Shrunk My Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrunk My Steering Wheel

Went from 19 inches down to 16 inches. With power steering didn't need all that leverage.

You are an awesome possum, Carl!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Looks really nice, Carl. I hope you didn't get a citation for parking in a RAM-only parking spot!
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

VERY nice! Is that a '56 Commander sedan? Wish my car looked that pretty!
        Last edited by studeclunker; 08-21-2014, 08:01 AM. Reason: remove sig. line
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

56 Parkview

Comment

Ah... I was right then. That is to say, the coloured wheel looks even better than I thought it would! Beautifully done! My car has the black wheel and it's in almost perfect condition. Kinda glad about that as I really don't have the cash to get a new one. However a dark green wheel would look much nicer matching the dash the way yours does. I wonder if mine could be painted? Click image for larger version

Name:	emo15.gif
Views:	3
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1691834I know the two-tone wheels like the Larks had would be wrong, but it would match the dash...

Interesting how your Car is in the light green two-tone and mine was done in the dark. The medium green/light combination looks softer than the contrast with the dark/light green. Would you be willing to post a side shot?

I'll bet it's easier to slide in under that smaller wheel now.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

To: ST2DE5....I'm impressed!.....Will you explain just how you accomplished this please?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                To: ST2DE5....I'm impressed!.....Will you explain just how you accomplished this please?
                INDEED!!! Please do tell...

And while you are at it- please also explain the other major change I see.

(you know- in that spot where the usually radio goes... )

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The place for the radio was cut out for a bigger one. Looked like they used a axe. I tried to put metal back in but didn't work so I cut a piece of metal dolled it and welded it in. And the steering wheel first you have to find one from a GM in the 70nds. The inside ring is the same size just lay it out and weld it and fill in the gaps.

Comment

Here is one I done on the 49 truck about 10 years ago. You can't tell to much with the cover but the black wheel makes my hands sweat.

Comment

I don't know how to cut and paste to give a website to click on, but if you type in:

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/1...do_filler.html

It shows a way of modifying a wheel to a smaller diameter.
                      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

WELL
                        That didn't work.
                        There is a tech article on that site that shows how to modify a stock wheel to a smaller diameter.
                        "Reclaiming a stock steering wheel-Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!"
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I had a pal at work in the late 70's who made me a small whell for my -62 beetle at the time, much work for only a winter-car...

Comment

Try:
                            http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...teering wheel/
                            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I find it interesting that this subject came up, as I've recently been thinking of modifying a 17" diameter '55 C/K wheel in this manner. (possibly reducing its diameter to 15 1/2")

Comment

Working...
                              X