Pics of the "New" '58 Commander Starlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of the "New" '58 Commander Starlight

Wow, the pics really make this car look rough. In person it looks MUCH better. The only rust i've found on the car is the front floorboards, and one of the fins has a small rust hole in it. The rest of the car is super strong. I'll be taking more pics later this evening. For now I need to clean all the rat crap out of it and take a shower in peroxide. LOL

Here's the link:

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc254/cjsteak/

Let me know if the link doesn't work and i'll try something else.

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop Coupe

CONGRATULATIONS! Don't see a lot of rust through, but where will you find a rear window?

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS! Don't see a lot of rust through, but where will you find a rear window?

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

You have a really good point there Leonard. I could've swore I found a place that had rear windows for this this thing. Although they just say "1958 coupe". Does anyone know if the windshield or rear window were shared with a more common production Stude?

I've made a few observations of the car and want your opinion on it. Were the following items optional: Rear mounted antenna (I saw a pic of a coupe with it on the front fender... not sure which is correct), preset button radio, clock in dash... and i'll think of a few other things when I snoop around it somemore.

The carburetor and radiator cap are original.

Can anyone tell me anything about the serial number on the car? It's in the gallery I posted more pics of the car. Was this an early or late production car, judging by the data plate?

Thanks guys,

Chris

Comment

You have a really good point there Leonard. I could've swore I found a place that had rear windows for this this thing. Although they just say "1958 coupe". Does anyone know if the windshield or rear window were shared with a more common production Stude?

I've made a few observations of the car and want your opinion on it. Were the following items optional: Rear mounted antenna (I saw a pic of a coupe with it on the front fender... not sure which is correct), preset button radio, clock in dash... and i'll think of a few other things when I snoop around it somemore.

Can anyone tell me anything about the serial number on the car? It's in the gallery I posted more pics of the car. Was this an early or late production car, judging by the data plate?

Thanks guys,

Chris

Comment

A teaser picture....

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

A teaser picture....

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

Thanks guys,

Chris

Chris: Regarding the production data you requested. The plate you photographed under the hood with 216 on the bottom is the body ID tag, not the car's Serial Number.

The Serial Number, for titling and ownership documents, is a stainless-steel plate spot welded to the driver's door hinge post, just below the top hinge.

Your sequential body number (216) indicates it was an early-production car; very early. Studebaker built 2,555 Commander hardtops in 1958, and the first body number would have been 101. So, you car's body was the 116th one made. The factory "banked" bodies and selected them at random for production, so the car may or may not be the 116th 1958 Commander hardtop built, but it will be close.

It will be daunting to find a rear window (backlight), but surely someone will step up with a parts car and permit you the donation. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cjsteak

Thanks guys,

Chris

Chris: Regarding the production data you requested. The plate you photographed under the hood with 216 on the bottom is the body ID tag, not the car's Serial Number.

The Serial Number, for titling and ownership documents, is a stainless-steel plate spot welded to the driver's door hinge post, just below the top hinge.

Your sequential body number (216) indicates it was an early-production car; very early. Studebaker built 2,555 Commander hardtops in 1958, and the first body number would have been 101. So, you car's body was the 116th one made. The factory "banked" bodies and selected them at random for production, so the car may or may not be the 116th 1958 Commander hardtop built, but it will be close.

It will be daunting to find a rear window (backlight), but surely someone will step up with a parts car and permit you the donation. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The windshield is common to all late '55 to 1958 Sedans and Wagons.

However the backlight is another thing entirely! Of course it fits ONLY '58 Starlights.

It is one of the few Studebaker rear windows that only fits one year, AND ONE model, like the '61 Lark Cruiser.

1950's and 1960's cars came with 5 wheels & tires! The rest is pretty much an extra cost option or a few items are standard on higher trim levels of certain years & models.

This is of course, in answer to your unanswered question about radios, antennas, clocks etc.

The rear deck antenna was only mounted in that location and was an option, the most common loc. IS through the left front fender AND cowl into the door post, and could be manual control or inside manual crank-up, even rare power ones available (NEVER saw even ONE!).

The radios were GM Delco made for Studebaker, Manual Tuning, Push Button or Signal Seeking (wonderbar) type, rear seat speaker optional.

The clock was optional as was a padded dash, Deluxe Horn Ring, tinted glass(front or ALL) and side view mirror. As I said, you got the 5 Tires and Wheels INCLUDED! no Wheelcovers either!

It has the Windshield Washer Option and 4 Brl. Carb. and MAY have the optional Dual Exhausts! Most Starliners were ordered with the Optional Twin Traction Limited Slip rear axle, it would have the TT with two interlocking rings emblem on the left of trunk lid. It actually has more than normal options. [^]

However, the Radiator Cap is NOT original!

Nowdays, they make you take & PAY for everything, whether you want it OR NOT! So I prefer the OLD way! [^]

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The windshield is common to all late '55 to 1958 Sedans and Wagons.

However the backlight is another thing entirely! Of course it fits ONLY '58 Starlights.

It is one of the few Studebaker rear windows that only fits one year, AND ONE model, like the '61 Lark Cruiser.

1950's and 1960's cars came with 5 wheels & tires! The rest is pretty much an extra cost option or a few items are standard on higher trim levels of certain years & models.

This is of course, in answer to your unanswered question about radios, antennas, clocks etc.

The rear deck antenna was only mounted in that location and was an option, the most common loc. IS through the left front fender AND cowl into the door post, and could be manual control or inside manual crank-up, even rare power ones available (NEVER saw even ONE!).

The radios were GM Delco made for Studebaker, Manual Tuning, Push Button or Signal Seeking (wonderbar) type, rear seat speaker optional.

The clock was optional as was a padded dash, Deluxe Horn Ring, tinted glass(front or ALL) and side view mirror. As I said, you got the 5 Tires and Wheels INCLUDED! no Wheelcovers either!

It has the Windshield Washer Option and 4 Brl. Carb. and MAY have the optional Dual Exhausts! Most Starliners were ordered with the Optional Twin Traction Limited Slip rear axle, it would have the TT with two interlocking rings emblem on the left of trunk lid. It actually has more than normal options. [^]

However, the Radiator Cap is NOT original!

Nowdays, they make you take & PAY for everything, whether you want it OR NOT! So I prefer the OLD way! [^]

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That 216 body number says it's a fairly early car, but that doesn't mean it's THE 216th hardtop built. The front windshield is the same from late 55 thru 58. The rear glass is peculiar to 58 hardtops ONLY and any references to "coupe" usually means a post Hawk - not your car. Likewise, there might be confusion over a hardtop Hawk of 58 - again, no go as far as your car goes. 58 was the first postwar year of a J-body and even tho there were J-bodies from 59 to 64, they're different from yours as far as glass goes.
                        Looking as SASCOs site, I see both clear and tint available for $197 or $213 respectively. Pretty lucky! Part numbers are 1326022 clear and 1326023 tint.

Edit, fuzzy photo and no glasses - I read the 216 as 215, hence the correction. BTW, BP Body numbers didn't start with #100, so this body would be the 216th, not 116th. A "typo" I'm betting![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That 216 body number says it's a fairly early car, but that doesn't mean it's THE 216th hardtop built. The front windshield is the same from late 55 thru 58. The rear glass is peculiar to 58 hardtops ONLY and any references to "coupe" usually means a post Hawk - not your car. Likewise, there might be confusion over a hardtop Hawk of 58 - again, no go as far as your car goes. 58 was the first postwar year of a J-body and even tho there were J-bodies from 59 to 64, they're different from yours as far as glass goes.
                          Looking as SASCOs site, I see both clear and tint available for $197 or $213 respectively. Pretty lucky! Part numbers are 1326022 clear and 1326023 tint.

Edit, fuzzy photo and no glasses - I read the 216 as 215, hence the correction. BTW, BP Body numbers didn't start with #100, so this body would be the 216th, not 116th. A "typo" I'm betting![8D]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Neat car, wouldn't mind having one someday...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                            63 Avanti R1 2788
                            1914 Stutz Bearcat
                            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Neat car, wouldn't mind having one someday...

63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                              X