No announcement yet.

Avanti Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always used the idea that, old paint is a better base then new primer! In other words, if the old paint is sticking, and not peeling or blistering, block sand it and feather it out. the seal and prime.
    When I painted my Avanti in 1981, I used 80 grit on my straight line sander and blocked the old paint down/off. I did not remove all of the old paint! There was only the factory paint and 1 other paint job. Once I had it blocked and any cracks etc repaied. i sprayed 2 coats of the eliminator on it. Blocked that with 220 grit wet, then 2 coats of primer (lacquer at the time) mostly to fill the 220 scratches, then blocked with 400 wet, and painted it. 26 years later, it's still a 15 footer, and most of that is from being outside for a summer.
    I plan on a repaint this winter.
    The link John posted looks like it's about the same as the Morton Eliminator, just another name, but a "true" spray gel coat it's not.
    Although the price is comparable! I checked with our paint supplier, Finishmaster, and they tell me the Morton Paint Eliminator is still available. I have used the Eliminator and not a comprable product, so take that in stride.
    As far as pinholes and filling fiberglas edges, you need a GOOD 2 part epoxy primer, my vote goes to the Eliminator, but that's me.

Be sure to wear proper protection when spraying ANY type of catalized paint!!! it CAN kill you!!

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

I have always used the idea that, old paint is a better base then new primer! In other words, if the old paint is sticking, and not peeling or blistering, block sand it and feather it out. the seal and prime.
      When I painted my Avanti in 1981, I used 80 grit on my straight line sander and blocked the old paint down/off. I did not remove all of the old paint! There was only the factory paint and 1 other paint job. Once I had it blocked and any cracks etc repaied. i sprayed 2 coats of the eliminator on it. Blocked that with 220 grit wet, then 2 coats of primer (lacquer at the time) mostly to fill the 220 scratches, then blocked with 400 wet, and painted it. 26 years later, it's still a 15 footer, and most of that is from being outside for a summer.
      I plan on a repaint this winter.
      The link John posted looks like it's about the same as the Morton Eliminator, just another name, but a "true" spray gel coat it's not.
      Although the price is comparable! I checked with our paint supplier, Finishmaster, and they tell me the Morton Paint Eliminator is still available. I have used the Eliminator and not a comprable product, so take that in stride.
      As far as pinholes and filling fiberglas edges, you need a GOOD 2 part epoxy primer, my vote goes to the Eliminator, but that's me.

Be sure to wear proper protection when spraying ANY type of catalized paint!!! it CAN kill you!!

Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

I'm using Dupont epoxy primer sealer & hardner...I had to sand down the top because there wer way too many holes/pinpricks in the paint..I'm doing it in class so, when I go to prime it there are 2 ovens plus all the gear to paint. He does insist on masks/resperators when painting, I do it out of safety..The paint on the car is the original paint..Its too worn in some areas & has the same blisters in others..Right now I have the hood off & am using it for practice/learning..I'll see how it comes out next week

Comment

I'm using Dupont epoxy primer sealer & hardner...I had to sand down the top because there wer way too many holes/pinpricks in the paint..I'm doing it in class so, when I go to prime it there are 2 ovens plus all the gear to paint. He does insist on masks/resperators when painting, I do it out of safety..The paint on the car is the original paint..Its too worn in some areas & has the same blisters in others..Right now I have the hood off & am using it for practice/learning..I'll see how it comes out next week

Comment

Working...
          X