Most Desirable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Desirable?

I've been reading stuff about Studebakers all over the net, and have got yet another question! I see a lot about "most desirable" or "most collectible" year or model. I'm guessing that "most collectible" would pertain to historic occurrences in a certain year, or number of models produced, or something. What constitutes a Studebaker to be "most desirable"? I love them all!

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
    Louisiana
    1950 Commander

Simply supply and demand. Even if a car is rare, say a 4 door Lark 6 cylinder with AC, if there is little demand, the value will be low. On the other hand, if you have a few 100 collectors looking for a handful of Golden Hawks, Speedsters , Avanti powered cars and the like, the values will be high. It's the same throughout the hobby, a fuel injected 57 Chevy might would sell for over 100K, a six cylinder 4 door Chevy, 0ne tenth of that.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date
    $59856.52
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Lark 2 door
    59 Scotsman
    54 Starlight
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Simply supply and demand. Even if a car is rare, say a 4 door Lark 6 cylinder with AC, if there is little demand, the value will be low. On the other hand, if you have a few 100 collectors looking for a handful of Golden Hawks, Speedsters , Avanti powered cars and the like, the values will be high. It's the same throughout the hobby, a fuel injected 57 Chevy might would sell for over 100K, a six cylinder 4 door Chevy, 0ne tenth of that.

JDP/Maryland
      64 R2 GT cost to date
      $59856.52
      63 GT Hawk
      63 Lark 2 door
      59 Scotsman
      54 Starlight
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Most desirable or most collectible can mean the same thing. Some Studebaker examples would be 47-52 Starlight coupes and convertibles, 53-54 hardtops and coupes and 56-58 Golden Hawks. Four door sedans tend to be at the bottom of the desirable/collectible scale, but their value will go up as the number of more desirable body styles available decreases.

Terry
        27 Dictator sedan
        54 Commander Starliner

Comment

Most desirable or most collectible can mean the same thing. Some Studebaker examples would be 47-52 Starlight coupes and convertibles, 53-54 hardtops and coupes and 56-58 Golden Hawks. Four door sedans tend to be at the bottom of the desirable/collectible scale, but their value will go up as the number of more desirable body styles available decreases.

Terry
          27 Dictator sedan
          54 Commander Starliner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP
            a six cylinder 4 door Chevy, 0ne tenth of that.
            ...and a 6 cylinder 4 door Studebaker, one tenth of of the 6 cylinder 4 door Chevy.

In general, Studebakers are not as desirable as similar Chevys, Fords, or MoPars...therefore, they are less expensive to purchase. Even though far fewer numbers of Studebakers were produced, even fewer collectors are interested in the Studebakers. This is good news to us since it keeps the cost of our hobby relatively low.

I'm going to take a stab at a list of "the most desirable" Post War Studebakers (most to least) based on what I believe to be current value. This is not MY list (MY most desirable Studebakers would be different than this list), but it's how I think the TOTAL market would line them up. All cars would be #1 cars and be bone stock. I'm not including any super limited production, 1 off, or experimental models.

Avanti powered Hawks
            Avantis
            Golden Hawks
            '55 Speedsters
            Avanti powered Larks
            '53-54 Starliners
            '53-54 Starlights
            '47-52 Convertibles
            Other Hawks
            '55 Coupes and Hardtops (non Speedster)
            Lark Convertibles
            '50-51 Starlights
            '50-51 Business Coupes
            2 door wagons
            4 door wagons

The list isn't real "pure". For example, an R1/FOM '63 Hawk with no other options wouldn't be more desirable than an R2 Avanti.

Other ideas?

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP
              a six cylinder 4 door Chevy, 0ne tenth of that.
              ...and a 6 cylinder 4 door Studebaker, one tenth of of the 6 cylinder 4 door Chevy.

In general, Studebakers are not as desirable as similar Chevys, Fords, or MoPars...therefore, they are less expensive to purchase. Even though far fewer numbers of Studebakers were produced, even fewer collectors are interested in the Studebakers. This is good news to us since it keeps the cost of our hobby relatively low.

I'm going to take a stab at a list of "the most desirable" Post War Studebakers (most to least) based on what I believe to be current value. This is not MY list (MY most desirable Studebakers would be different than this list), but it's how I think the TOTAL market would line them up. All cars would be #1 cars and be bone stock. I'm not including any super limited production, 1 off, or experimental models.

Avanti powered Hawks
              Avantis
              Golden Hawks
              '55 Speedsters
              Avanti powered Larks
              '53-54 Starliners
              '53-54 Starlights
              '47-52 Convertibles
              Other Hawks
              '55 Coupes and Hardtops (non Speedster)
              Lark Convertibles
              '50-51 Starlights
              '50-51 Business Coupes
              2 door wagons
              4 door wagons

The list isn't real "pure". For example, an R1/FOM '63 Hawk with no other options wouldn't be more desirable than an R2 Avanti.

Other ideas?

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

As an owner of an Avanti, I think that there is probably more interest from collectors in Golden Hawks then the former (at least prices seem to reflect that). I also think that many are now considering factory R series Larks more desirable than the Speedsters. Given the relative scarcity of them, I would break out the '64 ragtops and move them up the list from the other Lark convertibles.

But you know the story on opinions.....

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Dick,

As an owner of an Avanti, I think that there is probably more interest from collectors in Golden Hawks then the former (at least prices seem to reflect that). I also think that many are now considering factory R series Larks more desirable than the Speedsters. Given the relative scarcity of them, I would break out the '64 ragtops and move them up the list from the other Lark convertibles.

But you know the story on opinions.....

Gary

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

My dad likes the "bullet nose" cars. When he informed me on his intentions to begin this project, I started digging. When I learned that the bullet nose design was only produced for two years, I was afraid the parts would be impossible to find. I haven't come across that issue yet, but I'm sure we will. Personally, I like the big ones; the "granny" cars, as my son says. Having five kids, those little two doors just aren't appealing to me.

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
                    Louisiana
                    1950 Commander

Comment

My dad likes the "bullet nose" cars. When he informed me on his intentions to begin this project, I started digging. When I learned that the bullet nose design was only produced for two years, I was afraid the parts would be impossible to find. I haven't come across that issue yet, but I'm sure we will. Personally, I like the big ones; the "granny" cars, as my son says. Having five kids, those little two doors just aren't appealing to me.

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
                      Louisiana
                      1950 Commander

Comment

The good thing is that '50 and '51 were banner sales years for Studebaker, so parts aren't as scarce as you'd think. And a lot of the chassis parts went unchanged for years, so availability is good.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                        '63 F2/Lark Standard
                        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                        www.studebakersandiego.com
                        Clark in San Diego
                        '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

The good thing is that '50 and '51 were banner sales years for Studebaker, so parts aren't as scarce as you'd think. And a lot of the chassis parts went unchanged for years, so availability is good.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard
                          www.studebakersandiego.com
                          Clark in San Diego
                          '63 Standard (F2) "Barney"

Comment

From what I have experienced(in people trying to buy mine )1961 4-speed Hawks must be very desirable.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                            sigpic
                            1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                            Lewisville,NC

Comment

From what I have experienced(in people trying to buy mine )1961 4-speed Hawks must be very desirable.

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                              sigpic
                              1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                              Lewisville,NC

Comment

Working...
                              X