700R4 Transmission/64R2 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700R4 Transmission/64R2 Hawk

The time has come to do something transmission wise, either rebuild or replace. I'm considering the 700R4. Can you offer any pointers, dos and don'ts, etc., etc.? Your thoughts will be appreciated.
    Are there any Turning Wheels articles out there that I have missed?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Do a search here on the forum, lots of advise. Mostly the recommendation is now to use the 200R vs the 700R4. Lighter, and just as good. I have thinking of this same swap myself for a 64 Cruiser and am going to go with the 200R. Total cost from what I can determine for someone else to do the work is $2500.

Mark

Comment

A '64 R2 GT Hawk is a very rare and valuable Car when original, I would never do that to one.
      Is it now a Power Shift on the floor? If your goal is to lower the RPMs, why not consider a rear axle Ratio change? That would be invisible.

Most THM Mods have been done to less valuable Cars and modified Street Rods.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-25-2014, 09:25 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Lou, what You really want to get that sucker rollin or what
        Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
        The time has come to do something transmission wise, either rebuild or replace. I'm considering the 700R4. Can you offer any pointers, dos and don'ts, etc., etc.? Your thoughts will be appreciated.
        Are there any Turning Wheels articles out there that I have missed?
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I imagine you are doing this swap for your years of enjoyment and not a resale aspect.

Tons of post on the forum for the 700/200-r4 transmission installs. Do a search with in the forum and read through the many opinions.

As for the originality, keep the parts for a future would-be buyer to make the choice to go back stock.

A 700/200-r4 swap normally doesn't require modifications that cant be un-modified.

Comment

That's kind what I was thinking.
            Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
            I imagine you are doing this swap for your years of enjoyment and not a resale aspect.

Tons of post on the forum for the 700/200-r4 transmission installs. Do a search with in the forum and read through the many opinions.

As for the originality, keep the parts for a future would-be buyer to make the choice to go back stock.

A 700/200-r4 swap normally doesn't require modifications that cant be un-modified.
            Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Still have a Stude to GM trans adapter from 41 Frank (Howard's Parts) for sale. New in the box, $300 plus postage.
              Jim
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Cost to overhaul the powershift and a rear end ratio change can come close to the cost of the 700/200 r4 conversion. Locally most transmission shops are charging 1,000.00 dollars bench labor plus the cost of hard parts if they can even find them. This is for the opportunity to learn how to build this transmission since they have never done one. I used to get them done for 150.00 bench labor and parts and a six pack of beer. I found an add on Craigslist in southern california 299.00 including hard parts, been considering sending a truckload down to him.
                StudeRick & Johna
                Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1963 Avanti
                1961 Lark Wagon
                1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

I have a trans shop near me that at the time charged me $600 for a 700r4, came over hauled , with shift kit, Corvette higher stall lock up converter , Only had 1 problem since rebuild , A switch on high gear on valve body went bad and wouldn't lock the converter . easy fix, The only electric parts in a 700r4 are convertor lockup and neutral, reverse light switch . That was about 5 years ago, can check price now if you want . In Hillsboro, Ohio
                  Randy Wilkin
                  1946 M5 Streetrod
                  Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I'm still a big fan of the 700R4/4L60/4L60E. So many parts... And you can eliminate the TV cable with the 'E' version.
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

How many 1964 R2 Hawks were built?
                      Would driveability outweigh the reduction in collector value that this swap will bring?
                      Does that mean anything to the current owner?
                      Does that mean anything to the next owner?
                      Questions that one should ponder.....
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        I would never do that to one.
                        I kinda figured that, Rich.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

75 R2 1964 Hawks built , 50 Automatic , 25 4 speeds.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                            75 R2 1964 Hawks built , 50 Automatic , 25 4 speeds.

Robert Kapteyn
                            And only 3 full package super hawks in this color with the half sport roof 2 power shift and one 4 speed rare ? maybe so I would not make this change in this car.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Just thinking out loud here but before you spend your money an email to gear vendors for an overdrive quote might not be a bad idea. Their web site is not all knowing or all telling. Yes it costs up front but it won't show and you keep your powershift. R
                              64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
                              Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X