Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last of the 8 Wilk brothers (all at Studebaker) passes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last of the 8 Wilk brothers (all at Studebaker) passes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wilk brothers copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1744602
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

That would make a great documentary!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

As of Tuesday morning, August 26, still no obituary in The South Bend Tribune on line.

I knew I'd seen that photograph before and sure enough, it's on Page 47 of Studebaker's centennial, LIFE-magazine-size memorial book, 100 Years on the Road.

There's a nice spray of brand loyalty in the background, save what appears to be a 1950 Buick seen between Julius' legs, and is that a Studebaker tractor pulling the trailer, seen between Ted's and Henry's legs?

The angle of the windshields looks a bit unusual to be a Studebaker tractor, so perhaps it was an outside vendor making a delivery....as for the Buick, well, not everybody is able to equate their job with the need to buy what they build.

'Neat photo. RIP, Ted. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wow, what an incredible accomplishment. All the brothers worked for the same company. Kind of speaks volumes about Studebaker and what it was like working the them.
        May Ted rest in peace.
        Richard, thanks for informing the members.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Thaddeus Wilk's obituary is in today's South Bend Tribune. He also had two sisters who worked at Studebaker! May he rest in peace.
          http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sou...869&fhid=24905
          "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Per Ted's obituary [thanks, Bob], it's interesting to see how many people in South Bend still make reference to "working at Studebakers." Not working at Studebaker, but Studebakers.

Nothing wrong with that; it's just a local curiosity I've noted through the years. You rarely hear such a citation outside the South Bend area, but you hear it with increasing frequency the closer you get to South Bend; i.e., "My grandfather worked at Studebakers," etc. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working at "Studebakers" was popular, but so was "Stude's" . . . both for the car and the corporation. The cars were also called "Polish Cadillacs" by some of our locals! I'm South Bend born and raised, and Polish!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Per Ted's obituary [thanks, Bob], it's interesting to see how many people in South Bend still make reference to "working at Studebakers." Not working at Studebaker, but Studebakers.

Nothing wrong with that; it's just a local curiosity I've noted through the years. You rarely hear such a citation outside the South Bend area, but you hear it with increasing frequency the closer you get to South Bend; i.e., "My grandfather worked at Studebakers," etc. BP
                The actual verbiage from the obituary is "worked at Studebaker's".
                Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Working...
                X