Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY 51 COMMANDER NEEDS A NEW HOME

HELLO ALL:
    I HAVE THIS DELIMA, I PURCHASED THIS 1951 COMMANDER LAND CRUSER LAST WEEK. IT'S BEEN SEALED UP IN A OVERSEAS CONTAINER FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS. THE LAST TIME IT WAS LICENSES WAS 1964. I HAVE NO IDEA WERE IT WAS BETWEEN 1965 & APROX. 1987?? IT'S A NICE TIGHT CAR THAT WILL NEED A COMPLETE RESTORATION, IT MUST HAVE 106052, THE SPEDOMITER READS 6052 MILES. I WANT TO SELL IT, BUT DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT STUDEBAKERS.
    i WAS TOLD THAT THIS WAS THE FIRST YEAR STUDEBAKER INSTALLED A V8 MOTOS. I WAS TOLD THAT THIS CAR HAS OVERDRIVE ALSO? IT SEEMS TO BE A COMPLETE CAR & RUST FREE.
    I'M TRYING TO GET SOME PHOTOS TO ADD TO THIS FORUM BUT HAVEN'T FIGUERED OUT HOW TO DO THAT YET?
    I AM LOOKING FOR ANY INFO I CAG GET ON THESE CARS TO HELP ME LIST IT ON THE MARKET???

DARRELL

A 1951 Land Cruiser was the top of the line for a Studebaker sedan in '51. It came standard with the first year OHV V8 engine. The engine displaces 232.6 cubic inches and the horsepower rating is 120. It has a 119 inch wheelbase. The base price new was $2289 (only a Commander convertible cost more in 1951). 7.10X15 tires were standard on the Land Cruiser.

Physical condition and running condition are the most important factors in determining value on this car. Pictures would help a lot. There is a "sticky" at the forum top describing the procedure for pictures.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

A 1951 Land Cruiser was the top of the line for a Studebaker sedan in '51. It came standard with the first year OHV V8 engine. The engine displaces 232.6 cubic inches and the horsepower rating is 120. It has a 119 inch wheelbase. The base price new was $2289 (only a Commander convertible cost more in 1951). 7.10X15 tires were standard on the Land Cruiser.

Physical condition and running condition are the most important factors in determining value on this car. Pictures would help a lot. There is a "sticky" at the forum top describing the procedure for pictures.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Yes, '51 was the debut year for the Studebaker V8 engine (232cu.in. in displacement) Overdrive was very popular on manual shift cars and they offered an automatic tranny as well.
        The Land Crusier was their flagship model and it was 4 inches longer than the standard 4-door sedans. The extra 4 inches was realized in the rear seat area and made for a very spacious rear cabin. Also, the Land Crusiers had vent windows in the rear doors whereas other 4-doors didn't.
        There were 38,055 Land Cruisers built that year and basic list was $2071.00
        These are GREAT road cars. Plenty of power and yet economical, their only weak point in today's fast-paced traffic is their brakes. This can be addressed with one of the disc brake conversions available - yet when driven with the brake's limitations in mind, one can get around today without a problem.
        Value-wise, it suffers from what we teasingly refer to as TOO MANY doors. 4-doors are looked upon as less sporty than the contemporary 2-door cars. [:I]
        Sealed in a container might worry me as much as enthuse me. I'd have to wonder what the "climate" was like in there all those years.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, '51 was the debut year for the Studebaker V8 engine (232cu.in. in displacement) Overdrive was very popular on manual shift cars and they offered an automatic tranny as well.
          The Land Crusier was their flagship model and it was 4 inches longer than the standard 4-door sedans. The extra 4 inches was realized in the rear seat area and made for a very spacious rear cabin. Also, the Land Crusiers had vent windows in the rear doors whereas other 4-doors didn't.
          There were 38,055 Land Cruisers built that year and basic list was $2071.00
          These are GREAT road cars. Plenty of power and yet economical, their only weak point in today's fast-paced traffic is their brakes. This can be addressed with one of the disc brake conversions available - yet when driven with the brake's limitations in mind, one can get around today without a problem.
          Value-wise, it suffers from what we teasingly refer to as TOO MANY doors. 4-doors are looked upon as less sporty than the contemporary 2-door cars. [:I]
          Sealed in a container might worry me as much as enthuse me. I'd have to wonder what the "climate" was like in there all those years.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

StudeGary, I found the info on how to post a photo, it seems a little complicated? It will take a while to figur it out? I already have some photos in photobucket web site but I haven't figured out how to send photos from there as of yet. I will get it right today...

Mr.Biggs, I'm sure the overseas container wasn't the best place for the car to stay in, there are signs of mice getting in & using the cotton for there nest.
            I had to remove a front wheel hub to release a frozen brake, yellow jacket (mud dobbers) nest I found all over the back of the hub.
            The interior has a lot of mildue, but no rust as I have found sofar? I have beed advised of a few places were the commander is none for rusting, (in the trunk & behind the front fender vents & door henges) every place I look, I see nothing but a little, light surface rust. Nothing not common to any car from the early 50s.
            I don't know anything of the running condition of the car, but with the milage on it, it must have been used on alot of long trips?
            I was told that the owner was a speed racer & died 20 years ago, trying to beat his own speed reacord of over 300 MPH @ the saltflats. I'm not sure if he put the car in the container, or if his family did?

Comment

StudeGary, I found the info on how to post a photo, it seems a little complicated? It will take a while to figur it out? I already have some photos in photobucket web site but I haven't figured out how to send photos from there as of yet. I will get it right today...

Mr.Biggs, I'm sure the overseas container wasn't the best place for the car to stay in, there are signs of mice getting in & using the cotton for there nest.
              I had to remove a front wheel hub to release a frozen brake, yellow jacket (mud dobbers) nest I found all over the back of the hub.
              The interior has a lot of mildue, but no rust as I have found sofar? I have beed advised of a few places were the commander is none for rusting, (in the trunk & behind the front fender vents & door henges) every place I look, I see nothing but a little, light surface rust. Nothing not common to any car from the early 50s.
              I don't know anything of the running condition of the car, but with the milage on it, it must have been used on alot of long trips?
              I was told that the owner was a speed racer & died 20 years ago, trying to beat his own speed reacord of over 300 MPH @ the saltflats. I'm not sure if he put the car in the container, or if his family did?

Comment

Heres a few questions, I can't get the hood open. It was open when I first saw the car, but I closed it & loaded it on my trailor to bring home. Now the hood latch doesn't seem to work. I guess one of the two "T" handles under the dash, left of the steering wheel is for the hood? there are two "T" handles side by side. What are they both for? They both seem to be push, not pull handles. Is there a place inder the car or some place I can release the hood?
                As I have said, I don't know anything about Studebakers, there is a button under the clutch peddel, what is it? Also there is a smaller arm (foot peddel) to the left of the clutch, up close to the fire wall, what would that arm be for also???

Comment

Heres a few questions, I can't get the hood open. It was open when I first saw the car, but I closed it & loaded it on my trailor to bring home. Now the hood latch doesn't seem to work. I guess one of the two "T" handles under the dash, left of the steering wheel is for the hood? there are two "T" handles side by side. What are they both for? They both seem to be push, not pull handles. Is there a place inder the car or some place I can release the hood?
                  As I have said, I don't know anything about Studebakers, there is a button under the clutch peddel, what is it? Also there is a smaller arm (foot peddel) to the left of the clutch, up close to the fire wall, what would that arm be for also???

Comment

There should be two buttons under the clutch pedal. One is the headlight dimmer and the other is the starter switch. You turn the ignition key and then press the clutch all the way to the floor and it should start.

The two leavers are for the hood (H) and overdrive (OD). the hood leaver may be stuck. There are some threads on how to get the hood up when the leaver is stuck, but I can't seem to find them right now.

The smaller pedal may be a windshield washer pedal.

Leonard Shepherd
                    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

There should be two buttons under the clutch pedal. One is the headlight dimmer and the other is the starter switch. You turn the ignition key and then press the clutch all the way to the floor and it should start.

The two leavers are for the hood (H) and overdrive (OD). the hood leaver may be stuck. There are some threads on how to get the hood up when the leaver is stuck, but I can't seem to find them right now.

The smaller pedal may be a windshield washer pedal.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Hi Leonard:
                        Yea, I got a better look at the "T" handle & saw the H, & OD on the other handle, thank you. I pulled the hood latch as hard as I wanted to, don't want to brake something? I also took one of the grill pieces off, but can't find anything to release the hood under there. The horns & things make it hard to see anything in that area???
                        That sounds kinda right about the windshield washer, it's not a heavy paddel, it hangs from the firewall & it looks like it may have a rubber plunger at the firewall, like a pump maybe?
                        I also can't seem to get the center armrest to come down in the back seat? Is there a hidden latch for the armrest? It feels hooled close???
                        Darrell

Comment

Hi Leonard:
                          Yea, I got a better look at the "T" handle & saw the H, & OD on the other handle, thank you. I pulled the hood latch as hard as I wanted to, don't want to brake something? I also took one of the grill pieces off, but can't find anything to release the hood under there. The horns & things make it hard to see anything in that area???
                          That sounds kinda right about the windshield washer, it's not a heavy paddel, it hangs from the firewall & it looks like it may have a rubber plunger at the firewall, like a pump maybe?
                          I also can't seem to get the center armrest to come down in the back seat? Is there a hidden latch for the armrest? It feels hooled close???
                          Darrell

Comment

In the picture below you can see the latch and the cable at the bottom of the picture. If you can get to it, you can pull the latch and release the hood, but it will be hard to get to.

The rear arm rest must be stuck to the upholstery material. There is no latch to it.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

In the picture below you can see the latch and the cable at the bottom of the picture. If you can get to it, you can pull the latch and release the hood, but it will be hard to get to.

The rear arm rest must be stuck to the upholstery material. There is no latch to it.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Working...
                              X