Turning Wheels November Issue - Delivery Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Wheels November Issue - Delivery Survey

Hi everyone. The November issue of Turning Wheels is being mailed today, October 20th 2014, which should mean that some of you can may receive delivery by the end of the week. Please let us know when you receive your copy, again by indicating your state or province and zip or postal code. We will keep this survey open until November 20th. If you haven't received your copy by then, contact Cornerstone for a replacement, but please not before.

Ever since we began providing this survey method of keeping track, we've had excellent cooperation from Steve Musser, our printer at Sheridan, as well as improved distribution. And I believe delivery has improved in most cases. We still look forward to the day we can get every issue mailed by the 15th of the month preceding issue date. What we cannot control are the actions of the USPS and Canada Post. Since many of you still are experiencing problems locally, we're taking the opportunity to give you an overview of our mailing program.

Domestic U.S. mailing is sorted by zip code and bundled according to USPS specifications. Turning Wheels is then bagged and delivered to the Bulk Mail Entry Unit (BMEU) in Hanover PA for distribution by USPS. BMEU then forwards the pre-sorted mailings to their respective mailing centers for distribution to the mail carriers for home delivery or bulk box delivery. This is where breakdowns usually occur. The local postal station can take up to 48 hours before processing prior to sorting plus an extra day for sorting, which can mean there could be 3 days or more before the magazines actually move, then there's another day for delivery. If each unit in the process takes this much time there could easily be 10 days from mailing to your receipt. Where there are postal stations in the rural delivery areas, there can possibly another week or so required.

Canadian mailing is handled pretty much in the same manner as U.S. mailing, except that it enters the country at one of three border points and is then handled by the Canada Post system. This can often add an extra week to the average U.S. time of 10 days. However, nothing here is carved in stone. For example some Canadians received their October Turning Wheels within 10 days of leaving the printer, well ahead of many U.S. deliveries.

Foreign deliveries are handled by a distribution company named IMEX which operates out of Jamaica NY and these deliveries go to IMEX the same day they go to USPS. SDC has used at least three such companies in the past two years in an effort to improve timing. IMEX has so far proven their worth to SDC. They route our mail in the way that best translates into efficiency and reliability. But again, after Turning Wheels begins its trek into several foreign lands, we're at the mercy of local postal jurisdictions.

Some of you have compared delivery of Turning Wheels to that of your AOAI and Antique Studebaker Club mailings. Please be assured these magazines are also printed at Sheridan, and they enter the postal systems in exactly the same way as does Turning Wheels.

Hopefully the delivery method described will help you better understand the process. But please do not hesitate to have a conversation with your local postmaster where it is obvious there are specific problems. Ideally, in a perfect world, all U.S. addresses should receive November Turning Wheels by October 30th.

I'll be closing the October survey this Wednesday, October 22nd. If you haven't yet responded, please do so right away.

Stu Chapman

Whoah, what the ???? Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!!!! I find it very hard to believe I am the first to post here, but Nov TW's were delivered TODAY 10/21 (Periodical Mail) in Narvon Pa.17555 a little over an hour's drive from the mailing point. Can you say yeah baby!
    GO USPS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jim
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
      Whoah, what the ???? Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!!!! I find it very hard to believe I am the first to post here, but Nov TW's were delivered TODAY 10/21 (Periodical Mail) in Narvon Pa.17555 a little over an hour's drive from the mailing point. Can you say yeah baby!
      GO USPS!!!!!!!!!!!
      Jim
      Wow! Do you think USPS is now afraid of you Jim? After all you do have some influence in that regard, right?

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
        Wow! Do you think USPS is now afraid of you Jim? After all you do have some influence in that regard, right?

Stu Chapman
        Good one Stu. I'd like to think I have them running scared, but.... oh well. I couldn't believe it this morning when my co-worker who's route I live on told me it was here. I had not even had time to tell her they were mailed yesterday and I'd be counting the days till she rolled it properly (not bending the spine) and placed it in my mailbox.
        Jim

Comment

So, Jim, did it come rolled or spindled?
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Received mine 10/21/14 at a rural Post Office Box at 16868, also fourth class! Maybe this is the month USPS is smiling on Pennsylvania ! Or, maybe the plane had to make an emergency landing and they figured, as long as we're here, let's off-load the local !
            Last edited by rockne10; 10-21-2014, 04:17 PM.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
              So, Jim, did it come rolled or spindled?
              Rolled Ed, always rolled!
              JS

Comment

My brother and I both received ours today 10 21 14 @ zip 15025 and 15133 in South Hills of Pittsburgh Pa
                nice and flat in plastic Now to read it

Comment

Received 10/21 25701

Comment

Received mine 10/22at 17094.
                    NEIL G.

Comment

Received on 10/21 Parkersburg,WV 26104

Comment

Got mine today. 10-22-2014. Douglasville, Ga. 30134
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Arrived today 10/22/14 at 48706

Comment

10/22/14 in Deep Dixie.
                            Neil Thornton

Comment

10/22/14 Periodical postage to Washington, Illinois 61571. USPS is good....usually

Comment

Working...
                              X