Oddball Champ question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddball Champ question

This is just one of those things that make my mind wander, and thought it'd be nice to put in the old memory banks.

I know it's possible to change the front clip of a Champ so that it has a Lark front end. For example, a 62 Lark front end instead of the Champ. Is that done by swapping out the front panel only, or the entire clip?

Next question. If you can swap the entire front clip from a 62 Lark onto a Champ, I'm supposing you could replace the grille with a 63 Lark grille...correct?

Okay, now SOMEWHERE I've seen a Champ pickup with a 64-65 Lark front clip, and even one that had a 66. I know the cowl is different on the 63-66 Larks, so how would that be done?

Not that I'm planning on doing this, but it's just one of those nagging questions........

Mark Anderson
    1965 Cruiser
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm
    Home of the Cruiser Registry

Actually, the cowl's different starting in '61, so figure those ones you've seen have had to be "worked" as well.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Actually, the cowl's different starting in '61, so figure those ones you've seen have had to be "worked" as well.

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The Lark cowl was different, or the Champ?

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

Mark Anderson
        1965 Cruiser

Comment

The Lark cowl was different, or the Champ?

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

Mark Anderson
          1965 Cruiser

Comment

The Later lark types have a different cowl, starting with 61 when they added the cowl vent in front of the windshield. It differs in other details as well.
            IIRC seeing a 66 Lark type pseudo Champ a few years(or ten)ago in Turning Wheels, seems to me it was a Sedan or Wagonaire with the back panel of a Champ pickup welded to the front half of a sedan/wagon body on a car chassis.

And there was a Champ with 62 front clip on it on ebay a year or so ago.
            IIRC it was in Pennsylvania or New York.

3E38
            4E2
            4E28
            5E13
            7E7
            8E7
            8E12
            8E28

59 Lark
            etc

Comment

The Later lark types have a different cowl, starting with 61 when they added the cowl vent in front of the windshield. It differs in other details as well.
              IIRC seeing a 66 Lark type pseudo Champ a few years(or ten)ago in Turning Wheels, seems to me it was a Sedan or Wagonaire with the back panel of a Champ pickup welded to the front half of a sedan/wagon body on a car chassis.

And there was a Champ with 62 front clip on it on ebay a year or so ago.
              IIRC it was in Pennsylvania or New York.

3E38
              4E2
              4E28
              5E13
              7E7
              8E7
              8E12
              8E28

59 Lark
              etc

Comment

I also recall an "El Camino" type makeover on e-Bay in the past year that had a '64 Daytona front half on it.

Comment

I also recall an "El Camino" type makeover on e-Bay in the past year that had a '64 Daytona front half on it.

Comment

I think your "dream" is on the right track with the '64 front clip idea!

There was a Champ pickup at the Portland International meet, it had a '64 or '65 Commander front body half, with the Champ. rear panel welded in, and was placed on a 3/4 ton Champ truck frame with the long wide box and all. The first thing that entered my mind was: "that is exactly how I see Studebaker updating the truck in 1965 or 1966!" [^]

It was a dirty Blue one, and obviously a nice well done truck, just a driver, not a show truck and was not judged.

This truck really looked GREAT!

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Okay, now SOMEWHERE I've seen a Champ pickup with a 64-65 Lark front clip, and even one that had a 66.
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I think your "dream" is on the right track with the '64 front clip idea!

There was a Champ pickup at the Portland International meet, it had a '64 or '65 Commander front body half, with the Champ. rear panel welded in, and was placed on a 3/4 ton Champ truck frame with the long wide box and all. The first thing that entered my mind was: "that is exactly how I see Studebaker updating the truck in 1965 or 1966!" [^]

It was a dirty Blue one, and obviously a nice well done truck, just a driver, not a show truck and was not judged.

This truck really looked GREAT!

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser

Okay, now SOMEWHERE I've seen a Champ pickup with a 64-65 Lark front clip, and even one that had a 66.
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

As a matter of fact, it WAS blue, or black IIRC. I'm waiting for Leonard to come up with some pictures out of his endless stash[8D]

Mark Anderson
                        1965 Cruiser

Comment

As a matter of fact, it WAS blue, or black IIRC. I'm waiting for Leonard to come up with some pictures out of his endless stash[8D]

Mark Anderson
                          1965 Cruiser

Comment

On this subject... will a front clip from a 57 sedan fit the champ cab?

Or possibly even a 53 - 55 sedan front clip?

Brent Lee
                            61 Hawk

Comment

On this subject... will a front clip from a 57 sedan fit the champ cab?

Or possibly even a 53 - 55 sedan front clip?

Brent Lee
                              61 Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X