Studebaker Powered Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Powered Boats

The post about Studebaker Boats got me thinking about the boats in my youth. Growing up in Seattle in the Fifties, with Lake Washington and many other lakes, we had lots runabouts and speedboats around, most often Chris-Craft or Century, with mahogany planking, one or two cockpits and a solid V-8 under the engine cover. Were any of them Studebaker powered? This of course begs the question of whether anybody manufactured the necessary components to adapt the Stude to marine use, namely the direct water cooling conversion.

Being a really solid V-8, meaning lots of cast iron, the Stude would seem a natural. Later on, the AMC V-8 was an effective marine engine.

Does anybody remember boats like Chris-Craft's or Centuries with Stude power?

Frank Starr
    Seattle

Frank,

I recall that there was a short article with pictures in Turning Wheels sometime in the mid to late '70's about a boat in your area that was powered by 2 Avanti engines. If I have a chance, I will try to find it.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Frank,

I recall that there was a short article with pictures in Turning Wheels sometime in the mid to late '70's about a boat in your area that was powered by 2 Avanti engines. If I have a chance, I will try to find it.

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

A boat company bought more then a few Avanti supercharged surplus engines, even sol a few in TW's later.

JDP/Maryland
        64 R2 GT cost to date
        $60,222.25
        63 GT Hawk
        63 Lark 2 door
        59 Scotsman
        54 Starlight
        52 Starliner
        51 Commander
        39 Coupe express
        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

A boat company bought more then a few Avanti supercharged surplus engines, even sol a few in TW's later.

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT cost to date
          $60,222.25
          63 GT Hawk
          63 Lark 2 door
          59 Scotsman
          54 Starlight
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

The R engine I have in my Avanti now was used in a drag boat for a while, then was stored. I got it as a shortblock with no accesories or pullies.
            Rob

Comment

The R engine I have in my Avanti now was used in a drag boat for a while, then was stored. I got it as a shortblock with no accesories or pullies.
              Rob

Comment

I'll have to dig but I believe I bought an article about using a Champion motor to power a boat. Gave the necessary information to convert.
                I dug and found it. The title of the article is Marining a Champion. It's five pages long and looks to be out of Science and Mechanics mag March 1962.

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

I'll have to dig but I believe I bought an article about using a Champion motor to power a boat. Gave the necessary information to convert.
                  I dug and found it. The title of the article is Marining a Champion. It's five pages long and looks to be out of Science and Mechanics mag March 1962.

1963 Cruiser, 1963 Wagonaire, 1952 Champion. Based in Oregon.

Comment

Hmmm, an Avanti engine in a drag boat. That would interesting to see.

The Champ engine would be good in a smaller boat, I'd think. It wouldn't take up much room either. Be interesting to try one with some of Cathcart's mods too.

Comment

Hmmm, an Avanti engine in a drag boat. That would interesting to see.

The Champ engine would be good in a smaller boat, I'd think. It wouldn't take up much room either. Be interesting to try one with some of Cathcart's mods too.

Comment

I know I've see parts to adapt the Champion 6s.

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know I've see parts to adapt the Champion 6s.

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Do not forget that Packard engines were also adapted to marine use.

Comment

Do not forget that Packard engines were also adapted to marine use.

Comment

Working...
                              X