Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting wheel covers on this Studebaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting wheel covers on this Studebaker.

I saw this period picture of a 54 with a different style wheel cover. I don't think I have seen a set of these on a car.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

IIRC - those were accessories for those 1953-55 style wheel covers. Others will correct if I am wrong.

Comment

Yes, a legit option it was called "The Sportster," part #AC-2497 sold for $3.00 each in 1954. That is for the spinner only. Went with the full disc cap #AC-2492. Pretty rare.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
        IIRC - those were accessories for those 1953-55 style wheel covers. Others will correct if I am wrong.
        I agree. Pretty rare items.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

TWO with AC-2497 in one week! http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...egal-Starliner

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
            These Sportster hub caps were a Studebaker factory accessory for the 1954 model year. I believe that they are only correct on 1954 models.
            Note that they were authorized for use on both the full wheel covers and the standard hub caps, but not on the wire covers.
            Last edited by studegary; 11-26-2014, 11:52 AM. Reason: missing letter
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              I saw this period picture of a 54 with a different style wheel cover. I don't think I have seen a set of these on a car.
              I do not believe that is a "period picture". The car appears to be loaded with accessories, but no radio (antenna). It also appears to have 1955 side trim installed on a 1954 and I do not beieve that the air scoop support should be body color.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                These Sportster hub caps were a Studebaker factory accessory for the 1954 model year. I believe that they are only correct on 1954 models.
                Note that they were authorized for use on both the full wheel covers and the standard hub caps, but not on the wire covers.
                According to the 1955 Studebaker Accessories booklet and the "55 Studebaker Perspective on Value" (saleman's book) these were indeed an option in 1955.
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

I do not beieve that the air scoop support should be body color.
                  It is on my Canadian assembled 54 K.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                    According to the 1955 Studebaker Accessories booklet and the "55 Studebaker Perspective on Value" (saleman's book) these were indeed an option in 1955.
                    Thank you. I stand corrected. I was mostly concerned that they are not correct on a 1953 since they did not come out until the 1954 model year.
                    I do not have any of that 1955 literature. I only remember owning two 1955 models (Speedster and Commander coupe).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                      It is on my Canadian assembled 54 K.

Terry
                      I was trying to go by factory pictures of new cars.
                      Especially for that period, Canadian and California production had many differences from South Bend production.
                      There were also changes during the years.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I dig em. Anyone know of any knockoffs that are close to the same as these? No pun intended. I would like to put some on my custom 53-55 HT
                        My 1st car. "A TRANSTAR"

Starliner
                        sigpic
                        Somewhere between Culture and Agriculture
                        in the Geographic center of Tennessee

Comment

I think they are the same spinner as used on the Packard Hawk deck lid overlay.
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I do not believe that is a "period picture". The car appears to be loaded with accessories, but no radio (antenna). It also appears to have 1955 side trim installed on a 1954 and I do not beieve that the air scoop support should be body color.
                            Good call on the 55 trim. I didn't even notice. The reason I called it a period picture was the overall look of the photo and the fact that it was in a group of pictures taken years ago. I did not mean it was a picture of a new car however.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I believe the air scoop supports were body color up until the 61 models came out with the silver lower scoops. GT's were flat to semi gloss black.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X