Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else notice this Parallel Fetish?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anybody else notice this Parallel Fetish?

    Did anyone else notice the parallel fetish reported on Pages 36-39 of the new, October 2014 Hemmings Classic Car?

    Therein, Greer SC Chrysler dealer Jim Benson's unusual collection of 1954 Plymouth Belvederes is shown.

    In 1954, Belvedere was the top Plymouth trim level, and there were four body styles offered in the Belvedere line: convertible, 2-door hardtop, 4-door sedan, and station wagon. Jim has one of each.

    What kind of weirdo would want to assemble an oddball collection like that; all four body styles of the top trim level in a given year of collector car?



    'Different strokes for different folks, I would suppose.

    (I showed Jim's collection to my wife and she gently observed that his collection was a whole lot nicer than my set of -ahem- "friendly drivers." I commented that there was nothing there that my set of Daytonas and $200,000 couldn't remedy. ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  • #2
    Have often thought it would be cool to have four Champ trucks, all different as far as wheel base/beds are concerned - two 112 wheel base with one P1 bed and one P2. Then another pair with 122 wheel base and a single P1 and P2 bed...now all being the same color - not going to get that specific - they don't even have to be the same year...

    Comment


    • #3
      Go for it, Patrick; they don't have to be perfect, and that would be a unique collection. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

      Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

      G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

      Comment


      • #4
        four body styles

        They are all white, too.

        Comment


        • #5
          This picture is just so WHITE and PURE,as if from ABOVE
          Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          Did anyone else notice the parallel fetish reported on Pages 36-39 of the new, October 2014 Hemmings Classic Car?

          Therein, Greer SC Chrysler dealer Jim Benson's unusual collection of 1954 Plymouth Belvederes is shown.

          In 1954, Belvedere was the top Plymouth trim level, and there were four body styles offered in the Belvedere line: convertible, 2-door hardtop, 4-door sedan, and station wagon. Jim has one of each.

          What kind of weirdo would want to assemble an oddball collection like that; all four body styles of the top trim level in a given year of collector car?



          'Different strokes for different folks, I would suppose.

          (I showed Jim's collection to my wife and she gently observed that his collection was a whole lot nicer than my set of -ahem- "friendly drivers." I commented that there was nothing there that my set of Daytonas and $200,000 couldn't remedy. ) BP
          Joseph R. Zeiger

          Comment


          • #6
            I once planned to get one of every body style of 50 Commander. I actually had a starlight coupe and a convertible concurrently. Too many other cars and too little time/money squashed that dream.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-18-2014, 04:24 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

            17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
              This picture is just so WHITE and PURE,as if from ABOVE
              Joe, that's why the coined the term, "20-footer." BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

              Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

              G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Still maintaining My position Bob
                Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Joe, that's why the coined the term, "20-footer." BP
                Joseph R. Zeiger

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bob, you didn't use 1954 on purpose, did you?

                  Jim Benson's unusual collection of 1954 Plymouth Belvederes is shown.


                  Those are not 1954 anythings.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tom B View Post
                    Bob, you didn't use 1954 on purpose, did you?



                    Those are not 1954 anythings. [/B]

                    Agreed, I thought I was going to have to point it out until I kept reading through the thread...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      At least the Studes are exciting to look at! The Belvederes would incite a yawn-fest! And Bob - how's about staring that same foursome after a fresh snowfall?
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I haven't seen it, but I doubt Mr. Benson would be crazy enough to collect 4 all the same COLOR, WHO would do that?
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Strangely I've had 2 -54 Plymouth's at different times & both happened to be 4-door Savoy's & that's the only 50's Plymouth's I've had, the rest have been Chrysler's &... STUDEBAKER!!!
                          How many Studebaker's?
                          Eh... one, my Josephine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            [QUOTE=Roscomacaw; At least the Studes are exciting to look at! The Belvederes would incite a yawn-fest! And Bob - how's about staring that same foursome after a fresh snowfall?[/QUOTE]

                            Roscomacaw, please don't be too hard on the '54 Plymouths! I owned one of the most odd-ball '54 Plymouths built- a Plaza station wagon, dark green inside and out with optional full tinted glass, and the new Powerflite transmission option. So plain-jane, it hurt. But, it was a durable, take-a-lot of punishment, vehicle and as a wagon, served as a pickup truck at times. Agreed, not a looker, but tough as nails.

                            Frank Drumheller
                            Locust Grove, VA
                            60S-W6
                            M16-52 '48 Boyer-bodied fire truck

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Frank, I've owned several Mopar low end products that I still think fondly of. As you say: Tough as nails!
                              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X