Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to all this, requesting your patience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53commander
    replied
    Good looking car, I hope you get it. I do like the wire wheels too.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    Some Canadian hawks were 6 cylinder! Stylish, yes....and not really expensive.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Steve - You might want to know that the Studebaker Drivers Club Northeast Zone Meet is in Waterbury Connecticut on September 12-14 (primarily 13th). It is at the CocoKey Resort. You are welcome to come and check out Studebakers whether you get this Hawk or not.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    Very nice looking. If it is an American car with the Canadian grille surrounds, on that black car, it looks good. Enjoy stressing your carpal tunnel tendons cleaning those wire wheels.
    PURE speculation, is the car might have been involved in a front-end accident early in its life, hence the chrome side grille surrounds and the '63 style headlight rim on the driver's side. If it was a Hamilton-built Hawk, it will have a 62VC serial number.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• steve75
    replied
    Thanks for correcting my jargon, as I said - I'm new and I am really enjoying the feedback and mentoring. Thanks all. I need to focus on closing this deal and I will happily participate in the club and activities once I get the car (fingers crossed)!!! I did order the production build sheet from the museum so once i get that, I'll know what I got! And if I don't get the car I'll offer it to the seller.

Leave a comment:

• LarkTruck
    replied
    Hi Steve, welcome to Studebaker and the Forum. Good looking GT HAWK. You might want to join The Studebaker Driver's Club. You can access a membership application by clicking on the Studebaker Driver's Club Home Page bar at the top of this page. As a side note, GT stands for Gran Turismo, no "D" in Gran and only one "O" in Turismo.
    Sorry guys, I couldn't help myself.
    Good Luck with your new toy Steve.
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The Original Seats (Material) Door Panels, Headliner and Dashboard are really big Pluses or Minuses depending on their condition, (or correct, quality replacements) and are quite pricey to duplicate. The Interior appears to be Saddle Tan.

So a good, careful look, by your untrained eyes, or a Pic for us to figure out the quality and originality of these important items would be good to add or delete value.

The body does look good, the area that often Rusts through, is the Rear edge of the Front Fenders not visible in the Pics.

If you look under the Left side of the dash you very well MAY find a Chrome "T" Handle marked O.D. for Overdrive, which would be a really GOOD thing!
    If it does, the Transmission actually has 6 forward speeds, though usually only 4 or 5 are used.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Hi, Steve; welcome aboard.

Genuine wire wheels like this car has were not available from Studebaker, either factory-installed or dealer-installed.

BP
    Well...ol' BP gave you a lot of useful information. However, as for those wheels..."I like em!" (Best pronounced with a southern drawl)

I just wouldn't want to have to clean and polish them.

And...welcome to the forum!

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Steve, you could possibly obtain the history of this car by going to the GT Hawk Registry which is maintained by Barry Leppan of Burlington Ontario. Go to the SDC main page, follow "Resources" down to "Other Valuable Links" and you'll find the contact.

Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Very nice looking. If it is an American car with the Canadian grille surrounds, on that black car, it looks good. Enjoy stressing your carpal tunnel tendons cleaning those wire wheels.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Is it possibly an export car that was brought back to the US, like by a serviceman? I know of a different Hawk in Connecticut (earlier model) that falls into that category. The export 1962 Hawks could have the 259 cid V8 and would have the chrome side grilles.

Leave a comment:

• steve75
    replied
    3 speed on the column.

Leave a comment:

• swvalcon
    replied
    Steve The car in your post looks like a standard project car. $3000 it a fair price both for you and the owner. About all its worth. If inside is nice you could get it ,make it run and stop and drive it enough to see what all needs restored and go from there. Wheels are not stock and I would guess mirrors are add ons. As said should be 289. Is this a stick or auto? A lot of parts are available for these and I think one of the nicest cars studebaker every built. But I have a 64 so may be a little bias. Welcome to the forum. Steve W

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by steve75 View Post
    Quantity of this model produced in 1962... I get conflicting info - anyone know?

Serial Number of the car I am looking at is 62V-I9630, i've read that the 4th digit "I" was used instead of 1. Any other info you can tell be based on this number?

Looks like the smaller v-8 - 259 cubic inch???

One unusual thing is the car I looked at has side view mirrors mounted on the fenders (both drivers side and passenger side). I have not seen this in any cars I viewed on line. Any comments?

Looks like factory supplied real spoke wheels - was this an actual option?
    And last question (for now).... Are all Grand Tourismos also known as GT Hawks in 1962?

Hi, Steve; welcome aboard.

All 1962 Hawks are Gran Turismo Hawks (note that spelling; there's no "d" after Gran, and only one "o" in Turismo).

Studebaker built 9,335 of them for the domestic (United States) market. All of those cars had the 289 cubic inch engine in one of two versions: 210 HP with a 2-bbl carburetor, or 225 HP with a 4-bbl carburetor. All of them had dual exhaust regardless of carburetor.

You are correct, the upper-case "I" is used for the numeral '1" in Studebakering.
    That number tells us only three things:
    1. It is a 1962 model year car.
    2. It is a V8 car
    3. It was the 19,630th 1962 Studebaker V8 automobile made; all V8 cars, not just Hawks.

As for the engine serial number. It is on the front of the engine BLOCK facing UP on the left (driver side) of the block. It is a stamped number, nut raised. It looks like this:

That number is a little difficult to read because of how it was stamped. But it is V440474.

If the Hawk you are looking at has its original engine in it, that stamped number will be between P79801 and P93600.

The "V" in the sample picture means the engine is a 259. The "P" in the number on your car, assuming it has the original engine, denotes a 289 cubic inch engine.

Genuine wire wheels like this car has were not available from Studebaker, either factory-installed or dealer-installed.

Those mirrors do not appear to be Studebaker accessory mirrors, from what can be seen. A better photo would confirm or deny that.

Best wishes with the car. BP

Leave a comment:

• steve75
    replied
    Serial Number from drivers door. The people I am speaking with are the original owners grand kids. They swear he bought everything stock from the factory. (Who knows??) The car has 25,600 original miles and needs some love, but all the parts (with spare parts and manuals) are available (I'm told). I offered $3,000 as is for this car. Any idea on the value as is??? There are also 2 rolls royces in the "hoard" - I've no interest in these. But the 62 Stude is a great looking American car! Thanks very much for all the replies. Would love to hear more!!! I need to know what I don't know!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X