Seen it all? How about this children's hearse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by fastfritz

My concern (other than it CREEPS me out) is what was the mortality rate for children in that part of Uraguay that they needed a special hearse????
    To get a historical perspective on this, think about the state of things in the US in 1928. We were arguably the most advanced nation in the world at that point, and yet polio and tuberculosis fatalities were in the thousands every year. Not to mention that just ten years earlier, an influenza epidemic had wiped out nearly 20% of the population. And this is in places like NYC, Chicago and Boston - now think about conditions in the Tennessee Valley and the hills of Appalachia. Now, think about conditions in a 3rd-world nation like Uruguay. The child mortality rate would have been very high.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Having lost a child I cannot imagine have a monstrosity like this hearse in any part of the day of the funeral. I realize that cultures vary and perhaps in Uruguay this was doing the "right" thing. I think it is ugly, and looks more like something that would have shown up in a movie like the Gnommobile or the Happiest Millionaire.[V]

Rod Owensby
      Trains50

Comment

Having lost a child I cannot imagine have a monstrosity like this hearse in any part of the day of the funeral. I realize that cultures vary and perhaps in Uruguay this was doing the "right" thing. I think it is ugly, and looks more like something that would have shown up in a movie like the Gnommobile or the Happiest Millionaire.[V]

Rod Owensby
        Trains50

Comment

Looks like the Snow White or Cinderella carriage on acid.

BTW: The Gnomemobile has a Rolls...a Phantom II or some model from the 30s-early 50s.

The Happiest Millionaire is about a Detroit baron in the teens..I bet that might have some neat brass-era cars in it.
          Saw it as a kid and not since. Another forgotten Disney film from the same era...Summer Magic, has a 14 Stutz Bearcat in it. There are lots of great cars in old films if you look.

63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Looks like the Snow White or Cinderella carriage on acid.

BTW: The Gnomemobile has a Rolls...a Phantom II or some model from the 30s-early 50s.

The Happiest Millionaire is about a Detroit baron in the teens..I bet that might have some neat brass-era cars in it.
            Saw it as a kid and not since. Another forgotten Disney film from the same era...Summer Magic, has a 14 Stutz Bearcat in it. There are lots of great cars in old films if you look.

63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
            X