Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRoberts
    replied
    My '61 Champ is rather unique. It's serial number is E5-131451. It was originally sent to, or through, the Campbell dealership in Raleigh, NC. (I had never heard of this dealership) The truck was ordered for the "FLEET STATE OF NC" . The "6152 SHERWOOD GREEN" color fits that the truck was originally used by the North Carolina Forest Service. The green color was discovered when we put new rubber around the back window. The previous owner worked in the NC Forest Service and got it when the state decided to get rid of it. When I bought the truck many years ago the previous owner had painted it what we call in North Carolina, Carolina Blue. He had also put an genuine R1 engine in the truck. It has a three speed transmission with overdrive. The previous owner built it and used it to pull a trailer to events with Studebaker parts for sale. Maybe the most rare part of this truck is its long bed. It was built in March 23, 1961. One great thing down by the previous owner was to put a Lark split front seat. It allows each access to things behind the seat.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    6E5 - 132240 - 112 WB - T4 cab - for sale on Ebay, October 2020

four speed, climitizer, oil filter - lots of aftermarket things.

Info from ad: Studebaker.This is a 1961 Champ truck from NC I got it from a guy who had it for 11 years He had the moter rebuilt about 4 years ago. Put 3000 miles on it and the starter went out.So he parked it the last 5 years. I had the starter rebuilt and carberater rebuilt to. I rebuilt the braks with new rear weel cyl on the back the frounts were new a few yerar befor I got the truck and new rubber lines It startes right up and runs good There is a 3 speed over drive Transmission in it The over drive is hooked to a switch I had to put 4 tires on it and I repainted all the white trim Paint has some deflects It;s a good driver and would not take mucth body work to have it ready for a good paint job I am helping Robert to sell his car and truck .

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    Originally posted by Milaca View Post
    I'm tempted to bid on the Seamist green Champ, looks like a nice truck. What are your thoughts on its condition?
    There are only a couple things that I would want to look at closer. The sheet metal above the sliding rear window seems like it might be pretty rusty - not sure if it is rusted out or surface. Only other thing is the rear leaf spring on the left side. Those front spring bracket should not have a bolt in it - it is part of that bracket - not sure why that is so.

Other than that, the price is about maxed out on its current value. It would be a great truck to just maintain and drive - all those floors need work.

Leave a comment:

• Milaca
    replied
    I'm tempted to bid on the Seamist green Champ, looks like a nice truck. What are your thoughts on its condition?

Update, it sold for $6599. Did anybody here buy it?
    Last edited by Milaca; 09-07-2020, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    It IS amazing, More people actually connect those Climatizer's incorrectly than correctly, so you can never turn the Heat OFF!

Wouldn't most, even backyard, "Shadetree" Mechanic's replace one Hose at a time so you might get it right?

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    6E7-15261 - 112 WB - T6 cab - for sale on Ebay, September 2020.

Radio, climitizer, overdrive, lighter.

Info from ad: Up for auction is the very rare and complete vintage Studebaker Champ. When was the last time you saw one of these driving down the road or up for auction? And if you did they probably were completely rusted out and not drivable. This 2 owner dry New Mexico truck has a rebuilt engine with less than 3000 miles on it. The patina is it’s original Seamist green exterior paint as well as original Studebaker hubcaps with all the trim molding and badging complete. The only noticeable rust is the bottom of the tailgate. The previous owner replaced the floor pans. The interior is a solid 9 out of 10 with the only noticeable damage is a pitted windshield. Everything works on the truck and was recently taken on a 500 mile road trip out of state with zero issues. The V8 259 has tons of power that utilizes a manual 3 on the tree with a very rare factory optioned overdrive. The 1/2 ton truck has a new exhaust system with new brakes.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    6E7-15089 - 122 WB - T6 cab - for sale on Hemmings, July 2020

overdrive, climitizer, oil filter - not sure if

Info from ad: Long bed, same owner for years, good body and paint, nice interior, original V8 3 speed, runs and drives

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    commented on 's reply
    For the gas cap, see if there might be a small hole in the body near the filler. iIRC, I think it was a small linked chain that was attached to the center of the cap and then attached to the cab a short distance away. Good luck.

• Mike in CA
    replied
    Hi, I'm curious where the tethered gas cap chain was attached to. Someone has replaced it with a locking gas cap. I just crawled under the truck, it is a full flow block but there is a block off plate where the oil filter would be. It has an upside down spin on filter bolted to the oil filter pipe. Also I did some online research, the brake booster is a Midland Ross unit, looks like parts are still available for them. The motor mount is missing on the drivers side, the engine is hard mounted to the frame on that side with pieces of angle iron. The mount on the right side is pretty cobbled together also. I appreciate the information, I'm really looking forward to getting this truck running again

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Actually what you "Think" is Aftermarket is probably NOT!
    Studebaker added those H.D. components on Fleet Trucks when ordered, and all Borg Warner H.D. Flight-O-Matics in late model Trucks had the Special remote Trans. Cooler.

If it is a Bendix Hydrovac Booster it may also be a Standard Stude. Option without seeing it, not sure.

Your Full Flow Oil Filter Engine is a replacement 259 c.i.d. V8 from a 1964 Car, assembled Oct. 31, 1963 (Happy Halloween!)

That fits perfectly with the Omaha Orange Paint the Cal Trans Champs were Ordered with.

When I delivered a New one to them, I had to push the Accelerator gently, because with the Low Gear Start Automatic and a Twin Traction (I THINK) 3.73 Diff. it would "Lay Rubber" easily!

Does it still have the "Tethered" Gas Cap on a Chain?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 03-31-2020, 07:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mike in CA
    replied
    Hi everyone!
    I just bought a 1961 champ and am making a list of what's it's going to take to get it running. Here's the truck info, serial E12-4819 Model 6E12-122 Cab 6E-T4 Engine VK331 This truck was a Cal Trans truck. The guy I bought it from got the truck with no bed on it but said it originally had a utility bed. The guy he bought it from had two former Cal trans champs and took the bed off of my truck because the other champ was in better shape. It has a V8, automatic trans, aftermarket brake booster, and an aftermarket transmission oil cooler installed under the passenger side floor board/ seat area. The truck currently has car doors on it but I bought a set of champ doors from the same seller, which also came off of a cal trans champ

Last edited by 62champ; 05-15-2020, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    It's nice that they mowed the grass . . . .

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    6E5-130018 - 122 WB - T6 cab - posted for sale on Studebaker Addicts Facebook page

Hard to saw what was original and not - let photos speak for themselves...

Leave a comment:

• RebelStude
    replied
    Here is a 6E-5-112, VIN 132133. Another parts trucks brought home as a donor.Click image for larger version

Name:	6E5-112.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1817441

Leave a comment:

• ChampCouple
    replied
    Interesting, I didn't know that.
    I need to order a production order.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X