Stude stock cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude stock cars

If at first you don't succeed you will get a lot of advice.

Lark Parker
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

I'll add this pic I took of a pic at SASCO:

Although this is how dirt mods looked in my area in the 60s and 70s, it certainly does nothing to flatter the Stude body lines[xx(] The pre-war coupes and coaches worked out much better.

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I'll add this pic I took of a pic at SASCO:

Although this is how dirt mods looked in my area in the 60s and 70s, it certainly does nothing to flatter the Stude body lines[xx(] The pre-war coupes and coaches worked out much better.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Is that a NASCAR event, Lark? Sportsman class? [?] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is that a NASCAR event, Lark? Sportsman class? [?] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

OK, as a mere youngster (46) and not up on NASCAR history, can someone explain why Studebaker had such dismal fortunes at the track? Just looking at the first pic, it is clearly evident that the C/K body had a much lower frontal area. Given that the power output should have been close to that of Ford and Chevy (and Mopar and Hornet, etc), why don't I see Studebaker in the win column?

--george

Comment

OK, as a mere youngster (46) and not up on NASCAR history, can someone explain why Studebaker had such dismal fortunes at the track? Just looking at the first pic, it is clearly evident that the C/K body had a much lower frontal area. Given that the power output should have been close to that of Ford and Chevy (and Mopar and Hornet, etc), why don't I see Studebaker in the win column?

--george

Comment

That is a 1953 Studebaker with a 1956 Oldsmobile (behind it) trying to get past. I don't think that the power could be considered anywhere near comparable.

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

That is a 1953 Studebaker with a 1956 Oldsmobile (behind it) trying to get past. I don't think that the power could be considered anywhere near comparable.

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Seeing what folks go through trying to make Stude engines make power today, I'm guessing the small cube, very heavy engine was just not competitive.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Seeing what folks go through trying to make Stude engines make power today, I'm guessing the small cube, very heavy engine was just not competitive.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Well I'am sure the aerodynamic body helped, but it's best suit is over 100 MPH at Bonneville! In corner to corner round-d-rounds, I don't think they have distance to go that fast.

But all that aside, did you see what's behind that leading Coupe? That's a '56 Olds! I don't remember how big it had "grown" to by then, but I do know that back in '49 they were 303 Cu. inches, and very hard to beat with a little 232!

They were simply out-cubed![:0] And less of them ran, being an independent, so less wins!

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well I'am sure the aerodynamic body helped, but it's best suit is over 100 MPH at Bonneville! In corner to corner round-d-rounds, I don't think they have distance to go that fast.

But all that aside, did you see what's behind that leading Coupe? That's a '56 Olds! I don't remember how big it had "grown" to by then, but I do know that back in '49 they were 303 Cu. inches, and very hard to beat with a little 232!

They were simply out-cubed![:0] And less of them ran, being an independent, so less wins!

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

And throw in the soft camshafts at the introduction of the V-8's.

Comment

And throw in the soft camshafts at the introduction of the V-8's.

Comment

Working...
                              X