1961 silver hawk listed on e-bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 silver hawk listed on e-bay

Does anyone know anything about this car? It' been on the e-bay site for a few days. No bids so far. Nice looking black/red interior. Located in Coral Springs, Fla. Minimum opening bid amount a little under $10m. Doesn't sound all that unreasonable from the car's appearance in the photos. Your thoughts?????

There were no 'Silver' or 'Golden' Hawk's in 1961.
    All Hawks then were just called Hawk's.
    If you are talking about Ebay item# 260172731245, then ask about the car carefully. Cape Coral is on the gulf coast. This car could have come from anywhere and could have rust issues. I'd always look triple close when the seller says 'added undercoating' to preserve the undercarraige. They are also clear to say 'unrestored', and 'original'... and is being offered by a used car auction company..
    Not poo-pooing the car by any means, but I'd want to see this one up close and in person before spending my money...
    (I'd also get the VIN and check to see if it really is a factory 4-speed car)
    Just an opinion from a rusty '61 Hawk owner...
    Jeff

quote:Originally posted by 1941stude

Does anyone know anything about this car? It' been on the e-bay site for a few days. No bids so far. Nice looking black/red interior. Located in Coral Springs, Fla. Minimum opening bid amount a little under $10m. Doesn't sound all that unreasonable from the car's appearance in the photos. Your thoughts?????
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There were no 'Silver' or 'Golden' Hawk's in 1961.
      All Hawks then were just called Hawk's.
      If you are talking about Ebay item# 260172731245, then ask about the car carefully. Cape Coral is on the gulf coast. This car could have come from anywhere and could have rust issues. I'd always look triple close when the seller says 'added undercoating' to preserve the undercarraige. They are also clear to say 'unrestored', and 'original'... and is being offered by a used car auction company..
      Not poo-pooing the car by any means, but I'd want to see this one up close and in person before spending my money...
      (I'd also get the VIN and check to see if it really is a factory 4-speed car)
      Just an opinion from a rusty '61 Hawk owner...
      Jeff

quote:Originally posted by 1941stude

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I didn't look the car up and you didn't provide a link, but you probably mean $10K, not "$10m", and if it is a 1961, it is a Hawk, not a "silver hawk."

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I didn't look the car up and you didn't provide a link, but you probably mean $10K, not "$10m", and if it is a 1961, it is a Hawk, not a "silver hawk."

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

We've discussed this car the last time it was up, maybe on the news group. It has MAJOR frame ruse issues that the large amount of undercoating could not cover. The good news is, it did not make reserve at 22K last trip, so no one was disappointed.

JDP/Maryland
            64 R2 GT cost to date
            $60,222.25
            63 GT Hawk
            63 Lark 2 door
            59 Scotsman
            54 Starlight
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

We've discussed this car the last time it was up, maybe on the news group. It has MAJOR frame ruse issues that the large amount of undercoating could not cover. The good news is, it did not make reserve at 22K last trip, so no one was disappointed.

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT cost to date
              $60,222.25
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Lark 2 door
              59 Scotsman
              54 Starlight
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Pretty much my feelings, too. Did not know about previous offering at $22m (yes I do mean $22m...'M' in Roman numerals stands for thousand..In my line of work-finance-we've always used the 'M' to represent thousand and 'MM' for million and continue to do so even though frequently these days others use the 'k' interchangably. I accept both abreviations). Now, back to the Hawk: Following the discontiuance of the gold/silver designation, someone refresh my memory. Was there ever a year prior to GT production that all Hawks were post coupes and not hardtops? Thanks again.

41s

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Pretty much my feelings, too. Did not know about previous offering at $22m (yes I do mean $22m...'M' in Roman numerals stands for thousand..In my line of work-finance-we've always used the 'M' to represent thousand and 'MM' for million and continue to do so even though frequently these days others use the 'k' interchangably. I accept both abreviations). Now, back to the Hawk: Following the discontiuance of the gold/silver designation, someone refresh my memory. Was there ever a year prior to GT production that all Hawks were post coupes and not hardtops? Thanks again.

41s

Comment

Sure, the 59 Silver Hawk and the 60 and 61 Hawks were coupes and alone in the line.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 R2 GT cost to date
                    $60,222.25
                    63 GT Hawk
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    59 Scotsman
                    54 Starlight
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Sure, the 59 Silver Hawk and the 60 and 61 Hawks were coupes and alone in the line.

JDP/Maryland
                      64 R2 GT cost to date
                      $60,222.25
                      63 GT Hawk
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      59 Scotsman
                      54 Starlight
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

'41 ,Thanks for the 'm' & 'k' explanation too! I've always thought the 'm' was 100... It's been a long time since I've seen the inside of a school though!!

LaSalle,Il
                        61Hawk
                        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

'41 ,Thanks for the 'm' & 'k' explanation too! I've always thought the 'm' was 100... It's been a long time since I've seen the inside of a school though!!

LaSalle,Il
                          61Hawk
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

It's over 12k or m . Somebody in Fl please go put your thumb through the frame.

LaSalle,Il
                            61Hawk
                            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

It's over 12k or m . Somebody in Fl please go put your thumb through the frame.

LaSalle,Il
                              61Hawk
                              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                              X