No announcement yet.

MY 51 COMMANDER NEEDS A NEW HOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same thing at dealer auctions. Autioneer tries to start at 3k 2k 1k,-500.-Car starts off at 300,goes to 3600,in a matter of minutes.And most of these dealers know what the car is worth within a nickel.
    Bob Palma would be pleased,this one has the battery holddown,even before the battery is installed!! [running joke on this forum,oldschool]

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

• When the prices are low, you never know what will happen. When I was at Asa Hall's sale I had no intention of buying a vehicle. As it turns out, they could not get a bid on the fire truck and I raised my hand. After some heated back and forth with another bidder I went one final time and ended up with it. If I had known up front I was going to have to haul another vehicle from there I would have bought a whole tractor trailer full and bid on the M-17 and the diesel Zip Van or even some of the Ford tractors at his dad's that went dirt cheap.

Comment

• When the prices are low, you never know what will happen. When I was at Asa Hall's sale I had no intention of buying a vehicle. As it turns out, they could not get a bid on the fire truck and I raised my hand. After some heated back and forth with another bidder I went one final time and ended up with it. If I had known up front I was going to have to haul another vehicle from there I would have bought a whole tractor trailer full and bid on the M-17 and the diesel Zip Van or even some of the Ford tractors at his dad's that went dirt cheap.

Comment

• Everyone eat their words, it has a bid![:0]

Comment

• Everyone eat their words, it has a bid![:0]

Comment

• "User ID kept private"

I'm not buying that as legit... I watch eBay 3-4 times a day, every day, for the last few years; and comparables never come near that, and certainly never open for that kind of money- not one time!

I'm willing to bet a nickel there's something fishy... don't count the money too fast, Darrell...[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

• "User ID kept private"

I'm not buying that as legit... I watch eBay 3-4 times a day, every day, for the last few years; and comparables never come near that, and certainly never open for that kind of money- not one time!

I'm willing to bet a nickel there's something fishy... don't count the money too fast, Darrell...[|)]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by bams50

"User ID kept private"
                  I NEVER participate in private auctions. It's tough enough to do research on "shills" with the normal process...impossible with private auctions.

eBay says this...

"When to Use a Private Listing

While there are some cases where private listings are appropriate, such as the sale of high-priced ticket items or approved pharmaceutical products, you should only make your listing private for a specific reason."

I wonder what the "specific reason" is for this one [?]

Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by bams50

"User ID kept private"
                    I NEVER participate in private auctions. It's tough enough to do research on "shills" with the normal process...impossible with private auctions.

eBay says this...

"When to Use a Private Listing

While there are some cases where private listings are appropriate, such as the sale of high-priced ticket items or approved pharmaceutical products, you should only make your listing private for a specific reason."

I wonder what the "specific reason" is for this one [?]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

• It might well be a real bid based on my experience with bidders. If you are a rookie, reading the listing gives the impression that with a little wax, some upholstery cleaner and a battery and you'd be good to go. If you recall, I listed a barn car Avanti that I had a 8K reserve on that was bid to 15K although I let the bidder pay a lot less. We all underestimate the money and labor it takes to fix up a old Studebaker. Even if the car stays at $3500, he'll be 10K in just to make it into a 20 foot driver.
                      I even spent some time on the phone with a old gent that bought another Avanti from me trying to explain what he would be in for, but he was unconvinced. When we last spoke, he was 25K into paint, upholstery and drive line and was maybe 10K from being done.The car should have sold to someone that did their own work, but this guys skills were limited to writing big checks.

JDP/Maryland
                      64 R2 GT cost to date
                      $60,876.94
                      63 R2 SuperHawk
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      54 Starlight
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

• It might well be a real bid based on my experience with bidders. If you are a rookie, reading the listing gives the impression that with a little wax, some upholstery cleaner and a battery and you'd be good to go. If you recall, I listed a barn car Avanti that I had a 8K reserve on that was bid to 15K although I let the bidder pay a lot less. We all underestimate the money and labor it takes to fix up a old Studebaker. Even if the car stays at $3500, he'll be 10K in just to make it into a 20 foot driver.
                        I even spent some time on the phone with a old gent that bought another Avanti from me trying to explain what he would be in for, but he was unconvinced. When we last spoke, he was 25K into paint, upholstery and drive line and was maybe 10K from being done.The car should have sold to someone that did their own work, but this guys skills were limited to writing big checks.

JDP/Maryland
                        64 R2 GT cost to date
                        $60,876.94
                        63 R2 SuperHawk
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        54 Starlight
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

• I wish I had that Skill!!!
                          Rob

Comment

• I wish I had that Skill!!!
                            Rob

Comment

• I'm sure that every one has heard the analogy of the bumble bee. That is, by all laws of aerodynamics, the bumble bee can't fly. But the bumble bee, not knowing this, goes ahead and flies.

The bidder and seller, not knowing that you shouldn't start an auction so high, both went ahead and did it.

I'm still gonna start my next car auction at $200!

John

Comment

• I'm sure that every one has heard the analogy of the bumble bee. That is, by all laws of aerodynamics, the bumble bee can't fly. But the bumble bee, not knowing this, goes ahead and flies.

The bidder and seller, not knowing that you shouldn't start an auction so high, both went ahead and did it.

I'm still gonna start my next car auction at $200!

John

Comment

Working...
                                X