Stude stock cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Guido

And throw in the soft camshafts at the introduction of the V-8's.

Just for the book: Stude's camshafts were no softer than the competition's. Stude just stepped up to the problem and replaced worn cams under warranty. The "big three" just hid behind a smoke screen until a fix was found. The fix was oil property changes which cured everyone's problem.

Comment

Regarding the Stude Sportsman/Modifieds , here is a response from Bob Coolidge.
      "Studebill: Good Morning. Your memory is correct. Lee Roy Yarbrough ran a yellow Studebaker modified coupe at Daytona. Donnie Allison ran a different yellow Studebaker modified coupe, the Harper Special out of Jackson, Mississippi. There were quite a few Studebaker modified coupes run at Daytona in the 60's.

The Larks you reference were built by Holman & Moody on order by Studebaker through their advertising agency D'Arcy & Bowles. Three were run at Sebring, piloted by Curtis Turner, Fireball Roberts and Ralph Moody. Turner finished a very close 2nd, Roberts 3rd and Moody further back.

Two of the same cars later raced in the Compact Car races at Daytona. Ralph Moody won a race at Lime Rock, Connecticut with one of the same Larks. The cars sat at Holman & Moody's shop in Charlotte for several years after that. They were then picked up and shipped north, destination unknown and disappeared. I have copies of the full file from Holman & Moody. "
      So it was Donnie , not Bobby altho I think still that Bobby did run in a Stude at sometime.
      A friend of mine that has visited with BA at his home told me that he had a Stude truck . This was a few years ago .
      Visit Bob Coolidges site at www.racingstudebakers.com
      Bill H
      Daytona Beach
      SDC member since 1970
      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Regarding the Stude Sportsman/Modifieds , here is a response from Bob Coolidge.
        "Studebill: Good Morning. Your memory is correct. Lee Roy Yarbrough ran a yellow Studebaker modified coupe at Daytona. Donnie Allison ran a different yellow Studebaker modified coupe, the Harper Special out of Jackson, Mississippi. There were quite a few Studebaker modified coupes run at Daytona in the 60's.

The Larks you reference were built by Holman & Moody on order by Studebaker through their advertising agency D'Arcy & Bowles. Three were run at Sebring, piloted by Curtis Turner, Fireball Roberts and Ralph Moody. Turner finished a very close 2nd, Roberts 3rd and Moody further back.

Two of the same cars later raced in the Compact Car races at Daytona. Ralph Moody won a race at Lime Rock, Connecticut with one of the same Larks. The cars sat at Holman & Moody's shop in Charlotte for several years after that. They were then picked up and shipped north, destination unknown and disappeared. I have copies of the full file from Holman & Moody. "
        So it was Donnie , not Bobby altho I think still that Bobby did run in a Stude at sometime.
        A friend of mine that has visited with BA at his home told me that he had a Stude truck . This was a few years ago .
        Visit Bob Coolidges site at www.racingstudebakers.com
        Bill H
        Daytona Beach
        SDC member since 1970

Comment

Ralph Moody won a race at Lime Rock, Connecticut with one of the same Larks. The cars sat at Holman & Moody's shop in Charlotte for several years after that. They were then picked up and shipped north, destination unknown and disappeared. I have copies of the full file from Holman & Moody. "
          [/quote]

The Larks at Lime Rock were in the Petite LeMans that I wrote about in an early post on this topic.

Last that I knew, one of those Larks exists in Connecticut.

Bobby A. did/does have a Studebaker pickup. Years ago, I wrote him a long letter and encouraged him to join SDC. I never heard anything back.

There is another strange connection here. One of the Larks at Lime Rock was driven by Jocko Sr. and prepared in his shop in Poughkeepsie, NY. Jocko Jr. was at the race and he is the one that I interviewed and got information from. Jocko Jr. was the one that T-boned Allison at Pocono in a NASCAR accident.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Ralph Moody won a race at Lime Rock, Connecticut with one of the same Larks. The cars sat at Holman & Moody's shop in Charlotte for several years after that. They were then picked up and shipped north, destination unknown and disappeared. I have copies of the full file from Holman & Moody. "
            [/quote]

The Larks at Lime Rock were in the Petite LeMans that I wrote about in an early post on this topic.

Last that I knew, one of those Larks exists in Connecticut.

Bobby A. did/does have a Studebaker pickup. Years ago, I wrote him a long letter and encouraged him to join SDC. I never heard anything back.

There is another strange connection here. One of the Larks at Lime Rock was driven by Jocko Sr. and prepared in his shop in Poughkeepsie, NY. Jocko Jr. was at the race and he is the one that I interviewed and got information from. Jocko Jr. was the one that T-boned Allison at Pocono in a NASCAR accident.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Here's another shot from the race ! Note that the Stude was Chevy powered , but the Ford had a Pontiac under the hood .
              Bill H
              Daytona Beach
              SDC member since 1970

Comment

Here's another shot from the race ! Note that the Stude was Chevy powered , but the Ford had a Pontiac under the hood .
                Bill H
                Daytona Beach
                SDC member since 1970

Comment

Working...
                X