Looking for Steering Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Steering Wheels

A non-internet-using fellow I know is looking for 3 steering wheels -- a '48 Commander, a '50 Commander, and a '63 Avanti. He's restoring these cars to stock. When he asked me about them I immediately pointed him towards the Shrock brothers but he was put off by the price and asked if I would "ask around." Does anyone know where I might find decent examples of steering wheels for these three cars so he can keep moving forward?

Thanks,

Bob

Well, there's a reason the Shrocks went through the trouble of recasting them.

Comment

Yes, once the Shrocks achieved this quality, why would others bother to try?
      Absolute top quality but they would need a used core.

Here's a link to their listings:
      http://www.shrockbrothers.com/steering_wheels.html

And a few of their wheels on display at Reedsville.

Last edited by rockne10; 11-16-2014, 09:03 PM.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The 48 and 50 wheels did not hold up very well, ie they cracked a lot. I always have my eyes open for one of them for my 50 commander. They are not easy to find. If you find one you should grab it and not think about the price etc.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

All of the wheels this Gentleman needs are impossible or close to it to find in usable condition, so he he may have to bite the bullet.

If he needs a good New or Used '61 to '66 Lark or Hawk wheel these are not a problem.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Of the three he wants, the Avanti has the best chance - and that's not MUCH of a chance at that. A few years back, I got $200 for a nice, used Avanti wheel. I do have a gorgeous Avanti horn wing in my collection. Just lucked into that one at a meet.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

An Avanti wheel just sold :http://www.ebay.com/itm/221597239322...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I found a NOS wheel for my '50 Commander, but only after having it on my eBay wish list for 2 years. I ended up paying about what I would have paid if I had sent Shrock Brothers my original wheel for re-casting. These are not always easy to find. Here is what I bought:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	New Steering Wheel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1692907
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                  That "used" wheel sold for $300 including shipping, and is in need of repair.

I found a NOS wheel for my '51 about twenty years ago at Reedsville. I think at that time it was $250 for NOS. Haven't seen one since. When it came time to put one in the '53 I went to Shrocks.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I suspected as much but promised I would ask. I feel that a steering wheel is the focal point of the interior and will encourage him to go the Shrock Bros. route.

Comment

Originally posted by BobWaitz View Post
                      Thanks for the info. I suspected as much but promised I would ask. I feel that a steering wheel is the focal point of the interior and will encourage him to go the Shrock Bros. route.
                      I've purchased steering wheels and radio buttons-knobs from Schrock brothers. Excellent quality and great to deal with!
                      64 Champ long bed V8
                      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

I have a good Commander wheel, but it is the plain-Jane one in black hard rubber, nut the tan plastic one. Also have a good column, ans steering gear too (all together)
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                        X