Wings!!!...Not fins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wings!!!...Not fins

Hey folks...perhaps it is a minor point, but...Hawks have WINGS, not slimy, smelly old fins. Of all the nit picking we do on these forums, I can't believe I've chosen this for a cause, but, why not let the Bel Airs, De Villes, De Sotos, Impalas, Fairlanes, Premiers, etc. lay claim to "Fins." But...Hawks, soar and fly. Magnificent Elegant birds with "Wings!"

It is certainly no cause to die for, but, in keeping with the independent thinking that drew us away from the automotive "beaten path"...why not make it a point to refer to the Hawks as "Winged" Hawks,
    and leave "fins" to the swampy hoards of mass-production.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I like the way you think...
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

They look like fins to me.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
        They look like fins to me.
        Could be your imagination gene is swimming instead of flying.

I once owned a Hawk that rode like it had "talons" instead of tires.

After discovering (and replacing) the warped hub...it soared with the best.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, as already said - I too like Your point! "BUT" now some here have a problem here on the GROUND,You see Ones with GT Hawks have no wings .
          Originally posted by jclary View Post
          Hey folks...perhaps it is a minor point, but...Hawks have WINGS, not slimy, smelly old fins. Of all the nit picking we do on these forums, I can't believe I've chosen this for a cause, but, why not let the Bel Airs, De Villes, De Sotos, Impalas, Fairlanes, Premiers, etc. lay claim to "Fins." But...Hawks, soar and fly. Magnificent Elegant birds with "Wings!"

It is certainly no cause to die for, but, in keeping with the independent thinking that drew us away from the automotive "beaten path"...why not make it a point to refer to the Hawks as "Winged" Hawks,
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I feel that Winged Hawks will set us apart from the crowd, lets promote this to enhance our image!
            StudeRick & Johna
            Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
            1957 Silver Hawk
            1963 Avanti
            1961 Lark Wagon
            1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

I remember an ad in the 50's describing the Hawks that said " Fins: functional" (Probably Richard has a copy). The implication was that the fins contributed to the stability of the car. I find that doubtful but the point is Studebaker called them fins, dare we disagree?
              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
              50 Champion 2 door*
              53 Commander K Auto*
              53 Commander K overdrive*
              55 President Speedster
              62 GT 4Speed*
              63 Avanti R1*
              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                John, as already said - I too like Your point! "BUT" now some here have a problem here on the GROUND,You see Ones with GT Hawks have no wings .
                Sure they do!...you jus' gotta look a bit faster. Some models are tucked in and "stealthier" than others.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

FWIW, I used to keep a black baseball type cap with standing silver wings (think head Mercury dimes) in my black GT Hawk.
                  ...get it...I wore wings when I drove the Hawk!!

Comment

The large 1957 Hawk brochure (PD 1014) refers to; "...canted ridge-back fenders..."
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                      I remember an ad in the 50's describing the Hawks that said " Fins: functional" (Probably Richard has a copy). The implication was that the fins contributed to the stability of the car. I find that doubtful but the point is Studebaker called them fins, dare we disagree?
                      With all the management changes Studebaker was confused... just plain wrong. Hawks have wings but Speedsters just fly!

Comment

I've often unintentionally referred to the "rear fender toppers" on my 59 Hawk as wings.

I don't know if I call them wings because it it's a Hawk, or if it's because of the fact that (post 56) the Hawk fins are canted out more than the typical completely vertical fins on other cars. (my mental image of a "Fin" is is a 57 Chevy)

Speaking of canted fins, I have a soft spot for 59 Buicks . They are often referred to as Delta Wings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1959_Buick_2Door_Convertable.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1691896

Comment

Try taking this discussion up with a Briton. They call fenders wings and spell whine whinge...
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

While we're picking nits...
                            Most of us here (I believe) are of the school that the round things that the tires mount on are called WHEELS not RIMS.
                            While the tires are technically mounted to the RIM, the RIM is the outer part of the WHEEL that hold the tire in place.
                            There is the center that is riveted or welded to the RIM which make up the WHEEL.
                            One could argue that the tire is part of the WHEEL assembly as well, I guess.
                            "Hey man, did you get new rims?"
                            "Why would I just change the rims? I got whole new wheels."
                            Kids these days...just don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

jclary,
                              You are right! Not sure why I called them "fins" rather than wings.
                              Of course others were using the same term.
                              Anyway, good point.
                              Like you said, leave the fins with the "other" companies.
                              sigpicJimmie
                              Orange County, Indiana
                              1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Comment

Working...
                              X