No announcement yet.

1961 silver hawk listed on e-bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erin, there's two sides to every coin- many times a vehicle or item gets written off based on thinking it's worse than the pictures, and it turns out to be BETTER- and bought for a song by someone who made a judgement call based on objectivity. I've done that more than once! So when people are down on an item, that can work to my advantage! I say let the naysayers have their naysay; I'll consider it, and make my own judgement. But there's nothing to be gained by going off and misspelling "whiners" when while I agree some went off on a tangent, getting chesty does nothing positive either!

That said, it appears pretty clearly that in this case, the reservations stated ARE warranted. The pic JP posted looks pretty clear to me. If I were interested in this car, however, I wouldn't dismiss it just yet; I'd see it myself and make my decision.

On this subject, I'm in a unique position in central NY; folks from the West coast incorrectly assume every car out here is a rust bucket[)] Yes, salt is used here, and does damage cars. But here's a secret (don't tell them!): There are PLENTY of cars here that have either a. Never seen Winter- garage kept- and so are as good or better than western cars or b. Came here from the West as collector cars, and have also never seen salt! So the result is the assumption that if it's here, it'll have rust issues- and I can buy them cheaper!

I'm keeping hope alive that my R2 Lark will surface in the Northeast and be written off by most, thus making the price rational; and it won't have the roof and tops of everything rotted out like so many of the West coast cars do!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I agree that a hands on look would be in order, but based on the way that bottom frame plate looks, I, personally would pass on even looking based on his over 20K reserve, others may well disagree. As you recall, we had the same sort of discussion on Christine and I read them, considered them carefully, especially the negative ones and still bought the car. Many times I hear "It's not worth the XXXX he's asking", I still buy the car and resell at a profit. That might be the case with this car too, and someone else may find it's a bargain, I've been wrong before.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT cost to date
      $60,222.25
      63 GT Hawk
      63 Lark 2 door
      59 Scotsman
      54 Starlight
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree that a hands on look would be in order, but based on the way that bottom frame plate looks, I, personally would pass on even looking based on his over 20K reserve, others may well disagree. As you recall, we had the same sort of discussion on Christine and I read them, considered them carefully, especially the negative ones and still bought the car. Many times I hear "It's not worth the XXXX he's asking", I still buy the car and resell at a profit. That might be the case with this car too, and someone else may find it's a bargain, I've been wrong before.

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT cost to date
        $60,222.25
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Lark 2 door
        59 Scotsman
        54 Starlight
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

i just get aggrevated that so many are so quick to label a car junk. my frame was in a lot worse shape than that one and i fixed it. 1 of the holes pointed out is next to the fuel line and makes it look worse than it is. i never said it had a perfect frame, i just want people to realize that when they start bashing something on this site it may belong to someone else on this site or the negitive comments may stop potential studebaker owners or future drivers from getting interested. I take my Hawk to shows all the time the majority of the people that come up and talk to me about it are ( not to step on any toes) old. The Studebaker Drivers club could die off as member that remeber when studebaker was in business go to the big junk yard in the sky where no frame rot exisit. If we scare off potential buyers and member with downing everything that comes along. I am just trying to get people to notice they can word things differently awnser a question get thier point across and still not sound like a negitive nelly.
          I also would like to appoligize for mispelling anything in the past or the future. i am not a teacher and have been out of schoool awhile. i dont worry to much about spelling and or typos when i am writing if that is an issue please let me know and i will find the proper grammer forum section and try to learn me some more of it.

Erin Hays
          "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
          RZRECTD
          1961 Hawk
          1962 Lark
          1963 Wagonaire

Comment

i just get aggrevated that so many are so quick to label a car junk. my frame was in a lot worse shape than that one and i fixed it. 1 of the holes pointed out is next to the fuel line and makes it look worse than it is. i never said it had a perfect frame, i just want people to realize that when they start bashing something on this site it may belong to someone else on this site or the negitive comments may stop potential studebaker owners or future drivers from getting interested. I take my Hawk to shows all the time the majority of the people that come up and talk to me about it are ( not to step on any toes) old. The Studebaker Drivers club could die off as member that remeber when studebaker was in business go to the big junk yard in the sky where no frame rot exisit. If we scare off potential buyers and member with downing everything that comes along. I am just trying to get people to notice they can word things differently awnser a question get thier point across and still not sound like a negitive nelly.
            I also would like to appoligize for mispelling anything in the past or the future. i am not a teacher and have been out of schoool awhile. i dont worry to much about spelling and or typos when i am writing if that is an issue please let me know and i will find the proper grammer forum section and try to learn me some more of it.

Erin Hays
            "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
            RZRECTD
            1961 Hawk
            1962 Lark
            1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Don't worry about the spelling, but a spell checker is part of forum. If you see a red line under a word, right click on it, and it'll give you the correct spelling. Back to the Hawk, no one suggested the frame could not be repaired, just that it's something you that bidders should be aware of. Remember, the thread started with the question "Does anyone know anything about this car ?"

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT cost to date
              $60,222.25
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Lark 2 door
              59 Scotsman
              54 Starlight
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Don't worry about the spelling, but a spell checker is part of forum. If you see a red line under a word, right click on it, and it'll give you the correct spelling. Back to the Hawk, no one suggested the frame could not be repaired, just that it's something you that bidders should be aware of. Remember, the thread started with the question "Does anyone know anything about this car ?"

JDP/Maryland
                64 R2 GT cost to date
                $60,222.25
                63 GT Hawk
                63 Lark 2 door
                59 Scotsman
                54 Starlight
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

PLease remember that this car was discussed in detail before, so this is the second time around on the subject. Obviously other people had reservations on the condition or the price as it did not sell.

Comment

PLease remember that this car was discussed in detail before, so this is the second time around on the subject. Obviously other people had reservations on the condition or the price as it did not sell.

Comment

Working...
                    X