Avanti II gas filler door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti II gas filler door

My Avanti II has this black butterfly looking handle that turns to keep the fuel door closed. This really looks terrible, is this what came on the car originally? I haven't been able to find any pictures of these to tell if this was original or not. I am thinking of trying to find a lock cylinder such as you would find on a tool box such as Craftsman. Has anyone else dealt with this or have some suggestions?
    Avantidave
    1978 Avanti II

It should have a tool box/desk drawer lock like you are thinking of.
    JS
    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Sometime in the 1970's Avanti Motors added locking caps to the car. It sounds like it's what you have. If you can't find exactly what you need at a hardware store that sells cabinet locks, give Nostalgic Motors or Jon Myer a call. You might also be able to swap the flap out for an earlier, non-lockable flap with the spring clip. They should be able to advise you on that.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

As Gunslinger posted, hardware store cabinet lock will work. Thant's what Avanti used in 1981. See attached pictures of my 81. Hope this helps.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1691725

Comment

Thanks for the info, I found just what I needed at the local True Value hardware store for only $6. Looks a whole lot better! What would we do without these forums to help one another. Gunslinger has helped me on more than one occasion as well as many others.
          Thanks, Dave
          Avantidave
          1978 Avanti II

Comment

Amen. I've been helped many times myself. Thanks guys!
            Originally posted by davette59 View Post
            Thanks for the info, I found just what I needed at the local True Value hardware store for only $6. Looks a whole lot better! What would we do without these forums to help one another. Gunslinger has helped me on more than one occasion as well as many others.
            Thanks, Dave
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

Working...
            X