Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to all this, requesting your patience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
    The antenna mounted on the front fender works much better than the ones mounted on the rear deck. Some of the reproduction rear deck antennas had manufacturing problems.
    Back in the early 1980's, I had a '62 GT Hawk. When I got it, the rear antenna was broken. I kept the antenna base and figured out how to mount an aftermarket electric antennae through the original mount. Instead of connecting it to extend when the radio was turned on...I wired a separate toggle switch.

I got a kick out of entertaining the kids looking at my strange car with the "stinger" running up and down in back.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    The antenna mounted on the front fender works much better than the ones mounted on the rear deck. Some of the reproduction rear deck antennas had manufacturing problems.

Leave a comment:

• pinehurstbob
    replied
    Check out Studebaker International in Indiana. They have just printed a new catalog and will deliver free to the York PA swap meet in early March. Welcome aboard, the Studebaker world needs more young people, and good luck on your project.

Bob
    64 Daytona & 60 Lark Convert

Leave a comment:

• steve75
    replied
    Restoration in progress. After weeks of waiting, I picked up my 1962 GT Hawk! Looks better in the daylight! Looking for referrals on the following parts... Ignition Switch complete assembly, rear fender mounted antenna, and a 2 bbl 289 carburetor (complete). Can anyone point me to reputable vendors? Also - looking for advice - should I seek out New Old Stock or repro parts?

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    The headlight surrounds should be chrome on all 1962 Hawks.
    The side grilles were painted body color on domestic 1962 Hawks and chrome on some/most export (non-US) 1962 Hawks.
    Unless it was built for stock, your build sheet should show where the car was initially destined to go to.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    You have a very nice car. One mistake newbies tend to make is to take everything apart, then run out of energy and never get it back together. Then there are family problems because of the junk sitting around, the car gets parted out or sold for parts value and eventually another nice car is lost forever.

My advice is to get the car running and stopping and then do things to it as needed. Don't O.D. on cosmetics until the mechanicals are sorted out.

Buy the parts manuals. They are available from all the Studebaker vendors. They show all the parts of the car, how they fit together, what their proper name is, and the part number. The Studebaker vendors use these parts numbers.

Studebaker vendors are familiar with all the parts of your car and will not make the same mistakes as the 18 year old clerks at AutoZone.

215/75R-15 tires are the proper diameter, but a bit wide for the stock 4.5" wheels that originally came on the car. I use this size on all of mine, and fit them on the 51-56 wheels which are 5" wide.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
    The fun begins. Take lots of pictures. If you take anything apart, bag and tag. Now you have to convince your friends to help...
    This only works if the friends "bag and tag" as carefully as you do.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    The fun begins. Take lots of pictures. If you take anything apart, bag and tag. Now you have to convince your friends to help...

Leave a comment:

• steve75
    replied
    so upon further inspection of my new purchase, i find some oddities (not bad I hope). First, the antennae is mounted on drivers side rear fender, second, side view mirrors mounted on front fenders not on doors, third, side grills below headlights are chrome, fourth headlight surround is chrome (albeit in the trunk). Does anyone know if these are standard options on the 62 GT Hawk? I will be picking ump the car this week and can't wait to begin cleaning it up, getting it running and bringing new life into this classic beauty. I will also be buying new tires - from what I've read - it seems like a good set of white wall 215 x 75R x 15's would work. I've order the build sheet and anxiously await it's arrival.

Leave a comment:

• steve75
    replied
    oil filter on top of engine.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    535601 is the early '62 and earlier Casting Number for all V8 Blocks, this would be a Partial Flow Oil Filter equipped Engine with the Oil Filter on top of the engine, IF it has a Filter.

Sounds like you got a good Deal.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    Looks like you have yourself a nice catch there Steve! On the headlamp door (bezel) it takes a special screw to retain it. If it's not in the trunk with the part see if someone in the local club has one. If not there are Studebaker vendors that have them. Studebaker International has whats left of the stock from the factory inventory. I write a "wish list" of things before I order anything cutting down on shipping & handling charges.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    Casting number? Good for you. Save another one and the world will admire it.

Leave a comment:

• steve75
    replied
    Update: I got the car. Went back for a second viewing with a auto body guy. He says it's an easy restoration, some surface rust on floor and carpet is dry rot. headliner and seats all original and in great shape (needs cleaning only). Engine Number - P86015 - so looks like its a v8 289. Car is whole no missing parts. Passenger headlight chrome trim is in trunk of car. I will be needing some parts I'm sure but nothing major. My auto body guy was going to offer twice my offer if it wasn't accepted - so looks like a got a good deal. Really looking forward to starting this project and have a nice driving "weekender" soon. Again, thank you all for your responses they provided much needed guidance. Last question (for now)... on front of engine passenger side. I saw a number of 5__ 535601 what does this represent? thanks all!

Leave a comment:

• ToGa 42
    replied
    One thing to check before purchasing, is making sure that the engine will turn over. Studebaker V-8's seem to have a tendency to seize if left setting. It appears that this GT Hawk has not seen any recent use, I would install a battery and make sure it will turn over. Good Luck, and welcome to the Studebaker Fold! Tom T.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X