No announcement yet.

Rust never sleeps in our neck of the woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This car is really not bad at all! The frame is probably OK, unless it had salt get into the tip-up over the rear axle. Easy test is a few hits with a ball-pein hammer. The rest is nothing but refreshing work!

I personally would not be interested in it, but only because that particular model doesn't interest me. If someone wants it to restore and sell, it's probably too high. If you want it because you like the car- provided the frame isn't destroyed- it may be worth it!

A good alternative would be to get yourself a nice little unloved Lark and build a hot rod out of it! Much cheaper, and much more character[8D] You could get the body, and over time gather all the pieces you need, and have a lot of fun put.......

Oh, yeah.........

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

This car is really not bad at all! The frame is probably OK, unless it had salt get into the tip-up over the rear axle. Easy test is a few hits with a ball-pein hammer. The rest is nothing but refreshing work!

I personally would not be interested in it, but only because that particular model doesn't interest me. If someone wants it to restore and sell, it's probably too high. If you want it because you like the car- provided the frame isn't destroyed- it may be worth it!

A good alternative would be to get yourself a nice little unloved Lark and build a hot rod out of it! Much cheaper, and much more character[8D] You could get the body, and over time gather all the pieces you need, and have a lot of fun put.......

Oh, yeah.........

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I agree with everyone. My thoughts are on the line. If someone was looking for this type of car than go for it. I agree $15 is a fair number but I have missed out on many of my dream cars because of an asking price that in the end should not have been a deal breaker. As far as restoring cost my personal est.(based on restoring over 15 mid year Corvettes would be between $30,000 and $35,000 , doing all the work myself. This would be a complete body off. Now, I know you all know I'm nuts(a true car lover). What it would bring when done, hard to say but with $45,000 in it I think I could get my money back. O well that's why there are so many flavors of ice cream. Everyone has a different taste. Good luck to the new owner. Now on Bams thought of getting a Lark and driving it, that would be great until you started a body off and then you would be way a head to start with the Pontiac.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
        Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I agree with everyone. My thoughts are on the line. If someone was looking for this type of car than go for it. I agree $15 is a fair number but I have missed out on many of my dream cars because of an asking price that in the end should not have been a deal breaker. As far as restoring cost my personal est.(based on restoring over 15 mid year Corvettes would be between $30,000 and $35,000 , doing all the work myself. This would be a complete body off. Now, I know you all know I'm nuts(a true car lover). What it would bring when done, hard to say but with $45,000 in it I think I could get my money back. O well that's why there are so many flavors of ice cream. Everyone has a different taste. Good luck to the new owner. Now on Bams thought of getting a Lark and driving it, that would be great until you started a body off and then you would be way a head to start with the Pontiac.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
          Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

I agree with both of you. I have to admit I have been hesitant to go all out on my Lark because it was "just" a 6/Auto. My gut keeps saying don't sink the money into it. Sure, a lot of you would say to get out of the hobby if you want to make money, and I'm not in it to make money, however, it's comforting to know you could get most of your money back on the right car if you had to (and I have had to in the past). That's why I am also keen on that Daytona in Ca. No rust repairs, likely worth sinking a few bucks into. Now what I'd really like to find is a rust free legit R2 Lark to put my $$ into. Anyone??
            Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

I agree with both of you. I have to admit I have been hesitant to go all out on my Lark because it was "just" a 6/Auto. My gut keeps saying don't sink the money into it. Sure, a lot of you would say to get out of the hobby if you want to make money, and I'm not in it to make money, however, it's comforting to know you could get most of your money back on the right car if you had to (and I have had to in the past). That's why I am also keen on that Daytona in Ca. No rust repairs, likely worth sinking a few bucks into. Now what I'd really like to find is a rust free legit R2 Lark to put my $$ into. Anyone??
              Todd

63 Lark 2dr Sedan

Comment

Todd-

We've all seen your efforts to sell your Lark a few times, including your list of stuff you've already bought for it- looks like you've already "sunk the money into it"! Sure, it needs plenty more to finish; but you're in this deep, and the majority of the leg-work is done. As you've seen, the market can't give you what you want out of it.

As I see it, you have two viable options:

1. Put in the money/effort to get it together. That will get you a fun car to enjoy! If you do so and decide you don't want it, at least it will be salable; and with what you've planned, it may get near what you've spent. If not, you will have gotten the stuff gone out of your garage, and saved a Stude in the process.

2. List all the parts individually on eBay and take what the market gives you. You may come out close to your investment, may come out a little ahead; depends on what you've got, and what the market is at the time.

Either way, you've taken action on a bunch of stuff you currently are having a hard time getting interested in.

Personally, I vote you make up your mind once and for all to plunge ahead and get it built! I'm pretty confident that once you get it together and drive it, you'll wonder how you could have ever doubted your plan!

I speak from experience on this[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Todd-

We've all seen your efforts to sell your Lark a few times, including your list of stuff you've already bought for it- looks like you've already "sunk the money into it"! Sure, it needs plenty more to finish; but you're in this deep, and the majority of the leg-work is done. As you've seen, the market can't give you what you want out of it.

As I see it, you have two viable options:

1. Put in the money/effort to get it together. That will get you a fun car to enjoy! If you do so and decide you don't want it, at least it will be salable; and with what you've planned, it may get near what you've spent. If not, you will have gotten the stuff gone out of your garage, and saved a Stude in the process.

2. List all the parts individually on eBay and take what the market gives you. You may come out close to your investment, may come out a little ahead; depends on what you've got, and what the market is at the time.

Either way, you've taken action on a bunch of stuff you currently are having a hard time getting interested in.

Personally, I vote you make up your mind once and for all to plunge ahead and get it built! I'm pretty confident that once you get it together and drive it, you'll wonder how you could have ever doubted your plan!

I speak from experience on this[^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Todd, if you are interested in that car, why not see if you can get the owner's agreement to haul the car to an autobody shop, and get it up on a hoist. Then you and he can both see what's good and what's not. And have a professional auto appraiser come along to render an expert opinion on it's value. Might cost you a few hundred dollars out of pocket to get this done. If it gets the owner to lower his price to a realistic level, you win. If he refuses to budge on it you are still ahead, because you will have avoided buying a car that will get you buried face-down. And it's a win for the owner, too, because he gets an appraisal done at no cost to him, and if he cannot sell the car to you, he will at least have an appraisal he can quote in future attempts to sell the car.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Todd, if you are interested in that car, why not see if you can get the owner's agreement to haul the car to an autobody shop, and get it up on a hoist. Then you and he can both see what's good and what's not. And have a professional auto appraiser come along to render an expert opinion on it's value. Might cost you a few hundred dollars out of pocket to get this done. If it gets the owner to lower his price to a realistic level, you win. If he refuses to budge on it you are still ahead, because you will have avoided buying a car that will get you buried face-down. And it's a win for the owner, too, because he gets an appraisal done at no cost to him, and if he cannot sell the car to you, he will at least have an appraisal he can quote in future attempts to sell the car.

Comment

What Gord said. Let both parties be educated on it. Also,keep in mind that a 390HP 427 in 4200+lb car is not going be that quick. Just different.
                        Wayne

Comment

What Gord said. Let both parties be educated on it. Also,keep in mind that a 390HP 427 in 4200+lb car is not going be that quick. Just different.
                          Wayne

Comment

Working...
                          X