off, drilled and tapped. Not a single thing went "easily" on that car. It was very discouraging to work on (always something)... Fortunately- there isn't anything left that HASN'T been repaired/replaced.
                This car was built to be a solid DRIVER... NOT a show piece. So, we took some "liberties" with original pieces that would have been replaced for a show-car.

Brian had a (NASCAR)racing guy build and install the eng/trans, so I never got to drive, adjust, shakedown the car....

To be honest.... I don't remember everything that was done, or replaced, etc... I still have many photos, but the disk I stored ALL the pictures of the restoration process- got corrupted. I'm not positive- but I think Brian may have a copy.
                Here's a general list from my (not too specific) invoices:

1. rebuild front susp (new KP needle bearings and upper thrust, bushings were OK), wheel bearings, seals, I think the outer bushings were OK? I can't remember what we used for inners (originals or delrin?)- and I don't have a clear enough photo.I found a pic of them completely disassembled though.

2. Retro-fit early-style center pin (bellcrank w/bearings)
                3. Pull/align frame, weld X-member, replace rusty areas of lower plate, rework damaged spring pocket,
                4. New bushings in frame and rear springs
                5. rebuild control valve, steering box clean/renewal (new pitman shaft seal),
                6. Frame sandblasted- POR15'd

7. all new metal brake lines, fuel lines,
                8. Historic Auto seat covers (door panels/other interior is original)
                9. LOTS of fiberglass repair
                10. exterior body stripped- jambs/trunk OK..., plastic media blasted
                11. Bumpers rechromed
                12. all new weatherstrips,
                13. all small parts- brackets, hinges etc... detailed
                14. dyed dash, interior parts,

All totaled. he spent about 17K with me... but that included almost all of the parts , interior, tires, etc... just
                If you have any other questions ... call me

JDP/Maryland
                64 R2 GT cost to date
                $60,984.29
                63 R2 SuperHawk
                63 Lark 2 door
                54 Starlight
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland