What is my 1984 Avanti worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is my 1984 Avanti worth?

I've put my 84 up for sale on the Stude Swap Page a couple times now and don't get too much response. I am willing to trade as long as I can pull some cask out of it. It's got 27k original miles with original black paint and original slate leather inside. No frame or hog trough problems. Interior carpet, dash, headliner, door panels are all really nice. The seats are also nice with minor wear on the drivers side. Paint is original with some of the problems they had that year but it still looks good from ten ft but for show it needs a repaint. Tires are about 3k miles old. Car has no sunroof option which I think is a giant plus. I have all the paper work from new including the window sticker. I don't know how to post pictures on the site but from my description, what is it worth??

Originally posted by nels View Post
    I've put my 84 up for sale on the Stude Swap Page a couple times now and don't get too much response. I am willing to trade as long as I can pull some cask out of it. It's got 27k original miles with original black paint and original slate leather inside. No frame or hog trough problems. Interior carpet, dash, headliner, door panels are all really nice. The seats are also nice with minor wear on the drivers side. Paint is original with some of the problems they had that year but it still looks good from ten ft but for show it needs a repaint. Tires are about 3k miles old. Car has no sunroof option which I think is a giant plus. I have all the paper work from new including the window sticker. I don't know how to post pictures on the site but from my description, what is it worth??
    There were two sold on Ebay. One with 23K miles went for $10,700 and the other for $10,000. What were you asking? Bob
    , ,

Comment

Bob, I was asking 14k for it. I've looked at a lot of Avanti II 's and many look god on the top but are badly corroded underneath or just plane worn out. I don't know what cond the ones you mentioned were in?

Comment

Your asking price seems fair to me but it seems like the market for Avanti's of this era is soft right now.

If you want to move it fast, you may have to drop your price. If you can wait I think you will eventually get an offer.

They are truly a fun car to drive.
        Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
        1961 Hawk 4-speed
        1967 Avanti
        1961 Lark 2 door
        1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Nels

Here's one that is currently at $13,600 http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-...vanti&_vxp=mtr

This is the one for $10,700 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-A...US_Cars_Trucks

You may want to try Ebay instead of the swap page. Hard to beat the number of eyeballs on Ebay. My experience on Ebay with cars is quite good.

Good Luck

Bob
          , ,

Comment

Your price seems fair to me Nels, hard to beat low mileage cars, good luck with your sale. Plus yours is Black a great color on about any car. I'm also surprised it hasn't sold.
            101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

In the "big picture"...our Studebaker forum is not well attended by our own SDC membership. I suspect, the specific Studebaker swap page, even less. I agree that Ebay is the best to get a broader audience. Even then, you may need to be patient. Despite the numbers we are being fed , on the economy, I believe we are deliberately being lied to with the hopes of lifting us from the doldrums by wishful thinking.

You need to set a reserve to protect yourself from getting hosed, and be prepared to re-list if it don't meet reserve. (Perhaps include a "buy it now" price.)

Who knows, you might get lucky and find someone not participating in the current "malaise" that has escaped his parent's basement, dreams of an Avanti, and has cash!

Seriously, exposing your Avanti to us here, (and the swap page), is like whispering across a stadium...Ebay will put it on the "Jumbotron" where all who look can see it. There are folks half a century old that have no clue of what an Avanti is. Younger wage earners, even less. Could be that, by listing on Ebay, you'll ignite a passion in someone who sees an Avanti for the first time.

Best wishes for your sale of the car. Keep us informed on how it goes.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I just helped Paul Johnson find a buyer for his rather nice 84, I figured he would have gotten $15000.00 when on e-bay but only went to $10,000 and Paul was good with that, after e-bay closed the buyer never came forward so Paul was stuck with it until I sent him a buyer, Paul also knew my buyer from his Studebaker past when living in California, Steve flew out to West Virgina and drove it back, I talked to him yesterday and he was in Nevada with no problems, so how bad do you want to sell it? I might have a buyer in New Zealand and I can ask but keeping in mind the cost of getting it to the west coast and then to New Zealand adds up and makes the total a lot more....Bob
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

I am in the market for another later Avanti. Even then, I do not look at the Swap Page.

I suggest, as others have, to put it on eBay. Include good pictures and description. Have a low starting bid and a reserve that you can live with. I do not reccomend a Buy it Now price. Keep it as an auction. Some people see a BIN as equal to the reserve and may not bid.

There is currently an auction of four nice late model Avantis in MO. As of late last night, the bids on the four range from $4625 to $7190 and the auction ends tomorrow.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In the big picture I don't think the swap page is a very big audience of people to try to sell to. If you don't want to mess with ebay why not try Turning Wheels? You get one free ad a year.
                    TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

eBay and TW is probably a good place to sell. Actually, the local cruise ins is not a bad spot. I just don't seem to get around to going to them. I'm not trying to make a killing on it I just would like to get close to what it is worth but would certainly consider less just to be done with it. I bought another Stude and it would be nice to have the sale of this one finance a good portion of the new one especially if I also took another Stude in trade.

Comment

Nels, try an ad in the Avanti magazine where you'll reach a somewhat captive audience.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                          I just helped Paul Johnson find a buyer for his rather nice 84, I figured he would have gotten $15000.00 when on e-bay but only went to $10,000 and Paul was good with that, after e-bay closed the buyer never came forward so Paul was stuck with it until I sent him a buyer, Paul also knew my buyer from his Studebaker past when living in California, Steve flew out to West Virgina and drove it back, I talked to him yesterday and he was in Nevada with no problems, so how bad do you want to sell it? I might have a buyer in New Zealand and I can ask but keeping in mind the cost of getting it to the west coast and then to New Zealand adds up and makes the total a lot more....Bob
                          Bob, I may end up talking to you about this, especially if nothing happened soon. I'm headed to Denver and then Phoenix for a little while so can't physically do much in the next week or ten days anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                            I think the worst thing about Steve flying in was he was on a red eye flight that arrived at Dulles at 5:17 am. We had a little trouble connecting at the terminal because it had been a few years since I had picked up anyone there, but we finally got together. And, he bought breakfast.
                            Steve called me from somewhere in Wyoming a couple days ago saying he was bored with the dull road and that he was running 80 mph most of the time with no problems and was getting 21 - 22 mpg. If he was running 80 on the speedometer reading he was actually closer to 90. He had stopped in South Bend and demonstrated a burnout for the ladies at the Museum store. I think he's having fun.
                            Interesting thing- the reason he flew back to drive it was because he couldn't get a hauler to pick it up even though I said I can take it to I-70 to meet them. I had him call Peg and she said truckers don't like to haul in to California because of strict California rules, that they get stopped and fined for Mickey Mouse things.
                            Last edited by 53k; 08-10-2014, 08:28 PM.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Stu, AOA and TW's are both excellent places to sell but by the time the ad hits the audience it will be in the middle of winter and the Avanti will be packed away and any buyers will be in hibernation.

Comment

Working...
                              X