Road Trip to the 2015 International Meet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Trip to the 2015 International Meet

I am promoting a possible road trip from California to St Louis next year, returning via Route 66. Nothing is firm yet, just planting the seed. If there are folks along the route interested in joining in, let me know. My idea is to travel by the most direct route from Sacramento to St Louis, enjoy the IM, then return at a leisurely pace seeing the sights along Route 66. It's a bucket list thing for me, maybe also for others. Starting now we have a year to plan, get our cars in shape and save the funds to do it. Early calculation makes it about a 16 day trip from Sac and back.

Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

If the brother and I go to vend it wouldn't work for me, but it sounds like fun. Our chapter traveled together to the meet in Dallas years ago with a few other Studebakers who joined us and the reaction of other travelers was well worth it.
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sounds like fun.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I may be able to link up in the Sacto area, after visiting my son & family in LA again next summer, and roll back to Missouri with y'all. Plan is to take the 56J this time. That late in the year, I may not have my wing-men along though, because they'd be in school already

Comment

Joe, if that plan works, hopefully you can stop by my place again with your '56 Golden Hawk (and maybe a few friends)?
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
            Joe, if that plan works, hopefully you can stop by my place again with your '56 Golden Hawk (and maybe a few friends)?
            Sounds good Howard. You are less than 5 miles form my son's place, so very easy to do, and will look forward to it. I just hope it turns out that I can make it out there. Would also be good to caravan back with Pat et al.

Comment

Joe, It sure would be fun to have an experienced long hauler like you on the trip. I hope we can make it work, Please help spread the word.

Pat
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA

Comment

at this point, it's a definite possibility. keep us posted.
                1951 Custom
                1958 Packard Hawk < resto project
                1962 Champ
                1963 Standard R1 4 speed
                1963 Avanti R1
                1963 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
                2006 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Please keep us updated on this as it would deserve some recognition at the meet.
                  Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                  1961 Hawk 4-speed
                  1967 Avanti
                  1961 Lark 2 door
                  1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I see one of your stops is in Ft. Collins Colorado. It it's breakfast time you need to try the Silver Star bakery and cafe .....best home made cinnamon rolls ever!
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

BEZ Thanks for the tip, actually that stop is in Cheyenne WY, a ways North of Ft Collins. All of the stops and road selections on this map are tentative at this point, this is just a first draft to get folks thinking about it. Jeff hope you can join in!

Pat
                      Pat Dilling
                      Olivehurst, CA

Comment

If you took I-80 up through Omaha instead of cutting through southeast Nebraska, you might catch a few folks from our local chapter. I even have a spare bedroom which I could let someone use of need be. Even if you can't make it through Omaha, I might be able to meet up farther south if you decide to stop (say in Kansas City) for lunch. I'm finally attending a meet in 2015 (my first!) and so long as there aren't any major hangups in my plan, I'll even be driving the Lark there. I'm highly excited.
                        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

How many miles a day do you plan to run and what would be the stop points? This could be a fun trip but would take a lot of planning and would need a couple people to work everything out so it wouldn't end up a big cluster. Heck even the midwest and east coast guys could set up things so we could make the route 66 trip with you back to Ca.and make our own trip back.

Comment

Its nice to think about, and would be a fun thing to do. It would also promote & inspire confidence in driving our Studes (safety in numbers, collective wisdom and spare parts), while making lots of friends along the way. It would also require some logistics' planning however. As mentioned, I hope to tag along some of the way, and can lean over a fender and scratch my head with the best of'em, if anyone should break down

Comment

There is a heck of a neat museum in Kearney, Nebraska on I-80 that would be worth a 2 hour stop... if you have enough time.

Comment

Working...
                              X