Introducing: Gertie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing: Gertie!

And, of course, there's always TW in which you could write up a saga or ongoing commentary of the work you do.
    I never used to like the early Larks. Now, for some reason, I look at your photos and I could see myself driving a little 2-door like that and enjoying it. Naturally it would have to be some bright, flashy color.
    The Cathcart engine sounds like a winner. Please remember photos and ocassional update for TW.

And, of course, there's always TW in which you could write up a saga or ongoing commentary of the work you do.
    I never used to like the early Larks. Now, for some reason, I look at your photos and I could see myself driving a little 2-door like that and enjoying it. Naturally it would have to be some bright, flashy color.
    The Cathcart engine sounds like a winner. Please remember photos and ocassional update for TW.

Comment

Introducing: Gertie!

Here's Gertie, the next one in the shop:

59 Lark VI, 6 cyl. Auto.

She came from JP in July. Runs and drives; new brakes and exhaust. Front clip loosely installed. Decent body- needs some floor work, replacement fenders are doped up. Interior shot. Pretty much complete.

Plan is to restore over Winter, starting now. The engine runs, but seems a little tired. I ordered one of Bill Cathcart's Stage 4 engines; will pick it up at York if it's done. ([:0] Keeping it 6 cylinder?!? Heaven forfend!!) The original FOM seems to work OK, but will go through it while the engine's out; so she'll be a flattie with a flighty[)]

I'll be replacing the Ross steering box with the box and column from a 62. Also be going to a dual M/C via the Turner Brake kit.

We'll get her in the garage and pull the front clip. Next will be the engine and trans. Then all interior comes out, and windshield and rear window in preparation for new headliner. We'll get the floors patched and POR-15'ed. Any body work will be done, including removing rear fenders, clean and POR-15, and reinstall. Old weatherstrip removed, new replacements purchased. Once engine is in, front clip will be cut-in and installed, engine compartment detailed and sealed up, all body panels aligned, prepped and painted (same blue). Headliner, windlace, and windows installed, then carpet and hidden stereo. Seats recovered- not sure whether as original or different material. New door and kick panels. Still deciding between the full wheel covers, or poverty caps- but DEFINITELY wide whites![^]

The goal is to have it fully roadworthy and hopefully mostly together by Lancaster. My plan is not to build a trailer queen, but a solid daily driver. Bill Cathcart's upgrades should make it a decent little road car.

I'l probably post links to any new pics here instead of the actual pics in deference to our poor old dial-uppers (like me![:I]).

Above schedule subject to change due to business commitments- and if JP sends me anything of his to work on[8D]

And awaaay we go!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
      Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I'm tellin' ya, it's the wide whites!!

This should be a realistic driver... it'll be interesting to hear a flattie with dual carbs and dual exhausts (quietly, of course!!)

Gertie's getting her own 1 gig memory stick; that's about a 1000 picture capacity! So there'll be plenty of pictures of the whole process[^]

And I'll be glad to do something for TW- e-mail sent!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I'm tellin' ya, it's the wide whites!!

This should be a realistic driver... it'll be interesting to hear a flattie with dual carbs and dual exhausts (quietly, of course!!)

Gertie's getting her own 1 gig memory stick; that's about a 1000 picture capacity! So there'll be plenty of pictures of the whole process[^]

And I'll be glad to do something for TW- e-mail sent!

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

That car cost you less then I paid to for my GT's belt line chrome, but you'll have more fun with a entire car.

JDP/Maryland
            64 R2 GT cost to date
            $60,222.25
            63 GT Hawk
            63 Lark 2 door
            59 Scotsman
            54 Starlight
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

That car cost you less then I paid to for my GT's belt line chrome, but you'll have more fun with a entire car.

JDP/Maryland
              64 R2 GT cost to date
              $60,222.25
              63 GT Hawk
              63 Lark 2 door
              59 Scotsman
              54 Starlight
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Yeah, John! And if you thought you were free of ol' Gert, I'll be after you for new interior stuff when I get to that stage

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Yeah, John! And if you thought you were free of ol' Gert, I'll be after you for new interior stuff when I get to that stage

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I can't tell you how happy I am you ended up with the old gal. It was like finding a good home for a 3 legged dog, not everyone would see the potential.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 R2 GT cost to date
                    $60,222.25
                    63 GT Hawk
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    59 Scotsman
                    54 Starlight
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I can't tell you how happy I am you ended up with the old gal. It was like finding a good home for a 3 legged dog, not everyone would see the potential.

JDP/Maryland
                      64 R2 GT cost to date
                      $60,222.25
                      63 GT Hawk
                      63 Lark 2 door
                      59 Scotsman
                      54 Starlight
                      52 Starliner
                      51 Commander
                      39 Coupe express
                      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Good luck with the old girl. I'm sure she'll look great!

Comment

Good luck with the old girl. I'm sure she'll look great!

Comment

Another funny point relating to seeing potential...

For whatever reason, in the early Larks, I don't care for the HT or convertible, but love the sedans and wagons; 62 & 63, prefer the hardtop; 64-66, I don't care for the restyle- front or rear, particularly the 66 nose... (of course, all subject to change at a moment's notice!).

And then there's my wide whitewall tire fetish....

Go figure...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Another funny point relating to seeing potential...

For whatever reason, in the early Larks, I don't care for the HT or convertible, but love the sedans and wagons; 62 & 63, prefer the hardtop; 64-66, I don't care for the restyle- front or rear, particularly the 66 nose... (of course, all subject to change at a moment's notice!).

And then there's my wide whitewall tire fetish....

Go figure...

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X