San Diego & area members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Diego & area members

How are our San Diego members handling the bad wildfires there?? I certainly hope everyone got out of the paths of those raging fires!!
    StudeDave57? How have you been making out so far?

Craig

Well it's mine, and I am at the Northern Border, and it's at the Southern Border, so not a lot I can do. If they evacuate the neighborhood, Dave will probably try to do something, but its always a problem to quickly move one that has not run since 1979.

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

How about that President that's up on blocks? It would be a shame to lose that one. Apparently, its the only one still in danger. Craig
    OPPS, here we go again, with the out of sequence thing again! It WAS working fine! PLEASE READ THIS AFTER Craig's second post! [V]

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well it's mine, and I am at the Northern Border, and it's at the Southern Border, so not a lot I can do. If they evacuate the neighborhood, Dave will probably try to do something, but its always a problem to quickly move one that has not run since 1979.

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

How about that President that's up on blocks? It would be a shame to lose that one. Apparently, its the only one still in danger. Craig
      OPPS, here we go again, with the out of sequence thing again! It WAS working fine! PLEASE READ THIS AFTER Craig's second post! [V]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich

Comment

Craig; I talked to Dave last night at 6:30 PM, he was on his cellphone in the '65 Cruiser following the Tow Service's two Auto Transport rigs, a flatbed rollback and a Truck and car trailer that were hauling his '57 Commander 2 dr. Sedanette and his '58 Packard Sedan from El Cajon to NAS North Island.

It was just a precautionary move to get them out of what may have been, or still could be, part of the Harris Ranch firestorm or whichever one is closest to the Mexican Border near El Cajon, CA.

I think if I had a choice of whether to have the U.S. Navy protecting my cars, or the the CalFire Dept. of Calif., I'd also choose the former![^]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich

Comment

Craig; I talked to Dave last night at 6:30 PM, he was on his cellphone in the '65 Cruiser following the Tow Service's two Auto Transport rigs, a flatbed rollback and a Truck and car trailer that were hauling his '57 Commander 2 dr. Sedanette and his '58 Packard Sedan from El Cajon to NAS North Island.

It was just a precautionary move to get them out of what may have been, or still could be, part of the Harris Ranch firestorm or whichever one is closest to the Mexican Border near El Cajon, CA.

I think if I had a choice of whether to have the U.S. Navy protecting my cars, or the the CalFire Dept. of Calif., I'd also choose the former![^]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            How about that President that's up on blocks? It would be a shame to lose that one. Apparently, its the only one still in danger.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              How about that President that's up on blocks? It would be a shame to lose that one. Apparently, its the only one still in danger.

Craig

Comment

Glad Dave got 'em out of there. That part of the county is a real mess.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard
                http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Glad Dave got 'em out of there. That part of the county is a real mess.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard
                  http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                  www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Most of yesterday (and now today) I've been watching and wondering about these pesky fires that are burning almost everywhere around me. I'm in no danger, as I live close to Downtown San Diego, and work at the Navy base in the Bay- North Island Naval Air Station. Two of my cars on the other hand~ maybe not so much. You see, back in 2003 the fires came to within about a quarter mile of the garage- out near Lakeside, Ca. I only had one car in there at the time. My '57 Commander ('Baby') shared the garage with Dad's '57 Pelham and his '58 President. But back then I was on my way home from overseas, and had not yet arrived in San Diego. No way to worry if I'm not in the area seeing what's really going on...

This time it's different. I'm here. Non-stop coverage is everywhere. The first night one of my co-workers lost his home, and EVERYTHING in it. Many folks at work were evacuated, while others were in danger of the same. It's hard to pretend all is normal when you see the all the smoke. And LOTS OF IT!!! Even more-so when you see some guys painting parts of a low-visibility grey NAVY MH-60S helicopter with day-glow green!!! [?] [?] [?]

I decided late yesterday afternoon that I'd sleep better knowing the cars were not out there. I did manage to get them to my base, and that was that. I even came up with a plan to try and save Dad's '58 President today. And it would've worked, too. Trouble is~ some of the plan involved going into areas that were under mando-evac orders!!! Sorry Dad, the car is still there~ but it does look like it will be safe for now.
                    With mine out of the way this will allow me to get in there and prepare a way so that next time I can get it out as well...

StudeDave [8D]
                    V/P San Diego County SDC
                    San Diego, Ca

http://www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                    '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                    '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                    '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Most of yesterday (and now today) I've been watching and wondering about these pesky fires that are burning almost everywhere around me. I'm in no danger, as I live close to Downtown San Diego, and work at the Navy base in the Bay- North Island Naval Air Station. Two of my cars on the other hand~ maybe not so much. You see, back in 2003 the fires came to within about a quarter mile of the garage- out near Lakeside, Ca. I only had one car in there at the time. My '57 Commander ('Baby') shared the garage with Dad's '57 Pelham and his '58 President. But back then I was on my way home from overseas, and had not yet arrived in San Diego. No way to worry if I'm not in the area seeing what's really going on...

This time it's different. I'm here. Non-stop coverage is everywhere. The first night one of my co-workers lost his home, and EVERYTHING in it. Many folks at work were evacuated, while others were in danger of the same. It's hard to pretend all is normal when you see the all the smoke. And LOTS OF IT!!! Even more-so when you see some guys painting parts of a low-visibility grey NAVY MH-60S helicopter with day-glow green!!! [?] [?] [?]

I decided late yesterday afternoon that I'd sleep better knowing the cars were not out there. I did manage to get them to my base, and that was that. I even came up with a plan to try and save Dad's '58 President today. And it would've worked, too. Trouble is~ some of the plan involved going into areas that were under mando-evac orders!!! Sorry Dad, the car is still there~ but it does look like it will be safe for now.
                      With mine out of the way this will allow me to get in there and prepare a way so that next time I can get it out as well...

StudeDave [8D]
                      V/P San Diego County SDC
                      San Diego, Ca

http://www.studebakersandiego.com

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                      '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                      '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                      '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks for the update Dave.

Comment

Thanks for the update Dave.

Comment

[:0] Gee, that sounds bad, Dave. 'Sure wish there was something we could do to help from so far away. All the best as you cope.

We have friends on Cardiff Ave in Murietta CA we have been unable to reach. Is that area threatened? BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

[:0] Gee, that sounds bad, Dave. 'Sure wish there was something we could do to help from so far away. All the best as you cope.

We have friends on Cardiff Ave in Murietta CA we have been unable to reach. Is that area threatened? BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X