Generator Finally Died On Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator Finally Died On Me

I'd taken the '61 earlier this week to finally get those rock dings touched up at the paint and body shop, like I've been meaning to since I bought the car. The county where I live was having its 30th Annual Cotton Festival, which featured a parade for the first time in 12 years, and a classic car show/cruise-in as usual, so I'd entered the Stude in the parade and the cruise-in. Yesterday, I picked it up from the shop and was driving it home, when I thought I saw the amp indicator light flicker a couple of times, but I couldn't be sure because of the way the sun was hitting the dash. A neighbor happened to be behind me, though, and pulled in to tell me that my signal lights were erratic, not really blinking "in sync" and at some points "missing" blinks. I've had issues with the signal lights before, though, one of those on-again, off-again situations that nobody can really seem to find a definate cause for, even after replacing the flasher. Car started great this morning(kinda chilly, too), drove great-no problems. I had to wait in the parking lot of a supermarket while all the parade entrants got their assigned places and what-nots, and when it was my turn to pull out, the car started up without a hitch. I actually made it all the way through the parade without any issues, other than the temp guage was starting to nudge a bit to the right of the little black box, which I expected while going that slow. Did I mention that the entry ahead of me was two little kids walking a Miniature Dachshund dressed as a bee? Yeah, it was THAT slow. Anyway, the classic cars and tractors were told to pull off the main street one block ahead of the other parade entries and cut the block so they could arrive at the tail end of the parade, since apparently the plans had been changed regarding the car show. Instead of having us go to the parking lot of a large church at the opposite end of the street, the planners had decided to have all the classic cars and trucks and tractors(LOT of those entered)parallel park on main street, right where all the festival celebrants were. When I got to the first stop on our detour, the amp light came on, steady and bright-no flickering at all. About two seconds after that, the engine shut off. I was able to restart it, and managed to limp over to a parking lot of a realty agent, when it shut off for good. All I got when I tried to restart it was that familiar, "RRR-rrrr-rrr" of a dead battery(car has brand-new battery, by the way). I ended up having to call a roll-back to take it home. At least I did make it through the parade, though, and got to find out that there are a LOT of people in my county who have Studes, some in really good shape, that they're just more or less sitting on, not driving them or trying to sell them. It may be a good thing that the car didn't make the car show; when I went back later on to sample the food, there were crowds of people on the street doing things like posing for group pictures while sitting on the hood of someone's '57 Bel Air, and I would have so killed somebody and probably gotten myself killed if anyone had done that to MY car!

So now, I'm trying to decide if I want to rebuild the generator, buy a new generator, or convert to an alternator. I've got to go pick up front and back bumpers for the '51 Champion near Greensboro, NC, tomorrow, so that decision will have to wait until the upcoming week, I guess.

pitbulllady

quote:Originally posted by pitbulllady
    Did I mention that the entry ahead of me was two little kids walking a Miniature Dachshund dressed as a bee?
    [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pitbulllady
      Did I mention that the entry ahead of me was two little kids walking a Miniature Dachshund dressed as a bee?
      [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'd take the generator and regulator both to a GOOD auto electrical shop and let them advise you what needs to be done. Might be simple as new brushes or could require more serious work. ISTR that a '61 V-8 should have a Delco generator which is a pretty decent, solid unit - my experience is that the older Delco stuff is a little more reliable than the equivalent Prestolite/Autolite products.

good luck,

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I'd take the generator and regulator both to a GOOD auto electrical shop and let them advise you what needs to be done. Might be simple as new brushes or could require more serious work. ISTR that a '61 V-8 should have a Delco generator which is a pretty decent, solid unit - my experience is that the older Delco stuff is a little more reliable than the equivalent Prestolite/Autolite products.

good luck,

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Those parades bring out the worst in our cars. It's a wonder that I do them. They leave you with some problems that you would otherwise never have, Today some friends of mine did A homecoming for a school, after the parade the car was falling apart, radiator leaked vapor lock and the brakes started to squek. All this from driving 3 miles an hour for 21/2 hours.I don't know I guess it's worth the trouble, for a few hot dogs and some soda[]and no cake!

Studebakers forever!
            Studebakers forever!

Comment

Those parades bring out the worst in our cars. It's a wonder that I do them. They leave you with some problems that you would otherwise never have, Today some friends of mine did A homecoming for a school, after the parade the car was falling apart, radiator leaked vapor lock and the brakes started to squek. All this from driving 3 miles an hour for 21/2 hours.I don't know I guess it's worth the trouble, for a few hot dogs and some soda[]and no cake!

Studebakers forever!
              Studebakers forever!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

good luck,

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight

The current generator is a Delco, probably the original judging from the looks of it, so yeah, I have to say that ANYTHING that lasts 46 years is reliable, to say the least. I'm hoping it's nothing more than the brushes, or the regulator, but I won't know until later this week.

The parade, fortunately, wasn't long in duration, since there's not that much to Bishopville, South Carolina, in the first place, when it comes to size. There's only two traffic lights on Main Street, a block apart. It's that Dachshund's fault, most likely; that thing was way too slow with those two-inch long legs to be in front of motorized vehicles! They shoulda put him back in the rear of the parade with the horses, only they would be too fast. It was stressful enough on me being sandwiched in between a couple of toddlers with a Weenie dog and the town of Lucknow's ONLY fire truck(sirens blasting at full volumn, of course-wonder what would happen if they had a fire in Lucknow while the parade was going on?), so maybe it did rattle something loose in the car!

pitbulllady

Comment

quote:Originally posted by N8N

good luck,

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight

The current generator is a Delco, probably the original judging from the looks of it, so yeah, I have to say that ANYTHING that lasts 46 years is reliable, to say the least. I'm hoping it's nothing more than the brushes, or the regulator, but I won't know until later this week.

The parade, fortunately, wasn't long in duration, since there's not that much to Bishopville, South Carolina, in the first place, when it comes to size. There's only two traffic lights on Main Street, a block apart. It's that Dachshund's fault, most likely; that thing was way too slow with those two-inch long legs to be in front of motorized vehicles! They shoulda put him back in the rear of the parade with the horses, only they would be too fast. It was stressful enough on me being sandwiched in between a couple of toddlers with a Weenie dog and the town of Lucknow's ONLY fire truck(sirens blasting at full volumn, of course-wonder what would happen if they had a fire in Lucknow while the parade was going on?), so maybe it did rattle something loose in the car!

pitbulllady

Comment

Funny what happens when you're moving at 2 or 3 mph, isn't it? The Hyack Festival parade here in New Westminster goes down 6th Street hill which has an average gradient of about 10%. After three blocks at 2 mph, do you think you can stop the damn car?[}] The brake fade that can be generated at a walking pace is unreal![:0] Particularly if the car has an automatic trans.

Terry

Comment

Funny what happens when you're moving at 2 or 3 mph, isn't it? The Hyack Festival parade here in New Westminster goes down 6th Street hill which has an average gradient of about 10%. After three blocks at 2 mph, do you think you can stop the damn car?[}] The brake fade that can be generated at a walking pace is unreal![:0] Particularly if the car has an automatic trans.

Terry

Comment

I should never had read this thead, my generator went out yesterday in my 40 plymouth, the guy called today and said it was the bushing in the rear so I asked him to replace the front bearing and the bushing, I will pick it up tomorrow, it's a delco as well 6volt pos. Thank goodness those parts are in stock at his place.75.00 dollars. It had been making noises so it was time[]

Studebakers forever!
                        Studebakers forever!

Comment

I should never had read this thead, my generator went out yesterday in my 40 plymouth, the guy called today and said it was the bushing in the rear so I asked him to replace the front bearing and the bushing, I will pick it up tomorrow, it's a delco as well 6volt pos. Thank goodness those parts are in stock at his place.75.00 dollars. It had been making noises so it was time[]

Studebakers forever!
                          Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
                          X