Penetrating oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penetrating oil

The Sept. TW has a tech tip from Randy Rundle proclaiming that the most effective penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. I tried this and found the two do not mix. I can agitate them but they separate quickly. Spraying will only spray the liquid nearest the pick up in the sprayer. What am I missing?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

I have never heard of it being recommended for spraying, just pouring in rusted Cylinders to free them up.

In my opinion, the best Penetrating Oil spray is Kroil, followed by PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery Oil.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-25-2014, 11:36 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
      The Sept. TW has a tech tip from Randy Rundle proclaiming that the most effective penetrating oil is a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. I tried this and found the two do not mix. I can agitate them but they separate quickly. Spraying will only spray the liquid nearest the pick up in the sprayer. What am I missing?
      Acetone is pretty dangerous stuff! See Richard Pryor's bits about his accident freebasing. Be warned about strong language.
      Spraying it into a mist is asking for an explosion. Maybe you would be saved when the plastic parts of the sprayer dissolved.
      I don't even like the idea of putting it in cylinders. It's going to come spraying out the plug holes when the engine frees. If the ignition isn't disabled there will be plenty of sparks to set it off. Remember the resistor bypass will still be hot, even with the switch off.
      My favorite penetrating oil is "LPS Heavy Duty Rust Inhibitor" you can spray it on and it jells and creeps; even against gravity.
      Mike M.

Comment

I have used Kroil with outstanding results. Inexpensive great product.
        Mike
        Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

I've used Kroil or Aero Kroil for years as a penetrating oil with very good results. I agree with Mike, acetone is highly flammable and will eat plastic and shouldn't be used as a spray. Kano Labs the makers of Kroil also have a product called Kreen that is meant to be poured into cylinders to free stuck pistons and rings and to be poured into the engine oil to clean up internal engine parts. I've used Kreen in engines that haven't been run in years with good results. Bud

Comment

I've seen the original report that showed acetone mixed with ATF as being superior to Kroil. If you search the web you will fine many, many references to it and almost as many that report the two don't stay mixed. Acetone is a little too dangerous for me so I will continue to use Kroil.

Comment

In the report Randy quotes Kroil was the second best but required twice the torque to loosen the rusted test bolt as acetone and ATF. In order of effectiveness the products tested were: ATF/acetone, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, WD 40. There are of course many others they could have tested.

I had some experience with the flammability of acetone when I took organic chemistry in college!
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Acetone is certainly flammable, but is hazardous mostly because it evaporates so quickly into a vapor. But that's why a mixture of acetone and ATF is such a good penetrating lubricant: the acetone mixes well enough with ATF to carry it into every nook and cranny, then evaporates and leaves the ATF behind. Acetone is also completely miscible with water, and will remove some of the water molecules that are normally embedded within the matrix of iron oxide molecules.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

I am a user of acetone/atf mix, and it does mix enough to do the job. It also does it better than anything I have used in the last 50 or so years.

Comment

I use the mixture all the time, great and inexpensive. Lacquer thinner will work well in place of acetone. I shake it up, use an irrigating syringe to suck it up and apply with pin point accuracy.
                    Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Comment

After my father in law passed away several years ago, I cleaned out a couple of his old storage buildings.
                      One of the things I found (besides 2 cans of R12 with 99 cent price tags) was a mostly full can of Do-All (yes, the bandsaw/machine tool company) penetrating spray.
                      It worked well and I've mostly used it up now. It smelled a lot like the Kroil or PB Blaster.
                      Don't know if it's even still available.
                      I know, not much help, but it's relevant to the conversation...IMO

Comment

I don't understand the paranoia about using acetone. It is almost the same as lacquer thinner. People working with fiberglass use acetone every day, to thin the gelcoat for spraying and to clean tools and other items after use with polyester resins. I am currently using acetone very day, as recommended by the manufacturer, to thin the polyester primer I am using on my Studebaker project. From the standpoint of flammability or the hazards of inhaling the fumes or skin contact, acetone is essentially no different from lacquer thinner.
                        Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                        See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

I am a user of acetone/atf mix, and it does mix enough to do the job. It also does it better than anything I have used in the last 50 or so years.

I just CC'ed Tex' post. 'Me too' aint enough letters all by their self.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I love PB Blaster and I keep a squirt oil can with brake fluid in it also.

Comment

For those that mix ATF & Acetone...What do you keep the mixture in & how do you apply it? I can't see putting it in a "pumper" oil can... but that may be the way to go. Looking for advice from someone that knows.
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X