Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to all this, requesting your patience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 Frank
    replied
    Welcome to the Forum! A total of 9335 GT's or Gran Turismo Hawks were produced for the 1962 model year. The number you referenced is a serial number and unlike a VIN, which was not used by Studebaker does not tell us much about the vehicle. The serial number does tell us it is a US produced Studebaker. The I was used as a 1 by Studebaker. For more info about equipment contact the Studebaker National Museum and purchase a copy of the production order from them. The rims are not a Studebaker item. The side grilles on your car are chrome but were painted body color on U.S. produced GT's and chrome on Canadian cars. In most instances the mirrors were a dealer installed item, most were next to the vent window.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Looking at your photos the car is a 62 GT. I don't believe a 259 or wire wheels were options for 62 GT's. Maybe a 259 option for some export marked but I have not read it.

The engine can be identified by locating the engine number which you will find on the front of the engine in the valley towards the drivers side. A number starting with a P or V or PC or VC will denote a 289 or 259 respectively but if a swap has been done it could be anything.

Len.

Leave a comment:

• RareBird
    replied
    Welcome to the forum. You came to the right place to find out info on your car. Wealth of info here and the guys are willing to help. Many of the Studees had the mirrors mounted on the fenders. It's very practical. I mounted mine on the doors of my Hawk and let me tell you with the vent windows I find passenger mirror useless ( execept for bling). I thought about putting mine on the fenders, however I thought my Packard Hawk looked odd enough.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    A 259 and a 289 are the same size on the outside. I'll bet a 289. That 62V number, is that from the plate on the firewall? If so, look on the pillar of the drivers' door for a serial number. Gran Turismos are the only GT Hawks. I don't believe the wheels are factory. Others will know more. Nice find.
    Last edited by warrlaw1; 08-26-2014, 10:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• steve75
    started a topic I'm new to all this, requesting your patience!

I'm new to all this, requesting your patience!

Attached Files
    Last edited by steve75; 06-28-2015, 01:20 PM. Reason: Adding updated pix
Working...
X