Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to all this, requesting your patience!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for correcting my jargon, as I said - I'm new and I am really enjoying the feedback and mentoring. Thanks all. I need to focus on closing this deal and I will happily participate in the club and activities once I get the car (fingers crossed)!!! I did order the production build sheet from the museum so once i get that, I'll know what I got! And if I don't get the car I'll offer it to the seller.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
      Very nice looking. If it is an American car with the Canadian grille surrounds, on that black car, it looks good. Enjoy stressing your carpal tunnel tendons cleaning those wire wheels.
      PURE speculation, is the car might have been involved in a front-end accident early in its life, hence the chrome side grille surrounds and the '63 style headlight rim on the driver's side. If it was a Hamilton-built Hawk, it will have a 62VC serial number.

Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Steve - You might want to know that the Studebaker Drivers Club Northeast Zone Meet is in Waterbury Connecticut on September 12-14 (primarily 13th). It is at the CocoKey Resort. You are welcome to come and check out Studebakers whether you get this Hawk or not.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Some Canadian hawks were 6 cylinder! Stylish, yes....and not really expensive.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Good looking car, I hope you get it. I do like the wire wheels too.

Comment

One thing to check before purchasing, is making sure that the engine will turn over. Studebaker V-8's seem to have a tendency to seize if left setting. It appears that this GT Hawk has not seen any recent use, I would install a battery and make sure it will turn over. Good Luck, and welcome to the Studebaker Fold! Tom T.

Comment

Update: I got the car. Went back for a second viewing with a auto body guy. He says it's an easy restoration, some surface rust on floor and carpet is dry rot. headliner and seats all original and in great shape (needs cleaning only). Engine Number - P86015 - so looks like its a v8 289. Car is whole no missing parts. Passenger headlight chrome trim is in trunk of car. I will be needing some parts I'm sure but nothing major. My auto body guy was going to offer twice my offer if it wasn't accepted - so looks like a got a good deal. Really looking forward to starting this project and have a nice driving "weekender" soon. Again, thank you all for your responses they provided much needed guidance. Last question (for now)... on front of engine passenger side. I saw a number of 5__ 535601 what does this represent? thanks all!

Comment

Casting number? Good for you. Save another one and the world will admire it.

Comment

Looks like you have yourself a nice catch there Steve! On the headlamp door (bezel) it takes a special screw to retain it. If it's not in the trunk with the part see if someone in the local club has one. If not there are Studebaker vendors that have them. Studebaker International has whats left of the stock from the factory inventory. I write a "wish list" of things before I order anything cutting down on shipping & handling charges.
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

535601 is the early '62 and earlier Casting Number for all V8 Blocks, this would be a Partial Flow Oil Filter equipped Engine with the Oil Filter on top of the engine, IF it has a Filter.

Sounds like you got a good Deal.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

oil filter on top of engine.

Comment

so upon further inspection of my new purchase, i find some oddities (not bad I hope). First, the antennae is mounted on drivers side rear fender, second, side view mirrors mounted on front fenders not on doors, third, side grills below headlights are chrome, fourth headlight surround is chrome (albeit in the trunk). Does anyone know if these are standard options on the 62 GT Hawk? I will be picking ump the car this week and can't wait to begin cleaning it up, getting it running and bringing new life into this classic beauty. I will also be buying new tires - from what I've read - it seems like a good set of white wall 215 x 75R x 15's would work. I've order the build sheet and anxiously await it's arrival.

Comment

The fun begins. Take lots of pictures. If you take anything apart, bag and tag. Now you have to convince your friends to help...

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                              The fun begins. Take lots of pictures. If you take anything apart, bag and tag. Now you have to convince your friends to help...
                              This only works if the friends "bag and tag" as carefully as you do.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

You have a very nice car. One mistake newbies tend to make is to take everything apart, then run out of energy and never get it back together. Then there are family problems because of the junk sitting around, the car gets parted out or sold for parts value and eventually another nice car is lost forever.

My advice is to get the car running and stopping and then do things to it as needed. Don't O.D. on cosmetics until the mechanicals are sorted out.

Buy the parts manuals. They are available from all the Studebaker vendors. They show all the parts of the car, how they fit together, what their proper name is, and the part number. The Studebaker vendors use these parts numbers.

Studebaker vendors are familiar with all the parts of your car and will not make the same mistakes as the 18 year old clerks at AutoZone.

215/75R-15 tires are the proper diameter, but a bit wide for the stock 4.5" wheels that originally came on the car. I use this size on all of mine, and fit them on the 51-56 wheels which are 5" wide.
                                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                                X