Just Bought a 62 Gran Turismo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Bought a 62 Gran Turismo

The 62 Gran Turismo I bought seems really solid and all original. Good shiny black paint job. new carpet, four speed with new hurst shifter (old one came with the car, not sure why it was changed), glass is great, engine and area nice and clean, new tires, excellent new chrome, rides great even on hilly country roads, and windows and doors work great.
    I wanted an earlier hawk with the fins but decided to go ahead and get this car for now.

I would like suggestions for the following and anything else someone would like to volunteer about this kind of car:
    Lots of lifter noise
    Bad clutch chatter
    Front right brake pulls really hard when applied at highway speeds-I have an appointment to get this checked out.

I am very familiar with the 1950 champion which I did a ground up, but not with this 12 year newer model.

Thank you,
    Jimmie
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Congrats on your purchase. As the owner of a black 4 speed GT I can tell you that you will like it. Lifter noise makes it likely the valves need adjusting. Clutch chatter may be caused by oil residue on the clutch facing possibly due to a bad rear main seal. Every time I have experienced severe brake pull in my 62 it has been a seeping wheel cylinder but could also be caused by grease on brake linings.

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
    The 62 Gran Turismo I bought seems really solid and all original. Good shiny black paint job. new carpet, four speed with new hurst shifter (old one came with the car, not sure why it was changed), glass is great, engine and area nice and clean, new tires, excellent new chrome, rides great even on hilly country roads, and windows and doors work great.
    I wanted an earlier hawk with the fins but decided to go ahead and get this car for now.

I would like suggestions for the following and anything else someone would like to volunteer about this kind of car:
    Lots of lifter noise
    Bad clutch chatter
    Front right brake pulls really hard when applied at highway speeds-I have an appointment to get this checked out.

I am very familiar with the 1950 champion which I did a ground up, but not with this 12 year newer model.

Thank you,
    Jimmie
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

If the recommendation above does not fix the brake pulling, then I recommend checking the opposite side brakes. I once spent months working on the brakes on the pulling side of a car that pulled so badly at braking that it was almost not driveable at more than 45mph. I eventually found that the front wheel cylinder on the non pulling side was frozen solid and not functioning. Replacing that immediately fixed it.

Comment

Frank,
        Thanks for the advice. I will keep these things in mind. I spent lots of time on here from 2007 till 2010 while I was restoring my 50 Champion. It feels good to be chatting with Studebaker people again.

Jimmie
        sigpicJimmie
        Orange County, Indiana

Comment

Robert,
          Thanks for the advice. I will keep these things in mind. I spent lots of time on here from 2007 till 2010 while I was restoring my 50 Champion. It feels good to be chatting with Studebaker people again.

Learning about the "other" wheel cylinder being a problem is good to know, Thank you.

Jimmie
          sigpicJimmie
          Orange County, Indiana

Comment

If you do a search on this forum, you will find out why the shifter was probably changed. They are "sloppy" to the max. Mine even left me stranded in the middle of the street, because the pin fell out of the shifter. Not one of Studebaker's better efforts.

Comment

Working...
            X