That PA turnpike is expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That PA turnpike is expensive

Just returned from a trip from Ohio to NJ to pick up my new Stude. I spent about $300 on gas of which maybe 10% was road tax, then I spent about $100 in tolls. The Pennsylvania Turn Pike got me for $32.xx going out with an empty trailer and $48.50 on the return with a loaded trailer. NJ got me for $6.25 each way on about a 10 mile stretch. Man, what a bad taste that puts in your mouth! Did Pa recently raise their tolls?? I don't remember it even close to those number a short time ago. I know one thing, I won't take that route anymore!!!

Yes, the Pennsylvanie Turnpike Commission raised their toll rates in 2014. Did you also use the New Jersey Turnpike? I believe they raised their tolls a bit this year as well.

Depending on where in Ohio you are coming from there are other ways to cross Pennsylanvia to New Jersey and New York.... We drive to western Ohio periodically to visit relatives out there, and we never pay tolls. Next time, use I80 eastbound. If you are headed to New York or northern New Jersey just stay on it into NJ and get off close to your destination. If you are headed to central or southern NJ, take PA33 at Stroudsburg and go down to I78 in Easton / Bethlehem and continue on to NJ.

And while you whiz past Easton on 78, wave, - we'll wave back :-)

-George-

Comment

If you have EZPASS it is cheaper . If not in big hurry I use Route 30 or 22 when going from west to east or east to west if driving a Studebaker I like to keep on less traveled roads rather than turnpike less pressure more enjoyable in my view. Driving at 65 70 MPH with windows down in non air conditioned as on turnpike gets very tiring for me on slower roads less noise .

Comment

We drove from northwest Indiana to Dover on 30 to the nationals in our 51 and it was great.

Comment

For the last 50 yrs I always remember the Pa TP as being under construction and it still is. It's also extremely dangerous with narrow lanes etc., especially when hauling a trailer. Speed limits are typically 50 to 55 mph through construction areas which seem like most of the state. Not at all a pleasant trip. You are right, acolds, I think rt 22 would be a better alternative.

Comment

My wife's family are from Ohio, we use old US30 when we have the time.
            Plenty of places to stop and eat and stay over night if need be. This was the original way to go west
            before the Pa turnpike was completed.
            Rt. 30 is old and slow, like me.
            sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
            Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
            "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Going to York from OK. Highway 40 from Washington, Pa. to I-81. How is that for traveling?

Comment

In CO, E-470 charges $7 to go around Denver for a car... add a trailer... empty or loaded and it's $28. Bet PA got you on the same scam.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                  Just returned from a trip from Ohio to NJ to pick up my new Stude. I spent about $300 on gas of which maybe 10% was road tax, then I spent about $100 in tolls. The Pennsylvania Turn Pike got me for $32.xx going out with an empty trailer and $48.50 on the return with a loaded trailer. NJ got me for $6.25 each way on about a 10 mile stretch. Man, what a bad taste that puts in your mouth! Did Pa recently raise their tolls?? I don't remember it even close to those number a short time ago. I know one thing, I won't take that route anymore!!!
                  What did you buy Nels? Or are you saying?

Stu Chapman

Comment

Once ALL the hiways are "privatized" - you'll get the least road for the most money. Make sure you vote in your own best interests come November! Watch'em even levy an extra ka-ching if you're out in your vintage vehicle - like maybe an old, oil-spewing Studebaker! All that extra road-scrubbing don'tcha know.
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                      What did you buy Nels? Or are you saying?

Stu Chapman
                      Stu
                      I bought 64 Avanti for which I am now looking for turquoise interior panels or vinyl by the yard or foot or maybe inch if that's all that is available. Anybody know where any is available?

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                        Once ALL the hiways are "privatized" - you'll get the least road for the most money. Make sure you vote in your own best interests come November! Watch'em even levy an extra ka-ching if you're out in your vintage vehicle - like maybe an old, oil-spewing Studebaker! All that extra road-scrubbing don'tcha know.
                        Is the Pa turnpike privately owned?

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
                          Is the Pa turnpike privately owned?
                          As for now Nels, it is still owned by the Commonwealth of Penna. We just returned from a weekend in JoyZee at Mr.& Mrs. JTS359's. Used our new E-Z Pass on both Pikes, saved 37%.
                          Jim
                          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Crap! I was going to take the West Virginia Turnpike (normally $6) to bring the Daytona north with me this weekend. I'll have to remember to ask what the rate is with a dolly...
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Drove on the PA turnpike this summer across much of PA and found it ironic when paying tolls and still having a highway much of which was really in disrepair. I often drive the WVA Turnpike and find it a good road but its tolls have been steadily rising over the last few years.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X