Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Studebaker do women like most? (now w/ pix)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, lay off that dangerous stuff, Dave. You're supposed to be (sorta) retired.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

• While I prefer the looks of the '51 "bullet-nose" cars, both coupes and sedans(I still love those suicide rear doors), and the '55 President Speedster, for sheer practicality and comfort, it's tough to beat a Lark Cruiser. Out of the four vehicles I currently own, my '61 Lark VIII Cruiser is the most comfortable to drive for long distances, it's got plenty of head and leg room without making me feel like the car is swallowing me up, has enough space in the trunk or back seat to carry just about anything I'm likely to carry in a vehicle in the first place, isn't too bad on gas mileage and not bad at all on oil usage, and has the "get-up-n-go" that all my others lack. It's also easy to get in and out of, and when you start to reach a certain age and have had at least one major broken bone in recent years, being able to get in or out of a vehicle without groaning in pain is a big deal! If ever a car was designed with women drivers in mind, it's got to be a Lark.

pitbulllady

Comment

• While I prefer the looks of the '51 "bullet-nose" cars, both coupes and sedans(I still love those suicide rear doors), and the '55 President Speedster, for sheer practicality and comfort, it's tough to beat a Lark Cruiser. Out of the four vehicles I currently own, my '61 Lark VIII Cruiser is the most comfortable to drive for long distances, it's got plenty of head and leg room without making me feel like the car is swallowing me up, has enough space in the trunk or back seat to carry just about anything I'm likely to carry in a vehicle in the first place, isn't too bad on gas mileage and not bad at all on oil usage, and has the "get-up-n-go" that all my others lack. It's also easy to get in and out of, and when you start to reach a certain age and have had at least one major broken bone in recent years, being able to get in or out of a vehicle without groaning in pain is a big deal! If ever a car was designed with women drivers in mind, it's got to be a Lark.

pitbulllady

Comment

• Even when I was fully retired, I toted... for one reason only... in the event I came across an officer in trouble. I could not reconcile not being able to intervene in that event.

I'll continue to be very, very careful, though. [^]

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
          [/quote]

I am glad that everyone will be okay. Even though I am not a PO, I understand you.
          A friend/neighbor is a PO in a local city. One day, he went to run a quick errand at a bank. There was a bank hold up and he didn't have ID, badge or gun. He chased the subject and finally convinced police that stopped him to stop both of them and sort it out later. Now he says he doesn't go anywhere, even to walk his dog, without his gun and badge. Another friend, that I traveled with often, was a U.S.Treasury enforcement officer. He was always armed. It made me feel more secure on some trips. I hear some stories from a relative that is FBI.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• Even when I was fully retired, I toted... for one reason only... in the event I came across an officer in trouble. I could not reconcile not being able to intervene in that event.

I'll continue to be very, very careful, though. [^]

DAVE, THE EVIL TWIN FROM OKLAHOMA
            [/quote]

I am glad that everyone will be okay. Even though I am not a PO, I understand you.
            A friend/neighbor is a PO in a local city. One day, he went to run a quick errand at a bank. There was a bank hold up and he didn't have ID, badge or gun. He chased the subject and finally convinced police that stopped him to stop both of them and sort it out later. Now he says he doesn't go anywhere, even to walk his dog, without his gun and badge. Another friend, that I traveled with often, was a U.S.Treasury enforcement officer. He was always armed. It made me feel more secure on some trips. I hear some stories from a relative that is FBI.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• I'm a woman and I like Studebakers.
              From Dillocrafter's list of six, I'd have chosen the 1953 Starliner.

Avantis were the first Studebakers to catch my eye; they seemed so strange, so exotic, amidst the Buicks and Fords I saw in my hometown. But I'm not much excited by Avantis any more (with apologies to my Avanti loving SDC compatriots).

Now, if I could find and afford a good 1953 Starliner, I'd have one. I think it's one of a handful of most beautiful American cars--in my book, it's best of the 1950's, among all makes. I've got two of my other favorite Studebakers, a 1949 2R5 and a 1962 GT Hawk. And I'm mighty fond of the 1950-51 Starlight Coupe. I can say of my truck and GT Hawk that I don't love them because I own them, but own them because I love them!

Carolyn

1949 2R5 truck
              1962 GT Hawk
              Santa Fe, NM
              1949 2R5 truck
              1962 GT Hawk
              projects: 50 Champion Starlight, 62 Lark Daytona, 61 Lark Cruiser VIII, 63 Wagonaire

Santa Fe, NM

Comment

• I'm a woman and I like Studebakers.
                From Dillocrafter's list of six, I'd have chosen the 1953 Starliner.

Avantis were the first Studebakers to catch my eye; they seemed so strange, so exotic, amidst the Buicks and Fords I saw in my hometown. But I'm not much excited by Avantis any more (with apologies to my Avanti loving SDC compatriots).

Now, if I could find and afford a good 1953 Starliner, I'd have one. I think it's one of a handful of most beautiful American cars--in my book, it's best of the 1950's, among all makes. I've got two of my other favorite Studebakers, a 1949 2R5 and a 1962 GT Hawk. And I'm mighty fond of the 1950-51 Starlight Coupe. I can say of my truck and GT Hawk that I don't love them because I own them, but own them because I love them!

Carolyn

1949 2R5 truck
                1962 GT Hawk
                Santa Fe, NM
                1949 2R5 truck
                1962 GT Hawk
                projects: 50 Champion Starlight, 62 Lark Daytona, 61 Lark Cruiser VIII, 63 Wagonaire

Santa Fe, NM

Comment

• I'm not entirely sure which Studebaker my wife likes best. She saw a early sixties Hawk/Grand Turismo in a fairly recent TW and Said "That's my Studebaker". I think she likes my Avanti but doesn't like the restoration process. Now on the other hand my 29 year old daughter thinks an Avanti is a "Hollywood Movie Star" ride. I swear that girl has never smiled so big as when she drove it around the block. That makes every dollar spent on it worth it to me right there. Richard

Comment

• I'm not entirely sure which Studebaker my wife likes best. She saw a early sixties Hawk/Grand Turismo in a fairly recent TW and Said "That's my Studebaker". I think she likes my Avanti but doesn't like the restoration process. Now on the other hand my 29 year old daughter thinks an Avanti is a "Hollywood Movie Star" ride. I swear that girl has never smiled so big as when she drove it around the block. That makes every dollar spent on it worth it to me right there. Richard

Comment

Working...
                    X