Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was there ever a Studebaker dealer that had your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was there ever a Studebaker dealer that had your name?

Interesting to know even if the owners were not directly related. Then once you find out it becomes a quest to find some small item from that dealership. I did!

Click image for larger version

Name:	matches quinn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1744874
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0231.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	1692442Can't read the text due to the flash,but it reads:Thornton Motors Inc.
    Studebaker
    47th and Oak sts.-Abilene.

The fact that they used a Trowell is just icing on the cake,as I have spent most of my life as a Brickmason.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

Yes, Stengl Motors, Marshfield Wi. My dad was a Studebaker dealer from 39 to 56. I do have a couple of items from the dealership and would be honered to have other things.

Comment

'Not that anyone needs reminding, I'm sure:

"My favorite little hot rod" of all the new Studebakers they sold for the 14 months Palma-Rhoads Motors Packard-Nash-Studebaker was in business in Paris IL. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Came close with Zellsmann in Butler, Pa.See this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...license-topper
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Vines Motors in Bessemer, AL was a distant cousin; so distant he didn't give a teenage kid a discount on parts.

He did sell a '64 R1 GT Hawk, which was wrecked within it's first year. I bought the tach from the wrecking yard, used it on my '56 Flight Hawk, later on a '66 Falcon V8 and still have it.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I have been told that some of my uncles had a Studebaker Dealership in Gaffney, S.C. sometime after WWII. I was born in 1944. We lived over 60 miles away from that town at the time. My dad was a long haul truck driver and gone for days at the time. Back then, even in the rural south, public transportation was common. Local trains, taxi, bus, and electric trolley, along with an occasional "borrowed" car is what I remember as modes of transportation in my early childhood. By the end of 1947, my parents had six kids and no car. I believe it was 1953 before we had a family car.

Therefore, in those years, I have little memory of those uncles, and certainly not of their business. By the time we had a car, and were able to make "family" visits...they had moved on and no longer had the dealership. I have only heard of their dealership from others, and very little detail. One of the uncles became a butcher for a grocer. Another, a home heating oil delivery driver, and another owned an Esso station until the interstate came through and diverted most of his traffic away. After that, he became a security officer at a manufacturing facility. I have a receipt book from the service station, but nothing from the Studebaker dealership.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I've never checked to see if there was a Chapman Studebaker, but I do have a black/white photograph of Studebakers being delivered on a Chapman motor vehicle transport. I'll bet you have copies of this photos in your collection Richard

Stu Chapman

Comment

Dick, is that an outhouse on the book of matches? Quite an interesting piece of artwork for a car dealership to use!
                  Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                  \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                    Dick, is that an outhouse on the book of matches? Quite an interesting piece of artwork for a car dealership to use!
                    Perhaps, an "Outhouse" to you...but, for many of us..."The Library!"
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

jclary....HA !!! Yeah, and my grandmothers was a "public" library, as it was a "two-holer" as we called it. This is not a good memory though, ha !

Comment

Poe Motors
                        Richard
                        Attached Files
                        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Ben Wenberg has paperwork from his Grandpa's Studebaker dealership in the UP of Michigan & he has donated two trophies that his Grandpa had won to the SNM. They are sometimes on rotating display there. He also donated a neon sign from the dealership to the Iowa 80 Trucking Museum in Walcott, Iowa

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post
                            Poe Motors
                            Richard
                            Richard; That's great. I have hundreds and hundreds of dealer promo items etc so if you are looking for one with you family name on it let me know and if it turns up during the normal course of my research I will email it. .
                            Richard Quinn
                            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Sorry to say there is no Studebaker dealers with my last name.
                              Found a few GM dealers with my name is Mass, and Maine.
                              My wife Maryann wants to become a member of the Maryann Club though!
                              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                              X