Local show "Rockville show"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local show "Rockville show"

I saw some very nice Studebakers today and the Packards were there in full force as well, more Packards then ever. I was there with my Plymouth 1940 P-9. I had the chance to see two Avanti's and some hawks (62 or later)very nice. There was a Blue and white two tone Packard Clipper there that was superI know someone has pic's

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Rockville is a nice local show, sponsored by the city, but run by volunteers from the participating car clubs. In nice weather it can draw 450 cars. I have been the Potomac Chapter's rep to the show committee for about 30 years, and have advanced to the post of "field marshal" -- a pretty exalted title for someone who is basically a parking attendant. The weather on Saturday was very nice, which meant we got some rarely seen vehicles, including an Allard J2 (Chrysler power), Kaiser Darrin, Stearns-Knight, MB 300SL, Locomobile, etc.

The Packard and Cadillac areas are always the most impressive, with several rows of enormous mid-30s classics, some with V-12s or V-16s.

I was on my way to the show in my 64 Daytona hardtop, but noticed that the directional signals were blinking kinda slowly. I looked at the ammeter and it was in negative territory -- so I turned around and went back home.[V] I was supposed to be on the grounds by 8 AM, so didn't have time to replace the alternator, and ended up driving a brand X and parking in the public lot. So there was one less Stude there than there should have been . . . .

I had an NOS Prestolite alternator purchased from N&A in 1981 (I've had that car a long time!), so the Daytona is back on the road now (but too late for the Rockville show).

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Rockville is a nice local show, sponsored by the city, but run by volunteers from the participating car clubs. In nice weather it can draw 450 cars. I have been the Potomac Chapter's rep to the show committee for about 30 years, and have advanced to the post of "field marshal" -- a pretty exalted title for someone who is basically a parking attendant. The weather on Saturday was very nice, which meant we got some rarely seen vehicles, including an Allard J2 (Chrysler power), Kaiser Darrin, Stearns-Knight, MB 300SL, Locomobile, etc.

The Packard and Cadillac areas are always the most impressive, with several rows of enormous mid-30s classics, some with V-12s or V-16s.

I was on my way to the show in my 64 Daytona hardtop, but noticed that the directional signals were blinking kinda slowly. I looked at the ammeter and it was in negative territory -- so I turned around and went back home.[V] I was supposed to be on the grounds by 8 AM, so didn't have time to replace the alternator, and ended up driving a brand X and parking in the public lot. So there was one less Stude there than there should have been . . . .

I had an NOS Prestolite alternator purchased from N&A in 1981 (I've had that car a long time!), so the Daytona is back on the road now (but too late for the Rockville show).

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for that review Mr. Lackie, have you heard or seen Mr. Torrey, I did not see him this year. I met him last year at this show. He is a very nice Gentleman and very knowlegable about Studebakers.

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Thanks for that review Mr. Lackie, have you heard or seen Mr. Torrey, I did not see him this year. I met him last year at this show. He is a very nice Gentleman and very knowlegable about Studebakers.

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

Are you thinking of Torrey Kirby from Martinsburg, WV, the owner of the Lark diesel?

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Are you thinking of Torrey Kirby from Martinsburg, WV, the owner of the Lark diesel?

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

As Guido said, are you referring to Torrey Kirby? If you are, yes, he was there, but not in a Studebaker. I know he has a couple of AMCs, but I remember seeing him coming on the field in something built by one of the Big Three -- GM maybe. Very out of character for him, but then we Studebaker people are all pretty appreciative of cars in general, no matter who built them.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

As Guido said, are you referring to Torrey Kirby? If you are, yes, he was there, but not in a Studebaker. I know he has a couple of AMCs, but I remember seeing him coming on the field in something built by one of the Big Three -- GM maybe. Very out of character for him, but then we Studebaker people are all pretty appreciative of cars in general, no matter who built them.

Skip Lackie
                  Washington DC
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes, it is Mr.Kirby your right, he has a diesel lark. He was getting rid of some of his cars and keeping others, I wish I had saw him. He had a 1963-64 hawk up there that I could have used some parts from, I will try to call him. thanks!

Studebakers forever!
                    Studebakers forever!

Comment

Yes, it is Mr.Kirby your right, he has a diesel lark. He was getting rid of some of his cars and keeping others, I wish I had saw him. He had a 1963-64 hawk up there that I could have used some parts from, I will try to call him. thanks!

Studebakers forever!
                      Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
                      X