Fleet vehicles in HCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleet vehicles in HCC

OK, I get hand-me-down copies of HCC now and then. My apologies if this has been covered before. I did do a search to see if it had been discussed here before.

I picked up the April 2014 issue and turned to the article about Studebaker's fleet offerings - mostly with postwar model coverage. There's a lot of photos of '63 models and even talk about those devoid of trim and glitz. But never ONCE did I see the name "Standard" mentioned. I find that amazing really. The article is written by one of their regular columnists (not BP, of course!), but once again it shows the LACK of knowledge and/or research these guys demonstrate when they do this stuff - obviously from memory.
    The Scostman is talked about at length - and dissed to a degree, by a disgruntled Canadian dealer who opined that every Scotsman ditched a sale of a regular Stude. Better, I guess, to have the doors close than to sell cars!
    But my main critique here is the lack of mention of the Standard line. Amazing. And the relative dismissal of the Chevybaker fleet sales was amazing too. I like HCC overall, but they need more writers who know how to use books and the internet - and have access to TW too!
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Was it May, or April issue? RQ expressed his disappointment as well: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=hemmings

Craig

Comment

Yeah - May issue - hey I was readin' to put myself to sleep! Still - like I say. No use of the word "standard" even to mention regular equipment let alone a model line! Being an informed Stude type, I found it short-sighted and misleading. Of course, if I'd just taken a break from polishing my 66 Mustang or 69 El Camino, I might figure I was ready to tell my buddies all I knew about them Larks that AMC built!
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hmmm... Have uninformed automotive writers ever written garbled information about Studebakers in the past?

Will they ever get the story straight in the future??
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Let's face it, most people don't care, it is only us obsessives.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

The problem is for anyone in the future doing any kind of research will find this inaccurate information & presume it to be valid because it came from "such a reliable source." I wish journals, especially HCC, have their writers search from manufacturers accounts to proofread & correct any of these inaccuracies. One would think they would have a library at the least as complete as some of us have to lean on for information, rather than what seems to be from a visitor to the local cruise night.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
            X