X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThunderStude

StudeBird?

'Found this today on a car lot about 20 miles from the house:

Not a kit, the silly thing actually drives well. '92 T-Bird.

Interior needs everything, engine needs detailing. Pics here:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
    Last edited by Studedude; 11-05-2014, 10:43 AM.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Good use for a 50's parts if the car was too far gone. I bet it took some work.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I like it quite a bit.

I had a 1989 Thunderbird (similar) that I bought new and kept for 16 years. I had talked to a shop about "converting" it to a '53 Starlight. My Thunderbird was in such good shape and the conversion price was so high, I just sold the Thunderbird.

Is the ThunderStude registered/titled as a 1950 Studebaker or 1992 Thunderbird (not quite an antique yet)?

What is the asking price on this ThunderStude? Even adding shipping, I wonder if it is something that I should consider.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It would look much better in a single color.

Craig

Comment

I saw pix of an orange one - looked like the same body mods.
          Sorry - no pix, lost them last time my hard drive went kablooey.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
            I saw pix of an orange one - looked like the same body mods.
            Sorry - no pix, lost them last time my hard drive went kablooey.
            Like this?:

Last edited by Studedude; 11-05-2014, 01:50 PM.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              Is the ThunderStude registered/titled as a 1950 Studebaker or 1992 Thunderbird (not quite an antique yet)?

What is the asking price on this ThunderStude? Even adding shipping, I wonder if it is something that I should consider.
              It is registered as a '92 T-Bird.

He didn't quote me a price yet, he was ciphering his cost in it, and pondering whether or not to slick it up before selling it. He is trying to find a nice, complete used interior to replace what is there... the interior is shot, and nasty, as-is.

I suspect he will decide not to do anything to it, and will establish a price in short order. I'll let you know.
              sigpic
              Dave Lester

Comment

That orange car is built on the previous generation of Thunderbird. I like the 1989 and up Thunderbird better with independant rear suspension, bigger windows, more safety items, etc.

I have seen a few of these Thunderbirds "converted" to appear as 1949-1950 Fords. I have no interest in those <G>.

I am trying to figure out where to put the required front license plate on one of these.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You could take your chances with no front plate. I do with my Avanti, so far so good.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The Orange Thunderbird is the 1984 to 1986 version, I like that roof and windows much better.

But I might be a bit prejudice as I own a '86 Turbo Coupe 5 Speed Manual O.D., definitely NOT your grandmother's T-Bird.

And I too would not have chosen that Red & White combo for the '92, the two tone is OK but the colors need to be more similar, like light and dark Green or Blue.

StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      /Cut/I am trying to figure out where to put the required front license plate on one of these.
                      Doesn't NY have rear only, Collector Car Plates like most States?

Those are both quite nice looking Mods, I think the same people may have been involved in the design, because they both have the same 3 chrome trims on the rear fender.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sorry, the red-&-white one's roof is just way to but-ugly, such a shame, maby it's just the rear side window.
                        A mix of them maby...

Comment

Can't believe all that work on the body & the inside of the trunk is so bad. I can understand the interior not bine done. With the front clip off, you would have think the engine would have at least been powerwashed.

Comment

Long noses....especially the orange one.
                            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

What...are they running out of El Caminos to convert?

BTW: easyrods.com is where the 49-51 Ford-to T-bird kits come from.
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X